Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Low Pings WITHOUT Fastpath!!!

This is a discussion on Low Pings WITHOUT Fastpath!!! within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Zico I repeated my initial complaint of slow/sluggish loading of websites and that my friend had the ...

prosser13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Low Pings WITHOUT Fastpath!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
      I repeated my initial complaint of slow/sluggish loading of websites and that my friend had the problem resolved by having the Max Delay lowered. The guy on Tier 3 said something about it not lowering pings (***I can't confirm 100% what he said as at this point I was disturbed by my pet rottweiler**) to which I repeated about my friend having his problem fixed with the Max Delay being lowered
      I got through by saying I had an Error 300 problem reoccur, but Tier 3 know how to fix it and it should only take 5 minutes.

When I got put through I then asked for the precise way to reset the router as I wasn't sure if I was doing it right, the op told me, and my broadband was working! Then as a "by the way", I mentioned I was having very high pings (yes, I used the "ping" word) which was making gaming impossible and causing websites to time out - my "friend" had had the same problem, and he had done something...erm...I think it was changing Max Delay from something to something...I think it was 32 to 8?

The op said she had no idea if it would help, and doubted it would, but she would do it anyway

And that was me sorted!

2. Advertisement
      Zico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury (NDCAN)
      Broadband ISP: VFast.co.uk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prosser13 View Post
      The op said she had no idea if it would help, and doubted it would, but she would do it anyway

And that was me sorted!
      Glad you got your line sorted. I can't believe you mentioned ping though

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
      Glad you got your line sorted. I can't believe you mentioned ping though
      Mate, I dont know where your getting you info from. I work for Sky Broadband Tech, Tier 1 though, but I know for fact that you CAN mention pings to Tier 3, and Max Delays, and they will adjust the Max Delays.

Its only if you mention FASTPATH that they get annoyed.

TBH, call any night after 11pm, or after 2am if at all possible, because they are the people that actually know a lot of the stuff that other advisors dont. Thats cos they are the email teams, and deal with more customers than any other team, despite what the other teams say. Also they have more time to deal with the issue, as it is not call after call at this time.

seriously, after 2am is the best time to call, you are guaranteed to get someone who understands the problem, and knows how to deal with it appropriately. You can even mention pings to these people, they all know what they are....Amazing, aint it!!!

scuba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stourbridge
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi all, new member here, after reading this thread i have managed to get my max delays reduced from 32 to 8 both up and down and my ping has dropped by about 20. (55-35) So this really does work!

I managed to get a ticket raise directly with tier 3, this was due to email corrospondance I was having over a sky + issue, when that was sorted i directly replied to email (Customer care escalations) thanking them and mentioned that I wanted my max delays reduced and as I was coming to end of my 12 month contract it was in there best interests for me to renew.

Within a day I had an email back telling me it had been passed on to Broadband techical services to resolve, later than day I had an answer machine message at home from Tier 3 saying it wouldn't be a problem to do that, they just needed to speak to me to confirm I definately wanted it doing and left a ticket number. I didn't want to wait for the call back and it took me a couple of times to get through, Tier 1 basically pushed me straight to Tier 3 after reading the notes on my account, long waiting time to Tier 3 meant I tried again today and got through within 5 mins, even got passed to the girl dealing with my account.

She made the changes from 32 to 8 on my max delays and asked if I wanted the delays changed for upload aswell? I didn't know so she referred it to a collegue, straight away she asked if it was for gaming, I said yes mainly and her collegue recommended she changed it for upload to. She had no problem with the word gaming! B-Band was rebooted and bobs your uncle, a quick ping to google revealed Avg 33ms over a 54ms avg previously. She said she hadn't had many calls about this but now she knows that it works, she'll make the same change for people with similar issues.......so there's Skyuser.net training up the staff!

Many thanks for creating this thread whoever it was, it may just keep me with Sky!

Scuba

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

glad to hear it worked for you.

though I will admit that since I posted this thread, Tier 3 have been getting a lot more calls about Pings, and they are rather overwhelmed about it.

If they knew who I was, they'd hang me from the rafters and seeing as i get on with a lot of them, we dont want that now do we!!!

Woracker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well well well. sounds like im missing out on the reps ur all getting. i said im having high latency problems in online gaming. He replyed latency?
      Just knew nothing was going to happen after that.
      "Are u sure the router is switched on?"
      How would i know if im having ingame lag problems with out the router being on, surly i couldnt connect to the internet, he said bear with me for a bit!
      ROFL
      I mentioned the max_delays he said he knew nothing, asked his superior he knew nothing... then i said my friend had the same problem (so he might remember ^^) Nothing
      i mentioned tier 3
      "Sorry we dont have the technical equipment to do that..."
      Terrible
      Looks like ill have to put up with it for a while, but its getting sorted lol
      Cheers for the tips all, hopefully there will be some more for my next call

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      Mate, I dont know where your getting you info from. I work for Sky Broadband Tech, Tier 1 though, but I know for fact that you CAN mention pings to Tier 3, and Max Delays, and they will adjust the Max Delays.

Its only if you mention FASTPATH that they get annoyed.

TBH, call any night after 11pm, or after 2am if at all possible, because they are the people that actually know a lot of the stuff that other advisors dont. Thats cos they are the email teams, and deal with more customers than any other team, despite what the other teams say. Also they have more time to deal with the issue, as it is not call after call at this time.

seriously, after 2am is the best time to call, you are guaranteed to get someone who understands the problem, and knows how to deal with it appropriately. You can even mention pings to these people, they all know what they are....Amazing, aint it!!!
      I'm only going on some of the other stories that other users have posted.

One thing I have noticed when calling Tier 1 (or any other level 1 type support centre operators) is that if you mention anything that isn’t dealt with in the support literature supplied with the broadband service (gaming pings, CRC/HEC/FEC errors, SNR, etc.) then this can result in the call taking longer to progress through to somebody who may be in a better position.

I've called Sky's support twice and have had a great response from all of the staff I have spoken to. The first time I called I spoke to a lady in Tier 1 I’m not sure she knew what a filtered faceplate was (I was told that I should be using the filters supplied with the Sky router). After the operator checked with a colleague things were cleared up and the call progressed as expected. In the past I've spoken with BT BB support staff (both the overseas centres and UK centres) and have experienced the same situation a number of times.

Sometimes I find keeping things simple in the beginning saves time and helps you get put through to somebody who is better suited to help.

**Edit**
      Perhaps things are getting better when people are calling Sky with issues relating to high pings. Perhaps when this all kicked off, some people called and mentioned Pings and Fastpath too often and created a situation whereby if somebody called about pings, without mentioning Fastpath, the operator's would associate the two and think that the caller was still after getting Fastpath enabled.
      Last edited by Zico; 24-08-07 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      though I will admit that since I posted this thread, Tier 3 have been getting a lot more calls about Pings, and they are rather overwhelmed about it.

If they knew who I was, they'd hang me from the rafters and seeing as i get on with a lot of them, we dont want that now do we!!!
      Is there anyway that you can make a suggestion to those in charge, that perhaps Sky can look into setting the Max Delay figure at a lower rate across the board and still keep interleaving on as standard?

P.S. If they do try to linch you then I'm sure SkyUser members will come and rescue you.

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The thing is while yes the max delays lower the ping and those of us in Tier3 from the start know this. It is still not an "official" problem nor is the solution there for those in Tier3 who are not gamers and dont know how much of a difference it makes.

Hence sometimes they will ask someone about it etc. They are not all gamers like some of us there.

Dont fret though we have been working on getting this as a recognised problem for a good 6 months....am sure someday they might actually listen to those of us who know what we are talking about and what works.

Geezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crayford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Woohoo I just had my max delay lowered by T3 It knocked 30-40 ms off my ping a big thanks to T3,and a big thanks to all you people too.
      Just so you know I phoned CS (2.45am) and asked for my max delay to be lowered they didnt know what I was talking about so I explained as best I could(cos I only know from reading this!)and he put me through to T3 there and then and he fiddled with my connection and hey presto lower pings!so well done sky CS, and thanks to you guys for the info

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast