Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Low Pings WITHOUT Fastpath!!!

This is a discussion on Low Pings WITHOUT Fastpath!!! within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; The Max delay you guys are talking about, is this a router setting or at the exchange....

Pidge369 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Low Pings WITHOUT Fastpath!!!

The Max delay you guys are talking about, is this a router setting or at the exchange.

2. Advertisement
      preetkk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Will if it was at the router you wouldnt need to ring SKY lol as there probly would be a utlity or something through telnet, of course its at the exchange

Pidge369 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I thought the sky router settings can only be changed by them. I cant see my basic settings. Thats why I asked the question. Do you know its the exchange or or you just being cocky?

preetkk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

lol, what it is, sky have got netgear to edit the firmware on the routers to there liking so thats why you cant goto the basic settings page. But there are people who have made utilites that for example get your sky router username and password(i.e to use on a none netgear sky router), change other settings that you cant do through the sky router setup page. So what i was saying was if it was simply done through the router the people who have made these utilities will they would add this feature too

Utility i was on about - Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.3

syK
      syK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headingley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

After a week of trying to get moved to tier3, with no luck, and tier2 never ringing me back i am getting pretty fed up lol. I've talked to several advisers who are all completely useless. What did you guys say to get transfered? I tell them i've got a packet loss issue, and an extremely high ping, to which my advisers reply is, "I'm very sorry sir but we do not deal with ping or stability issues." I asked to have my max delays turned down to which the reply is "Sorry sir we cannot issue you with a ticket unless there is something wrong with your line...(which there is). What did you guys say to them to get transfered? would appreciate some help please maybe its just my bad luck .

-matt

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

You won't (easily) get transferred by T1 if you tell them you're not happy with your pings.

First, call early morning or late night then either tell them your line was capped for an earlier problem which is now resolved so you want T3 to uncap you or tell them you have an extremely slow connection which will also, eventually, get you to T3. Once you're through to T3, politely request they adjust your interleave setting - don't ask for fastpath.

Horrible to have to lie but that's the only way to do it I'm afraid.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

You dont need to lie about your pings, and tbh lying wont get you anywhere. Phoning after 11pm will definetly increase your chances of getting an advisor who knows the correct information.

Max Delays can be changed without going through troubleshooting, but the problem is that you cannot go through to Tier 3 without a ticket. Most advisers, after 11pm, will create a ticket for slow connection and pass that through, but not all of them.

In truth, telling it how it is will be the only way through. If you lie to tier 1 then tell tier 3 the truth, they will just get ****** off and maybe even refuse to change your max delays.

Zico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury (NDCAN)
      Broadband ISP: VFast.co.uk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      You won't (easily) get transferred by T1 if you tell them you're not happy with your pings.

First, call early morning or late night then either tell them your line was capped for an earlier problem which is now resolved so you want T3 to uncap you or tell them you have an extremely slow connection which will also, eventually, get you to T3. Once you're through to T3, politely request they adjust your interleave setting - don't ask for fastpath.

Horrible to have to lie but that's the only way to do it I'm afraid.
      I reported a problem with "Slow" and "Sluggish" loading of websites and that my friend had the same problem fixed by getting Tier 3 to lower the Max Delay settings and that only Tier 3 could do this for him. The Scottish lady on Tier 1 then confirmed that I wanted to report a "Slow Connection" problem.

I then went through the basic trouble shooting with the Tier 1 lady (check micro filters etc.) at which point the lady had to put me briefly on hold when I had told her I have a BT filtered faceplate. After she came back, I was pretty much given a ticket there and then and put through to Tier 3.

I repeated my initial complaint of slow/sluggish loading of websites and that my friend had the problem resolved by having the Max Delay lowered. The guy on Tier 3 said something about it not lowering pings (***I can't confirm 100% what he said as at this point I was disturbed by my pet rottweiler**) to which I repeated about my friend having his problem fixed with the Max Delay being lowered.

The guy on Tier 3 then loaded up my exchange settings and lowered the Max Delay while at the same time bumped up my SNR target to 10 and capped my connection to 2880kbps (personally not a big problem for me as I'm on a long line and had 1mb fixed before switching to Sky - previous Sky sync's were only ever ~2800kbps of a possible ~3300kbps).

Tier 3 then asked me to load a few sites so that he could see data being transferred and finished off by saying that if I had any other problems that I would have to start again with a new ticket.

So far so good.
      Last edited by Zico; 24-08-07 at 11:01 PM.

g30rd13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      Right. Pings are a bit of a sore subject on this forum, as everyone seems to think that Sky pings are bull cookies. Well that is simply not true.

Now you might think the simplest option is to get your line switched to Fastpath and all your worries will be gone. Well, as you all very well know, Sky aint gonna put you on Fastpath, so that plan is out the window.

However, There is something that can be done. If you can survive going through Slow connection t/s for a ping issue, you can get put through to Tier 3, who can then make adjustments that will lower your ping, without sticking you on Fastpath.

'What is this glorious method???' i hear you cry in unison. Well I shall tell you...

Max Delays...

yes thats right. If Tier 3 set your max delays at 8 rather than 32, your pings drop dramatically.

So go ahead, quit asking for Fastpath, start asking for Max delays, cos this way you get the speed and the low ping times.

Indefatigable
      i dont know what to say indefatigable apart from thanks, my ping on cod2 servers was between 80-100 now its betwwen 35-55 and the teir 3 guy sorted my up and down speed from 3.5mb to 5mb down and 300kbps to 670kbps and im not dropping my connection antmore sweetttttttttttttttttttt

i have sexy wife waiting for you all your for free

Zico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury (NDCAN)
      Broadband ISP: VFast.co.uk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g30rd13 View Post
      i have sexy wife waiting for you all your for free
      What's her ping like?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast