Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems Hosting games

This is a discussion on Problems Hosting games within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; when i host games on xbox 360 for gears of war, some people cannot join my games, as they cannot ...

logik211 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Problems Hosting games

when i host games on xbox 360 for gears of war, some people cannot join my games, as they cannot connect to host. i rarely have problems with joining their games though so it must be a problem with my connection. can anyone tell me how to solve this

2. Advertisement
      seaninfrared is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gorseinon, South Wales
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Problems Hosting games

OK, firstly, run a check for xbox live connection via the dashboard. And there should be a test for NAT. Now there are 3 things the NAT can be. Strict, Moderate, Open. I am guessing that your router is moderate. If this is the case... Follow these instructions.

Start up the 360, go to the Network blade, go to edit settings, go to additional settings and then advanced settings. Take a note of the letters and numbers under the “Wired Mac Address” or "Wireless Mac Address" - They should be both the same anyway.

The MAC Address will look something like this:-

00-0D-61-53-E2-52

Browse to your router's setup page usually 192.168.0.1 (This guide is for a Netgear DG834G, read your router manual and substitute your own routers IP Address).

Go into LAN IP Setup. Note the DHCP address range (e.g 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.254), because you will be reserving an address from that range. Click on Address Reservation.
      Type in the address you have chosen to reserve from the range (e.g. 192.168.0.20).
      Type in the MAC Address you wrote down earlier.
      Type in a name of the device Xbox 360 for example
      Click on Add
      Save the changes on your router. Now reboot the Xbox/360 and check the dashboard and make sure it has the ip address you have reserved for it.
      Now you need to put that reserved address into the DMZ.

On the routers setup page, click on WAN Setup. Put the IP address in the Default DMZ Server field (you can only actually type in the last octet of the address).
      Ensure that the Default DMZ Server tick box is ticked.
      Click on Apply. Save the changes. Reboot the router and try the Xbox live test again. Your NAT settings should now be Open.

logik211 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Problems Hosting games

Well the funny thing is i have done the test at different times and my nat is open, it was only one time i remember seeing it at moderate, just today before your post it was open. I have already reserved an ip address for my xbox as with all my computers but i will try the rest of your advice

Thanks, i will let you know if it is any better