Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

XBOX 360 wirelessly as media extender HELP!!

This is a discussion on XBOX 360 wirelessly as media extender HELP!! within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi everyone this post could have gone in a number of sections but i have decided to put it in ...

kanwar786 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: High Wycombe
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

XBOX 360 wirelessly as media extender HELP!!

Hi everyone this post could have gone in a number of sections but i have decided to put it in the gaming section because it is to do with the xbox 360.

Basically i am trying to set up my xbox 360 to my PC wirelessly through windows media center extender. i am using the official sky broadband router Netgear one they currently supply. When i try to set it up by entering the setup key given the setup fails at the second or third tick box thereafter saying 'there has been an error while setting up the connection'.

I have gone to event viewer and seen that the error i am getting is error -209. I have read up a whole host of things on this error and what one should do such as delete secondary mac address, delete certificate and .inf file etc. you get the point. However none of this has worked and so skyuser.co.uk is my last hope. PLEASE help as i have got a new HD TV and would love to set this up correctly. Thank you very much.

Some information about my system.

PC and xbox 360 both connected wirelessly to sky router
      UPNP disabled on SKY router
      i receive error code -209 in evnt viewer.

i was connected to my xbox 360 through windows media centre on Visa previously before getting sky broadband through an ethernet cable. A wired network.

Please note that i can see the xbox 360 in 'computers and devices' in network and sharing centre and i am now getting the error that the extender was not found. please ensure your extender is connected to the same network as the PC, that the firewall is allowing UPNP and that your setup key is correct. What should i do?

Xbox 360: You receive an “Extender Not Found” error message when you try to add an Xbox 360 console to a Windows Vista Media Center-based computer as an Extender
      PLEASE HELP!! i am new to skyuser.co.uk and internet related issues. thanks again.
      Last edited by kanwar786; 24-06-07 at 03:46 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: XBOX 360 wirelessly as media extender HELP!!

Could be a port forwarding issue, You've disabled UPnP on the router so need to open the right ports.

This may help:

Xbox 360: Firewall ports that you must open when you connect an Xbox 360 console to a Windows Media Center-based computer

Does your xbox connect OK with UPnP on? What about with a wired connection?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK i understand i have to forward the relevant ports in order to connect to the xbox 360 but HOW DO I choose whether i want a tcp or UDP forwarding and should i put them in inbound or outbound services?(in the router homepage)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have worked out and forwarded the relevant ports that you mentioned but i am still getting the following erroe message:

Extender Not Found
      Setup could not find you Extender. Verify the Following
      • Your Extender is on and connected to the same network as this computer
      • Your setup key is correct
      • Your firewall is set up to allow UPnP Discovery

Please note i CAN see my xbox 360 in computers and devices in network and sharing centre and i have allowed all sharing to and from it. I don't understand whats wrong. Have you got any other suggestions? thanks.

NB: i have a sneaking suspicion that the setup key the xbox 360 is giving me is not right because for the past 4-6 weeks its been giving me the same key even when i've deleted media centre from the xbox 360's memory in order to try and get a new key. How can i get a new setup key from the xbox 360 for this purpose. BTW does the sky router support multicast because i heard that multicast is essential for media centre to work on xbox 360.
      Last edited by kanwar786; 26-06-07 at 04:01 AM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

that hasn't really worked so i have another idea. Basically my PC and xbox 360 are in the loft. My Netgear sky router is in my parents room one floor below. It is all wirelessly connected because they don't want any wires trailing around the house.

However what i am thinking is that when i want to use windows media centre on my xbox 360 can i use an ethernet standard or crossover cable going from the xbox 360 to my PC's ethernet port which is currently unoccupied.

Is there anyway the ethernet cable can share the internet connection my WG111T USB adapter is getting to make this work. I think i am talking about a kind of wireless to ethernet bridge

If this setup is not possible have you got any other ideas for me to resolve the issues that i have described ala connect wirelessly instead of this idea presented.
      Last edited by kanwar786; 27-06-07 at 12:24 AM.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Crossover cable from 360 to PC.

Setup Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the PC, to share the PC's net connection via the ethernet cable.

But...

You'd be using two loads of NAT on the network - the router and the PC. May cause issues...

And the 360 would be accessing the net via the PC, rather than directly via the router...so the PC needs to be on for XBL, etc.

Try re-enabling UPnP on the router (& the PC if it is disabled on that too - Admin Tools > Services > enable both "UPnP Device Host" & "SSDP Discovery Service" & set both to "Automatic"), & then give it another go. Maybe it needs more than just a bit of port forwarding... 'Course, if it does work only with UPnP turned on, then you run the risk of the "UPnP disconnection bug" which presumably made you disable it in the first place.

Another thing:

Instead of using the Media Centre function, try using Windows Media Player 11 to stream to the 360...not as featured as the media centre extender, but still works well (I use that, as I don't have XP Media Centre Edition).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

tahnks for replying. I have UPNP turned on both the router and the PC and the other services all set to automatic but it still doesn't find the xbox 360. I personally think it is a problem with the setup key the xbox 360 is giving me. How can i get a different setup key from the xbox 360?

btw in my router homepage. Underneath the UPNP portmap table it only shows my port forward for utorrent. Shouldn't it also show the forwarding for the xbox 360. I am sure the reason for not connecting is something to do with this because when i go to 'computers and devices' in network and sharing centre i can see the xbox 360 whenever i turn it on and sharing to and from it is enabled.
      Last edited by kanwar786; 27-06-07 at 02:23 PM.

Splont is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Hi there, new signee here

I too am having woes with my media connection to the 360. Firstly, to get a new key try disconnecting your pc on the 360 system blade/network connections/computers. Should give you a new one.

I have a slightly different problem. I can get my 360 to see my PC and can play music via WMP11 on the dash and set up the extender, BUT, if I power on the next day it can no longer find my pc. This is driving me mad. I then have to keep retrying to get my connection back.

I never had this problem when I was on my old Safecom router and it has only reared its head since switching to Sky and their router. But, I just can't see it being the router??

I have tried UPnP on and off, disabling the firewall and the above. Xbox Live works absolutely fine.

Any ideas???