Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

i need your opinion PLEASE HELP!!

This is a discussion on i need your opinion PLEASE HELP!! within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi ppl, I have been reading posts on the whole issue with SKY Broadband & Gaming ith Sky and im ...

armstrongbe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i need your opinion PLEASE HELP!!

Hi ppl,

I have been reading posts on the whole issue with SKY Broadband & Gaming ith Sky and im getting mixed reactions.

Now im currently with BT Broadband and paying over the odds for Broadband but I get a A* service and no interruptions with gaming.

Only Im paying BT £26 per month for 2mb broadband or i can join Sky Broadband MAX for £10 per month and have 16mb.

What to do...

I dont wanna join Sky and then later find out im having problems with online gaming.

What would you do in my situation have read some of the problems other ppl have been having?
      Last edited by Saturday; 22-06-07 at 10:19 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Arsenaltengu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs down Re: i need your opinion PLEASE HELP!!

No mate stay where you are sky is shocking half the time your not connected

the other half your ping is too big to even try

pointless advertising a 16mb when i got a 2mb service from my last isp which was twice as fast

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: i need your opinion PLEASE HELP!!

Its really a jump that you have to decide for yourself if you want to make it. The only advice I can offer is to check whether you can get the 16mb they advertise, as only peeps like myself who live in an exchange (lol) can get near this. i was in the same boat as you before I got sky ie on bt 2mb but at the time did not play online games. I do now tho and find the service perfectly acceptable - average ping for me is 33ms on interleave. Whether this would be better with a lower ping is debatable as I'm not yet good enougth to notice the difference. What I would say tho is that you must have good line stats for adsl2+ ( skys 16mb service ) to work well for you. There are a lot of factors outside of skys control such as internal wiring that can effect this. Sorry if I rambled on a bit but I suppose the ultimate test is to try it but make sure that everything is optimised first. Then if you are not happy with it you can use the 8 day get out clause and go back to bt
      dave

TRIaXOR™ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSDRU
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

ping for me to jolt.co.uk is an average 43ms on a solid 16Mb connection,

questions you need to ask yourself is how far are you from your local telephone exchange, actual line length and how noisy is your line..

oh and as for downloading Ive hit 1780KBp/s so its damn quick at that too
      Powered by Sky Broadband Unlimited

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenaltengu View Post
      No mate stay where you are sky is shocking half the time your not connected

the other half your ping is too big to even try

pointless advertising a 16mb when i got a 2mb service from my last isp which was twice as fast
      I am about 2.5 miles from the exchange and have had constant full speed since November last year, apart from some drop outs when I first joined which turned out to be my bad extension wiring everything has been fine.
      Dont be put off by this forum, dont forget people only tend to come here if they have a problem like I did at the start. People whos connections have always run fine would never have any reason to come here.
      Well I'm happy and saving loads of money!

Arsenaltengu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I live the same distance away i did when i was with bt and have the same wiring
      only difference is the... (lol) "16MB Service"

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanx for your replies guys jus a few thing i need to ask... Call me stupid if u will but what is a this "PING" everyone is talking about.
      I havent a blue clue what you are talking about when you mention "PING"

In regards to getting the 16mb speed, im pretty sure I can. Im just going my the sky.com website (availabilty checker)

Its says

"You can now get any of the Sky Broadband products detailed below. They’re very popular and subject to availability, so don’t delay."

So I have also used the availabilty checker for other broadband companies like bethere.co.uk who offer upto 24mb and it says I can get that so im pretty confident that i'll be able to get the Sky Max.

Two more things

1) How do I find out where my nearest exchange is and how far away im from it?

2) How do I find out how noisy my line is?

Thanx for your replies guys... Appreciate it.

still

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenaltengu View Post
      I live the same distance away i did when i was with bt and have the same wiring
      only difference is the... (lol) "16MB Service"

Not being funny but have you done any investigation? Router stats etc etc. It just that when I was with BT at 2mb my connection was perfect for 4 years. I joined Sky on Mid at 8mb and it was a nightmare continuous disconnections every hour or so, speed slowing to dial up speed etc etc. Of course because everything was ok with BT I naturally blamed Sky, until I found this forum and started look at router stats and taking some advise, it turned out my extension wiring didn't like Skys faster speeds and was causing thousands of line errors every hour. Continuously crashing the router. Just by disconnected one wire in my extension sockets the errors disappeared and the connection has been rock solid for the last 5 months!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Mate, I havent done any proper investigations

Im not technical minded when it comes to these things, so what investigation should I be doing in order to find out if this SKY BB MAX is actually going to work?

What did you do?

Really appreciate your help

Any light on how to do I find out where my nearest exchange is and how far away im from it and how do I find out how noisy my line is?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by armstrongbe View Post
      Mate, I havent done any proper investigations

Im not technical minded when it comes to these things, so what investigation should I be doing in order to find out if this SKY BB MAX is actually going to work?

What did you do?

Really appreciate your help

Any light on how to do I find out where my nearest exchange is and how far away im from it and how do I find out how noisy my line is?
      Start by extracting your detailed router stats *************************** Sorry mate just realised I was actually talking to the guy above who was slagging Skys speeds. This stats thing dosen't really apply to you if your not with Sky yet. I'm not sre about about checking exchange distance etc but look round the forum, I'm sure there are some links. "Broadband checker" etc.
      Last edited by Koala5; 22-06-07 at 02:05 AM.