Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do I stay or do I go ?

This is a discussion on Do I stay or do I go ? within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; It looks a bit inconclusive to me. Your sync speed is up, but your noise margin is down, and you ...

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Do I stay or do I go ?

It looks a bit inconclusive to me. Your sync speed is up, but your noise margin is down, and you still have quite a lot of errors. If the second set of stats was from your test socket, with everything else disconnected then this doesn't indicate that you can achieve any major improvement. However I don't think you should ask Sky to cap you. If you are happy to accept a slower connection speed, then all you have to do is use the Mognuts utility to set the target noise margin to a level higher than the 7dB default value. If I do this during the day I use a value of 14dB. This gives me a connection speed of about 6.0 to 6.5 Mbps compared with 7.5 to 8 Mbps if I use the default value of 7dB. However the noise margin goes up to about 15dB which gives me plenty of headroom to cope with the significant reduction that occurs during the evening. You may need to experiment to find the best compromise between speed and long-term stability. Also remember to note down what setting you eventually decide on, because if you lose power, or have to reboot the router for other reasons, you will have to change the target noise margin again - because it reverts to the 7dB value.
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Having read your earlier posts a bit more carefully since my previous one, I can now see that your extension wiring is after your filter and is therefore probably not going to have a huge effect. I would definitely try increasing the target noise margin. It will give you a higher noise margin, and much lower errors, although I don't know if it will improve your ping much.
      Useful Links

Lister is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I will definitely try your suggestions thank you.

I know someone else in the same clan as me who is also with Sky and has been for about 3 months. They have an 8 MB line and don't experience stability issues at all. As we are a mature clan (all aged 25+) they have also given some sensible suggestions. They have mentioned that the faster the speed of the line the more unstable it can become. Which is why I suggested the capping of the speed.

I don't like to leave the router on standby all the time so I would just need to reset target noise margin each time I turn the router on wouldn't I ?

I think perhaps the Ventrilo dropping is a red herring as it is also occurring to other people in the clan also who do not have sky. This might be a bug with ventrilo.

Have left all extension leads out for the time being and removed the surge protector on the line in case that was affecting it as well.

Getting a ping last night of around 27 - 30 which is not too bad and playable even in matches.

Thanks again for your continued help and thumbs up to this great community.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I agree with Steve above, using the test socket hasn't improved things a great deal. When you do reconnect the face plate make sure only pins 2 and 5 are connected to the face plate and in any extension sockets. But I would only ask to be capped by Sky as a last resort there caps can be very servere and they are usually very reluctant to remove them once in place. Uping the noise margin yourself would be the best way to go. I not sure if you need to reset the router with the button in the pin hole to clear noise margin changes or if power cycling will do it, you will have to try that one. The router is designed to be left on continously though and thing with keep turning it off is that as you are having some problems with the line if you get to the point where the router has negotiated a stable connection with the exchange, then when you turn off everything is reset, so the router has to negotiate with the exchange again and find its feet "so to speak"

Lister is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have put SNR at 14 which still gives me 8 MB and a bit more stability so a very happy bunny. Thanks Guys

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 7185 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 16.2 10.5
      Attn(dB): 38.0 22.0
      Pwr(dBm): 1.3 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 7324 864
      Rate (Kbps): 7185 764
      G.dmt framing
      K: 28(0) 24
      R: 10 16
      S: 8 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 59 68
      B: 27 23
      M: 8 8
      T: 8 1
      R: 10 16
      S: 0.9931 7.7037
      L: 1885 216
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 459815 459813
      SFErr: 13 1
      RS: 29888036 3908410
      RSCorr: 2116386 0
      RSUnCorr: 166 0

HEC: 9 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 125757649 13352891
      Data Cells: 1397998 623620
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 30 1
      SES: 14 0
      UAS: 29 14
      Total time = 2 hours 9 min 13 sec
      SF = 477797
      CRC = 28
      LOS = 23
      LOF = 0
      ES = 30
      Latest 1 day time = 2 hours 9 min 13 sec
      SF = 477797
      CRC = 28
      LOS = 23
      LOF = 0
      ES = 30
      Latest 15 minutes time = 9 min 13 sec
      SF = 34322
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 2
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55758
      CRC = 4
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55758
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 4
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55757
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 2
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55758
      CRC = 1
      LOS = 2
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

And your errors have all but gone, so its looking good.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Glad your connection now appears OK, and your stats looking much better. Just remember to re-set the target noise margin if ever your router re-boots. If you want confirmation that your noise margin is now sufficient to cope with the day-to-day variations in noise, run the RouterStats utility (it's free). It will continously graph/log your noise margin so that you can check it stays above 7 dB. (Performance should be OK down to about 6.5 dB, but having seen the variations ocurring on my own line, I recommend keeping something in hand).
      Useful Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12