Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

High ping in evenings

This is a discussion on High ping in evenings within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey Ian thanks for the info. I've been told that Sky use the same 'lines' for their broadband as they ...

aCe
      aCe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: High ping in evenings

Hey Ian thanks for the info.

I've been told that Sky use the same 'lines' for their broadband as they do for their TV, which is why when people come home from work and watch TV, there is high latency.

Is there any element of truth in this?

And if I phone BT will I get any help or will they be inconsiderate because I didn't stay with them, and just tell me that its Sky's problem?

2. Advertisement
      IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nah, sky dont use telephone lines for tv ( yet ) its all about the satelite dish outside your house. The only way your sky box does anything over the internet is download updates to the sky box ( i believe this can be done through the satelite dish also ) and to order movies, which is why sky say leave it connected for 1 year. Untill Video On Demand comes to the uk in HD quality then your phoneline wont be used for anything except voice comms and adsl.

The main reason latency's rise in the evenings is the more interference there is via street lights and general rf interference. you have to remeber that almost everyones phoneline runs somewhere near street lights or even past some major electronic sources which causes more noise on peoples lines.

Your other point about phoning bt would probably just get sent back to sky as your contract is with them, I am not saying sky wont try to help as much as they can but they cannot physically change anything on the connect package, whereas bt can. The main thing about being on the bt network is that all connect users are on a contended exchange which does not help with ping times.

Try e-mailing sky ( less stressfull and costs nothing , but may take a while to get a responce ) they may be able to help.

Also out of curiosity how are you line stats ?

Click the link to get detailed router stats. >

Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4

If your noise margin in the day is around 8db this could drop to below 6db in the evenings and could be a factor in your ping problems.

Ian
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

maxping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The main reason latency's rise in the evenings is the more interference there is via street lights and general rf interference. you have to remeber that almost everyones phoneline runs somewhere near street lights or even past some major electronic sources which causes more noise on peoples lines.
      I doubt they would be on at the time he run the test .

Even a tracert to bbc.co.uk is returning results of 350 - 490 ms at the moment.
      This was 8:08 p.m
      Last edited by maxping; 14-06-07 at 12:48 AM.

aCe
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok at 2:33 in the morning im getting a decent ping.

Im getting 12db down and 24db up for the noise margin. What does that mean?

Ill try it tomorrow when it starts going stupid and see what it is then. I dont understand though, if i change something will it make the lag go away?

aCe
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is unusual, the time is 4:27 and im getting a 22ms ping while tracing bbc.co.uk... yet still no reply from sky.

Fingers crossed.

sparkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01834
      Broadband ISP: BT ADSL2+
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Hi all again this is the third night in a row now for the high ping never had it before been with sky I think 6 months done a speed test this afternoon got 6.5mb dl speed just done one 30 min ago only getting 1.5mb have never gone over my 40gb limit for the month all i can think they have started capping connect on the bt lines
      Last edited by sparkey; 14-06-07 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spelling mistake lol

aCe
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Very strange. I had no problems last night whatsoever.

Hopefully if i get an email back soon it will help you out sparkey. Ill post it up when i get it.

andycswt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdare
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Same here, last week or so high pings and disconnects. The email server is crashing so my guess is they are having an overall problem. As a matter of interest, why is it that the moment you switch from BT your ping goes higher? If i am on the connect package, am i not being supplied by BT? I'm sure they give preference to BT customers or am i being paranoid?

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I was with BT the last 2 years beofre moving to LLU sky and it's a fact that ingame pings shot through the roof from 4pm (kids getting home from school, then people getting home from work etc.) and it just seems to be that as more and more people log onto BT there just isn't enough bandwidth to go around.

BT have apparently started using "traffic shaping" to manage internet traffic and NewsReader has started a thread with a test to see if that is the case which may be worth a go to see if that's one of the problems.

As for BT not managing non BT customers worse than they do BT customers I cannot comment, but frankly I think they are a classic example of "big company" mentality, if you have ever phoned them up you can see that the company hasn't got a clue at times.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

And I've found the post I mentioned above.

A little experiment

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast