Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky; CGS, Counterstrike source and high gaming pings

This is a discussion on Sky; CGS, Counterstrike source and high gaming pings within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey guys ive have moved back into my home from uni (hence the low post count) Im an avid counterstrike ...

ningall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Corsham
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky; CGS, Counterstrike source and high gaming pings

Hey guys ive have moved back into my home from uni (hence the low post count)

Im an avid counterstrike source player and sky have signed a deal with valve to be the only uk tv station to air the Championship gaming series where players will recieve slaries to play once they have won the tournament.

Now as sky is such an anti gaming isp this move from a tv point of view is very annoying

Now that they are going to show the biggest even in the UK gaming scene ever on sky sports extra i feel a more gamer friendly approach to thier isp is needed

50 ping to Uk servers via css is really not very good especially at a competitive level

Now i mean allowing customers to test faspath over interleaving if they are like mysleves have low downloads and mainly use the internet for gaming as i understand the need for stability but at easter my line was dropping every 20 minutes in the evening while on ventrilo and css (this is not the point and MAY be fixed now will have to test it oout over the next couple of days)

I think it is now a time to review policy on this as there will be people on sky bb who are competing in this competition and i dont think it would be good for if peopel on this tv show are saying "online was rubbish i was on sky broadband 50 ping all the time sucks on uk servers"

Just my opinion on this and my open a new light to non-css players who are fed up with high pings

Nathan

2. Advertisement
      Kitch9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky; CGS, Counterstrike source and high gaming pings

Counter Strike Source uses a lag compensation algorithm to compensate for lag.

Very fast pings will have a forced delay imposed on them, so all the players are on a level playing field.... This is the case will most on-line PC games...

If your ping is 50, with no choke, packetloss and deviation from that 50 then all is well....

Fastpath whilst quicker can cause more packetloss, which does more damage than a 20ms higher ping.... There's nothing worse than firing your gun at a perfectly aimed headshot only for your shot never to arrive at the server.... It may arrive 20ms later but the server will take this into account and award you with the kill....

ningall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Corsham
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

apart from the fact that css netcode isnt amazing and when u play peopel with 80+ ping u cant hit them

I just want the option to try fast path and see if my ping drops and the if theconnection is stil stable

Kitch9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ningall View Post
      apart from the fact that css netcode isnt amazing and when u play peopel with 80+ ping u cant hit them

I just want the option to try fast path and see if my ping drops and the if theconnection is stil stable

Do you have 80+ ping? Its up to the server provider to remove high pings from the the game......

I don't see pings of around 80 as an issue though....

*Edit* Just joined a game and got a ping of 33......Not bad Max is my package too....
      Last edited by Kitch9; 30-05-07 at 08:48 AM.

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Sky; CGS, Counterstrike source and high gaming pings

Just to let people know that sometimes sky is more of a bargain than just the fast downloads, Here is a screenshot of me playing CS:S with a 16ms ping to an irish server it went down to 11ms at one point but mainly stayed around the 16ms mark... I mainly ping around 20ms - 40ms to most europe servers but i ping great to the ones in the uk with most around 20ms. I must be lucky. my attenuation is 31 and noise margin is 10db, I am on max and a full 15323 sync.

No packet loss, I guess my derby exchange does not have a gazillion users on sky.

I had to shirink it down to lower than 19.5k to allow the upload but just click the little brown thing.

Sky; CGS, Counterstrike source and high gaming pings-16ms.jpg

Good or Bad for gaming?

I'll let you decide.
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/