Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Pings speeds different depening on buffer size.

This is a discussion on Pings speeds different depening on buffer size. within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have a horrible feeling that the change made on my line was to change the buffer size to show ...

SmokeKingGun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Pings speeds different depening on buffer size.

I have a horrible feeling that the change made on my line was to change the buffer size to show a better looking ping.

If anyone else has had their lines changed please can you check this.

If I try ping -t Jolt.co.uk - Online Gaming - Clan Server Rental I get average around 30ms, great you may think. If I try specifying buffer size with ping -t Jolt.co.uk - Online Gaming - Clan Server Rental -l 1492 I get the usual 56ms.

Now Ive been playing around with different buffer sizes after -l and it seems I am now changed to around 50... by default.

I have to type ping -t Jolt.co.uk - Online Gaming - Clan Server Rental -l 50 to receive the 30 ping I receive without specifying buffer size.

As far as I was aware it should be around 28 less than the MTU which is 1500for me.

2. Advertisement
      The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Pings speeds different depening on buffer size.

The change made on your line wasnt the buffer size, the change made was most likely the max delay on the interleaving. most likely from 32ms to 16ms or even 8ms.
      Your ping is 36ms which is fine even at 50-60ms this is normal for interleaving. There is no reason for trying to ping at 1492. Have you actually tried this gaming yet?

Also can you post detailed stats from the router which has been up and running for over 24 hours using the tools found in this forum.
      Last edited by The Doctor; 24-05-07 at 05:05 AM.

SmokeKingGun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It feels just as bad gaming as it did before. Im getting better pings but It seems small packets have been improved with larger ones still pinging higher than they should. If i traceroute still bad responses from easynet gateway, sometimes 40ms which is still poor for a 2nd hop and bad times 70/80ms, went as high as 120ms. It never seems to be stable.

Can you let me know what the packet size should be for ADSL?

I thought default MTU was 1500 and you just take 28 off that number so 1492 would be possibly the wrong number (1472)

Can you also explain if 1472 is the norm used why my pings almost double when specifying this? and the only way to get the ping the same is to try 50, which is very very low (think ping command itself uses 48) That would be like sucking thich milkshake through a tiny straw.

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

while it is possible that your experiencing a routing issue it is very unlikely, and will most probably be a localised issue perhaps as you said to your exchange. Did you manage to find the detailed stats ? if your struggling to find how to get them post back here or do a search for it.

As per the mtu size, havbe you ran the tcp optimiser program at all? if not give it a bash forgive me if u have allready stated this.

Can you try pinging at 1450 for me, and if still havin issues set your mtu at either 1458 or 1400 and retest. just some suggestions.

I still beleave your getting choke on your line and that perhaps the line will need more config work by t3 at sky.