Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gamers - remember 8 days cooling off

This is a discussion on Gamers - remember 8 days cooling off within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi just thought i would remind you all that you have 8 days in which to contact Sky and tell ...

backtopreviousisp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Gamers - remember 8 days cooling off

Hi just thought i would remind you all that you have 8 days in which to contact Sky and tell them you wish to cancel if your not happy with your broadband service.

I wish i had found these forums about increased pings before i decided to leave my previous ISP for a cheaper price.

I cant fault Sky at all in anyway for doing what they said they would. I received my router within 5 days of ordering and the line was activated on the day they said it would.

Unfortunately like many of you have experienced straight away i noticed increased pings compared with previously.

I mainly play a game called Planetside a mass online fps. I now get a ping of 77 compared with previously 30. The first night i played i lost connection 3 times due to high packet loss. Last night i had no packet loss but still had the same ping.

I know some of you have questioned how the human eye can tell a difference. Basically its not about that its simply that the action on screen such as bullets been fired, fire more as soon as you press fire. The more competive you are as player the more ping counts. Packet loss is a worse problem as this would mean not all your bullets are registering. In my experience however the higher the ping the more packet loss you will experience.

Ideally you want low ping with no packet loss. High ping with packet loss is your worst case scenario.

Ive not had long to test but by cancelling within the 8 days cooling off I will receive a mac code valid for 30 days.

This will give you all much longer to test to see if your happy rather than tying yourself into a 12 month contract if your not happy. You may then decide to stay with Sky if your happy with your downloading speeds , your higher ping if with no packet loss.

good luck
      Last edited by backtopreviousisp; 03-05-07 at 03:19 PM.

2. Advertisement
      kwalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horley, Surrey
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Gamers - remember 8 days cooling off

Thanks for the reminder. I've just done exactly that.

Sorry SKY, I've just spent the last week or so trying to get a decent connection. Seeing all the posts on this forum, including the honest replies from SKY engineers has persuaded me to give up.

Luckily I have a second line and I haven't canceled my Clara account yet.
      It might not be as fast, and not as cheap, but I can get a good game of BF2 using it

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It is really a shame to see 2 peeps leave a decent service, purely because their pings are not what they need to play online. This in my opinion is one side that definitely needs looking at by Sky. Or even maybe a disclaimer in the signup process so people can make an informed decision.

If Sky could sort this, they really would leave the others standing. Just think logically how much it costs to sign someone up, and I bet you that Sky will have lost at least 100.00 on each of you, as well as any further monthly income.

Good luck chaps and hopefully all will end well for you.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

elric is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Molesey
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

^^ What you said exactly NewsreadeR, I came to Sky for their cheap price and ease of having my TV phone and BB all in one place, If I could play a reasonable game I would be happy and because I can't get to play I am moving my broadband away even if I have to pay my full contract just to get out. I am moving to a more expensive account with monthly caps BUT this is what I use the internet for, I am not moving to the fastest ISP just an ISP that does give some priority to games, they also have an official forum and workers may post without fear of losing their jobs, it's up front honesty is pulling me in.

I am confident SKY will come around but I can't wait that long. I would have to agree also with backtopreviousisp's advice and gamers should get themselves that 30 day extended trial period.
      MAX package.

SmokeKingGun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

if you play online games steer clear is all in can say. I play alot or did play alot of enemy territory which is now almost impossible to play competively.

I actually miss my old F2S 512K ADSL which had great latency (1st hop always within 20ms, UK servers ping 30s 40s) compared to now (1st hop in 70s!!!) I would happily sacrifice bandwidth now for latency which is what I am going to do. Ive put up with this SKY ADSL for 7 months mainly due to a new addiction to online poker lol. Now with the new ET around the corner and a few good other FPS Ive got my eye on its got to go!

I am swallowing my pride and going back cap in hand to F2S
      and will try to get out of remaining months of SKY contract . I will happily pay double for a stable 2MB unlimited service which is what im doing.

Being the cheapest is great for the casual surfer but SKY i feel are going to miss on a big big market with gamers jumping ship and happily switching to a slower bandwidth option with stable pings and good latency and paying more for it...

Another thing is that SKY support really is bad (putting it politely) You will find it almost impossible to actually speak to someone who knows what they are talking about or actually has any power to change anything. They will read from the usual "hymn sheet" reboot router, plug into master socket blah blah and then will create a ticket and refer it to tier 3, who will call you back, apparently. I still have not received a call from tier 3 after logging the problem numerous times and there is noway of calling direct to them.

m.barnes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i am in the process of leaving sky for the same reason.

sadly sky never sent me a letter saying my service had gone live.

all i received was the letter saying "you will get a letter to confirm your service is activated but please allow 28days as they are busy"

sadly no letter had arrived, and by the time i had got through to CS i was over my 8 day cooling off period. my parents live in the same area, have 2mb virgin media bb on wireless, so i installed steam on there and could play at 30ms. over at my house on sky its 70+

so when i actually get my contract cancelled it will be bye bye sky

m.barnes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

smoking gun, emailing them is even worse lol

i emailed my issues (as the first step of cancelling contract) and i got a bullet pointed "please try the master socket" , "please remove extension leads" blah blah blah.

i replied to the email saying my trace routes had massive hops etc etc and that the problem was not my end, i got the identical reply back! not even a hello or goodbye, just the same copied response!

not happy

SmokeKingGun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just called this morning and again explained the problem, it seems now that they are saying there is a fault at my exchange, which im doubtful of. Im pretty sure its just a case of an oversold network. They gave me a code and gave me BT's 0800800151 and advised to call them to check on fault and repair (SKY had said fault was logged with BT but couldnt give leadtime on repair at exchange)

This again was a total fob off. Called BT and they quite correctly said that they cannot deal with these enquiries directly and that the ISP shouldnt have given their number and should be dealing with the situation direct.

Called SKY yet again and it really does seem you get a different response everytime you call! This time they said they had run a regrade on my line on the 15th which should have helped and didnt give me any details on the so called exchange problem. They again tried to fob me off with a call back from tier 3 which would take 3-5 days. I refused this and was put on hold for tier 3 support (was told queue of 12 mins) - first few times by the way I called I was told that it wasnt possible to trasfer calls direct to tier 3. After being on hold for over 12 mins the person I talked to first said that it would be even longer. I gave up and said to transfer to cancellations department.

The stage Im at now is I have requested MAC code (will be 5 working days - arrives by post) and have an address to write to cancel, although Im sure someone said that it can be done by phone.

sky subscriber services limited
      Customer care department
      po box 99
      west lothian
      EH54 7PR

Will be interesting to see if the so called problem exchange is repaired before I get the MAC code.

LPB
      LPB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Westside (Crips side)
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just like all of you, I am in the same boat. My pings have shot up and Sky really is not suitable for gaming. Back to Be* who I was happy with.

Sky can do the TV thing, but still have a lot of catching up to do on the BB front.

I requested Tier 3 but had no such luck getting through. Sent an email but have no received a reply. Am also experiencing packet loss and cannot tracert with any real results.

Maybe if in future they improve I may reconsider, but as for now it's a no go.

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky have a " I couldn't care less " attitude to threats of cancelation.

Surfers and downloaders far out weigh the gamers and this is all they are bothered about.

Business is about facts and figures, not service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast