Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Router/Xbox Live

This is a discussion on Sky Router/Xbox Live within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Sorry if this has been posted before. I have just set up an original xbox on xbox live with sky ...

goldengaze is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Router/Xbox Live

Sorry if this has been posted before.

I have just set up an original xbox on xbox live with sky broadband. I am using a sky's netgear DG834GT router with i dirtect link from the router to the xbox via ethernet cable. The Xbox connects and signs into Live fine but disconnects before any gameplay. Is this a problem with the router? is there an easy soloution to this problem?

2. Advertisement
      Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Router/Xbox Live

Does the PC disconnect when the XBox does? Do you have different ethernet leads to try? Perhaps try a different ethernet port on the router?

Try a connection test on the Xbox. Not sure where it is - not used XBL on an original Xbox in ages.

If you have UPnP turned off on the router, then you need to forward the relevant Xbox Live ports to the IP address of the Xbox.

[and sometimes you need to even if UPnP is on... it can go a bit funny sometimes. Although, it's recommended to turn UPnP off anyway, due to a bug.]

You need to forward the following ports:

UDP 88
      UDP 3074
      TCP 3074

Xbox 360: Port settings for Xbox Live

Create a Service for each via the router's web interface (Security > Services > Add Custom Service).

Then, create Firewall Rules for each (Security > Firewall Rules > Add INBOUND Services), with "ALLOW Always", LAN Server IP Address = Xbox's IP, WAN Users = Any, & Log = Never.

The Xbox needs to always have the same IP.

You can add it's MAC address to the router's Address Reservation list (Advanced > LAN IP Setup) & give it a set IP there.

Or, simply give it a manually assigned static IP, & manual DNS, & gateway (in the Xbox's network settings).

IP = 192.168.0.x - where "x" is a number outside of the range of IPs the router assigns via DHCP [the range can be found, & changed, on the router's interface - under Advanced > LAN IP Setup > Use As DHCP Server > Starting IP Address / Ending IP Address].

Gateway = 192.168.0.1 [the router's IP]

Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

DNS = 192.168.0.1 [the router's IP]

-------------------

Oh, also...........

Is the Xbox modded? If so, then you're out of luck AFAIK.
      Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 11-04-07 at 03:27 AM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks For the Reply

Yeah i think the pc does disconnect when the xbox does and i only have the one ethernet cable.

When i run the connection test on the xbox it runs fine and tells me i am connected to xbox live.

I have turned off the UPnP on the router and forwarded the ports.

I have gone through eveything advised with no problems but still no connection before gameplay. I have tried speaking to sky but had no luck with them telling me they do not support xbox live and could not help me. Also the xbox is not modded.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is there a way i can connect the xbox without using the sky router??

Thanks

Maybe see if you can get another ethernet cable to try, just in case.

So the PC does disconnect too? Wireless or ethernet?

That would suggest it isn't the Xbox.

Is the router near enough for you to watch its lights when the Xbox disconnects? Perhaps it is rebooting...

If you don't want to connect via the router, the only other option is to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) via the PC... not as good as a router connection though, & requires the PC to be on.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Sky Router/Xbox Live

On my sky router there is the default Inbound and Outbound settings. The Inbound is set to 'block always'. Could this still be stopping my connection even tho i have forwarded ports for the xbox. How do you change these settings? If changed would this prevent the 'secure infrastructure' from working

Thanks

The custom Firewall Rules you've got for forwarding ports 88 & 3074 for XBL (& any other custom rules) are exceptions to the default "BLOCK ALL INCOMING" rule. You cannot disable the default rule. There's no need to.

Have you checked what I mentioned before...have you watched the router to see if it's rebooting when you disconnect?

You could also try putting the Xbox's IP in the DMZ (Advanced > WAN Setup > Default DMZ Server) - this would open up *everything* in front of the Xbox, instead of simply forwarding a few specific ports. Shouldn't be necessary at all, but you never know.

I Sukotto I is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

xbox live is down as they are updating the server for new things to come apparently.. so you wont be able to get online on xbox live full stop right now.

bazersworld is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0151639
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
      Does the PC disconnect when the XBox does? Do you have different ethernet leads to try? Perhaps try a different ethernet port on the router?

Try a connection test on the Xbox. Not sure where it is - not used XBL on an original Xbox in ages.

If you have UPnP turned off on the router, then you need to forward the relevant Xbox Live ports to the IP address of the Xbox.

[and sometimes you need to even if UPnP is on... it can go a bit funny sometimes. Although, it's recommended to turn UPnP off anyway, due to a bug.]

You need to forward the following ports:

UDP 88
      UDP 3074
      TCP 3074

Xbox 360: Port settings for Xbox Live

Create a Service for each via the router's web interface (Security > Services > Add Custom Service).

Then, create Firewall Rules for each (Security > Firewall Rules > Add INBOUND Services), with "ALLOW Always", LAN Server IP Address = Xbox's IP, WAN Users = Any, & Log = Never.

The Xbox needs to always have the same IP.

You can add it's MAC address to the router's Address Reservation list (Advanced > LAN IP Setup) & give it a set IP there.

Or, simply give it a manually assigned static IP, & manual DNS, & gateway (in the Xbox's network settings).

IP = 192.168.0.x - where "x" is a number outside of the range of IPs the router assigns via DHCP [the range can be found, & changed, on the router's interface - under Advanced > LAN IP Setup > Use As DHCP Server > Starting IP Address / Ending IP Address].

Gateway = 192.168.0.1 [the router's IP]

Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

DNS = 192.168.0.1 [the router's IP]

-------------------

Oh, also...........

Is the Xbox modded? If so, then you're out of luck AFAIK.
      To whomever,
      This advice seems useful and for that I thank you.

LinkBacks (?)