Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

what number do people call for fast path

This is a discussion on what number do people call for fast path within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; @indefatigable as guiness has declined to answer I will ask you a couple of questions I put to him 1 ...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: what number do people call for fast path

@indefatigable
      as guiness has declined to answer I will ask you a couple of questions I put to him
      1 Why should lines that experience no errors be moved from fast to inter ?
      2 Why should there be no way round it as fastpath on a good line is superior to inter and it is obvious from the number of people posting good stats on here that sky can support it ?
      3 Why are sky not advertising there service as inter only though I suspect the answer to this is obvious - ie reel in a new customer on the promise of 16meg etc then keep them for a year , tv as well.
      4 Why are sky not acknowledging that this policy is alienating a section of their customers - believe me if you treat them this way and they go they will not come back

2. Advertisement
      The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I did not decline to answer I am a busy man. anyway to answer your question, it is moved from fast to interleave because there told to quite simple really.

T3 dont make the policies but abide by them, Told to move it to interleave if it's on path u do it.

As from the company point of view as u said its obvious its a small section of the market and would just create more training needed for sales and customer services and technical, when the costs of that are taken into consideration its understandable.

And although u may feel it is superior. not all lines are perfect and as this would need alot of manual config work for specific customers is not done. it is not likely to change no matter how many of us wanted it to.

So as has been said unless it was for testing or done by someone unofficial a while back you wont get fast path.

If theres anything I missed or your not happy with then post back I aint your enemy

Thanks

I hope my post did not insinuate that you are my enemy as it was not my intention to do that.

The point I was trying to make is why degrade somebodys service when it is not necessary - if you check my earlier post i concede that in some cases it is necessary.

As to it being a small sector of the market, I didnt say that but as it seems to be an issue on here on a daily basis I woud have to disagree with you on that.

Why do sky not state that their service is inter only ( other isp's give you the option and state the possible drawbacks - check newnet faq ) ?

If T3 are told to do something then I accept that they would do as they are told, that is why I applauded you earlier for posting on here.

I'm a friend so if you want a brew or some pens I'm your man - lol

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Brew sounds good lol. I know where were at bud im a gamer myself and if I was on sky I would want it on fast. some of us have asked to allow fast but it a dead end.

Perhaps with time it shall change we can only hope.

Oneiros is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESFAL
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky are aiming for the non-techie market with Broadband, hence sending out locked routers and limiting what they support, they have no interest in supplying the gamer market as it is tech support intensive and as such they would have to charge more for it, they want to sell a cheap and simple service. I would have to advise gamers not to use the product.

Thanks

Lets hope that sky will start listening to their customers ( maybe setting up a team ? - it would only take one person to monitor this site ) would reap better benefits than having a team trawling the records and moving people off fast unneceseraly.
      If your ever near preston your welcome for a brew and a free pen - cant guarantee the colour tho - lol

dq1
      dq1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littleborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
      Sky are aiming for the non-techie market with Broadband, hence sending out locked routers and limiting what they support, they have no interest in supplying the gamer market as it is tech support intensive and as such they would have to charge more for it, they want to sell a cheap and simple service. I would have to advise gamers not to use the product.
      What tech support do gamers need besides low pings (which I wouldn't count as support)?

Surely you mean that gamers and techies will realise when the service is sub par and complain. They can supply the support themselves.
      Last edited by dq1; 19-04-07 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks

Have to agree with you there mate, my last and this isp previously supported fastpath and I never contacted them once. Now theyve took me off it I've never been off the email to them - seems like a bit of a contradiction ?

Oneiros is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESFAL
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I refer to the fact that gamers are, statistically speaking, likely to make more calls in to technical support whenever there is anything they are not entirely happy with. More calls leads to more costs.

Also they are less likely to be happy with having to go through a Tier 1 agent before speaking to someone who can manually configure their line.

And I never said it was right, in case you were implying as much. I am simply telling you why Sky do not sell their product as a gaming service (provided the sales person knows what they are talking about).

dq1
      dq1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littleborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
      I refer to the fact that gamers are, statistically speaking, likely to make more calls in to technical support whenever there is anything they are not entirely happy with. More calls leads to more costs.

Also they are less likely to be happy with having to go through a Tier 1 agent before speaking to someone who can manually configure their line.

And I never said it was right, in case you were implying as much. I am simply telling you why Sky do not sell their product as a gaming service (provided the sales person knows what they are talking about).
      I don't mean to be confrontational, I just think some of your wording had too much positive spin, I appologise if this was not your intention.

Just one more thing, which ISPs do sell their product as a gaming service? I've never seen "good for gaming" or "good pings" on any ISP marketing, even on ones where it is truely excellent. The average user thinks that internet gaming comes with the internet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast