Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Multiplayer pings

This is a discussion on Multiplayer pings within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Everyone , just wanted to say I still have a cable connection as well as a sky mid pack, ...

moocher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: err wha?
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Multiplayer pings

Hi Everyone ,

just wanted to say I still have a cable connection as well as a sky mid pack, and have been testing pings on speed test sites and on my fav online game sof2 (been playin it for years and know what a decent ping is).
      On average I would say im getting around 50ms more lag on sky bb than on virgin. (which is pretty crap sayin as I've just switched from latter to former lol). Oh well it is cheaper tho i spose ..
      Thats in euro servers tho havent tried any others yet. Im 900 metres from an exchange so that isnt a problem. ( line noise is reasonable ish but far from good )
      Also my Belkin f5d7001 wireless card (which I have to say is pretty f'kin dismal) doesn't like the netgear router at all!! I only get 500 - 600 kbs ffs? (I am reasonably good with wireless setups and it's the best I can muster!)Shove a wire in an I get 5.6 mbs? So what we sayin here? ( I have always hated wireless but jeez )

BTW pings above ARE with a wire in .. (on the sky BB .. wireless for cable !!) so thats even worse to me.

Also with a game like SOF2 you can visibly see the results of a poor ping, whereas newer games mask it.

Wireless is poo really is it worth the hassle?

( btw first post so Big Hello to you all )

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Multiplayer pings

Welcome aboard.

As for the pings, loads of people are reporting this and I am sure Sky will take note of it, as tbh it's upsetting too many people.

My game play has not suffered, with a ping of 46, but maybe I am just no good at playing games

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Welcome aboard.

As for the pings, loads of people are reporting this and I am sure Sky will take note of it, as tbh it's upsetting too many people.

My game play has not suffered, with a ping of 46, but maybe I am just no good at playing games
      @NR your better than me but I hope you are right about it upsetting people , i'm practising and seem to be noticing the dif now they have moved me off fast
      dave

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Guys,

Thanks. Like to say nice site tho .. already found it very useful and only had my sky bb active for about 5 hours... I have always had bb thru cable b4 tho so i mite be a bit biased towards fibreoptics
      Tbh tho 46 ping is pretty reasonable for most games ... I'd say that I start to get annoyed with a ping over 75 ish for shoot em ups. Over 100 sucks and over 150 isn't worth bothering with. Im averaging 110-120 on my fav server which I normally ping at around 40-50 so I cant say that I'm too impressed really

maybe its just a bad night for pings? I dunno will wait to see ..

mrtom2985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: York
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moocher View Post
      Also my Belkin f5d7001 wireless card (which I have to say is pretty f'kin dismal) doesn't like the netgear router at all!! I only get 500 - 600 kbs ffs? (I am reasonably good with wireless setups and it's the best I can muster!)Shove a wire in an I get 5.6 mbs? So what we sayin here? ( I have always hated wireless but jeez )
      Wireless is poo really is it worth the hassle?
      What kind of signal strength are you getting? I've had an amazing improvement in signal strength, and thus download speed, from ordering an aerial-on-a-lead for my PCI wireless card from Ebuyer. I think the Sky router probably does have a fairly poor signal, but this seemed to help me anyway.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi,
      its not a signal strength issue as the the router is like less than 5m away from the pc in a direct line and both card and router are set to g ? (tried b and both but same results) I have two pcs with the same belkin cards in and it sucks with both
      It sucked with an edimax router as well as a matching Belkin router too.
      All I can say is Belkin are no help whatsoever and I personally think they dont give a dam (judging from their customer support)
      oh well short term for u guys belkin ..
      you'll all get your ****slips soon enuf.. wired is so much easier ..
      spend 1 hr wiring up = life of ease afterwards lol
      dont and spend many days arsin around and lots of stress lol
      wireless mite be fashionable but its far from stressless even if you use 1 manufacturers products (in my case Belkin) .. (and yes I have checked for interfering devices)
      Only my experience tho ..