Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Freesat in my Caravan

This is a discussion on Freesat in my Caravan within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I am using my old Sky box in my Caravan, and have been doing for many years. I have found ...

furry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Freesat in my Caravan

I am using my old Sky box in my Caravan, and have been doing for many years. I have found a problem in the last few days which is stopping all viewing and getting me in the bad books of the Misuse.
      I had no problem when transferring my Sky card from home but now I "went legal" and bought a Freesat card!

First thing was being asked to insert my old card - a problem as I have not got it with me and so I am using Free to Air channels

This worked OK but now I an finding that I am starting to lose signal from the satellite at times.

I have now found I cannot connect to the satellite but am getting on to the network ID 013a which I understand in Astra South satellite

I am continually tuning the dish with the correct data, I can hear a signal on my signal detector but cannot get any result om the Signal Strength meter nor the signal quality meter (services/4/6) I am using a Maxview "crank up" dish on the caravan and this is about 7 years old

is the box getting towards he end of its days? I don't think it is the Dish as I still getting a signal on the signal detector.

I cannot remember having such a problem in the past.

Can someone help a poor old Furry?
      Last edited by furry; 23-03-14 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added information

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Freesat in my Caravan

Hi furry and welcome to the forum.
      I was wondering if the lead between your dish and set top box (STB) had been damaged.
      I presume you are not using this lead with the signal strength meter (SSM) so try connecting the SSM in place of the STB and see what the signal strength is like.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, Are you sure about the network ID? Just looked at mine at home and it says Network ID 0002 and Transport Stream 07d4.
      If know that some Sky signals were switched to new replacement satellites at the beginning of February, don't know if that would have anything to do with it.
      When I set my Mums up at her caravan I found there is another satellite very near the Sky ones within mm's turn on the dish which produces high signal on a meter but no channels!

dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Hi, Are you sure about the network ID? Just looked at mine at home and it says Network ID 0002 and Transport Stream 07d4.
      If know that some Sky signals were switched to new replacement satellites at the beginning of February, don't know if that would have anything to do with it.
      When I set my Mums up at her caravan I found there is another satellite very near the Sky ones within mm's turn on the dish which produces high signal on a meter but no channels!
      It is a while since I used a Sky box in the caravan but as you say it isd easy to piont and get signal from the wrong satellite, I recall when on correct satellite the word Locked came up on the display.

The OP mentioned the system called Freesat that is a different system and is not card based, I believe that Sky's free is called "Freesat from Sky"
      As the OP has a Sky card I do not see the need of another card, the free stations work without a card in, I believe a card just gets the correct local region.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dnpark38 View Post
      It is a while since I used a Sky box in the caravan but as you say it isd easy to piont and get signal from the wrong satellite, I recall when on correct satellite the word Locked came up on the display.

The OP mentioned the system called Freesat that is a different system and is not card based, I believe that Sky's free is called "Freesat from Sky"
      As the OP has a Sky card I do not see the need of another card, the free stations work without a card in, I believe a card just gets the correct local region.
      We'll he mentions getting a new card, he doesn't say anything about changing the box, so I assume he is still using the Sky box, in which case the network ID and stream should be the same as mine, so I suspect he is on the wrong satellite.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

The OP also doesn't tell us the size of the dish or where he's located when the problem occurred. As SES-Astra has recently swapped a lot of channels (to a new satellite at the same position) that might be part of the problem. In any case, the Sky box is 'old' and these things don't last forever. The point about the coax from the dish to the Sky box is also worth investigating. I don't think a new Sky card will make any difference after all most of the channels viewed by the OP are FTA and don't need a Sky Viewing Card.

The problem is to know where to start! First of all make very sure you are on the correct satellite position (Astra 28E). It's very easy to mistake Astra 19E as it's very strong and quite close by - if you are on 19E by mistake you will need to move the dish very carefully slightly further E and slightly down in elevation. If you are sure of the position (and do use a decent Meter with a scale) then check the down coax - I'd chop an inch or two off either end and make new 'f' connector contacts using the old 'f' connectors. If that doesn't work then try swapping the Sky box with one that works elsewhere. I'd run all the tests without any Sky card in place and if you solve your problem then insert the Sky card. Finally I'd change the LNB to see if that's faulty - if you have a twin or quad output LNB simply try another connection.