Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Channel 101 defaulting to BBC1 London

This is a discussion on Channel 101 defaulting to BBC1 London within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi. My elderly dad has a problem with channel 101. When originally set up, channel 101 was set to BBC1 ...

confusedmrs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01282
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Channel 101 defaulting to BBC1 London

Hi. My elderly dad has a problem with channel 101. When originally set up, channel 101 was set to BBC1 Yorkshire. For the past week channel 101 has been defaulting to BBC1 London and the only way he can get Yorkshire is to enter channel 956. Rang SKY but was told that as he doesn't have an account (he just has the free to air channels) they can't help. His "receiving" box is a Panasonic and not one of the SKY brand boxes. Can anyone help (in simple language!) ? He has a SKY viewing card if this helps?
      Last edited by confusedmrs; 27-12-13 at 12:59 PM.

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Channel 101 defaulting to BBC1 London

As your Dad has a Freesat set up you might be better using a forum dedicated to Freesat Freesat - Digital Spy Forums

However the channels numbers have been messed about recently with the BBC starting new HD channels (BBC2, CBeebies, CBBC, BBC3 and BBC4) and some have taken over the old SD channel numbers on some boxes (ie BBC2 HD is channel 102 but BBC1 remains at 141 on Sky HD boxes). That may be a possible cause and a retune of the Panasonic box might solve the problem.

Originally did you enter a Postcode in the set up to define the BBC/ITV Region? Maybe that's become corrupted and is therefore defaulting to BBC1 London.

I suspect simply keying in 956 might be the easy/simple answer.

Thanks

I don't remember entering any postcode (can't think where to do that) but I think we had to phone SKY on receipt of the viewing card. I might phone SKY again, when I'm next at his house, and hopefully get another advisor. My own SKY channels have been unaffected by any changes. Thanks for your help anyway.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks

Slightly confused as to whether the box in question is a Sky box or a Freesat box but as it uses a Sky viewing card I would assume that it must be a Sky box.

A Sky box will default to London if the viewing card is removed or if the box is unable to read the card correctly.
      I suggest that you remove the card and polish the contacts with a clean dry cloth.
      Make a note of the viewing card number then re-insert it fully into the correct slot.
      Within the settings menu you should find an entry for "System Details".
      Select this entry and ensure that the viewing card number displayed is the same as that previously noted.
      If correct re-check channels 101 and 103 for correct local programmes.

Thanks

Agree about the confusion! As the OP states it's NOT a Sky branded box then I assumed it was a PANASONIC brand box which means it won't work with a Sky Viewing Card as these only work in Sky branded boxes. I then concluded we were talking about a PANASONIC Freesat box. But maybe we weren't! Perhaps the OP can clarify?

If the OP has a Sky box and a valid Sky account (even if it's Freesat from Sky) then she won't have noticed any changes as Sky have adapted the EPG depending upon the type of box in use - if it's an HD box the changes will have been made automatically whilst SD boxes aren't handled in the same way as they don't receive HD. Incidentally what colour is the Sky card used with the Panasonic box?

If the box in question is a Sky Panasonic manufactured box it is now very very old and may have developed a fault. Cleaning the Viewing Card (and simply taking the card out of the slot and reinserting) may be helpful. In these early boxes the card depressed a small lug at the rear of the card slot to turn the card 'on' so a firm push is always recommended.
      Last edited by dms05; 28-12-13 at 11:53 AM.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There were branded box's pre Sky+ I have 2 in my loft and one set up at my Mums caravan, one is branded Panasonic one is Pace and one Amstrad they all have a Sky viewing card slot but are not Sky+.
      I used to use one as a freeview box after I cancelled the Sky subscription but after about 2 years Sky disabled the card so the box defaulted back to the London channels as the op suggested.
      You used to be able to get a dedicated freeview card to use in a Sky box for about 20 not sure where from though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      You used to be able to get a dedicated freeview card to use in a Sky box for about 20 not sure where from though.
      The Freesat from Sky Viewing Cards were purchased from Sky using their normal phone numbers and the cost had risen over the years to 30 as a one off payment. However I read sometime ago that Sky were discontinuing this service (probably to hinder BT Sports who need an active Sky Viewing Card to deliver their satellite service and this was a very cheap way to obtain a Viewing Card for non-Sky customers whilst offering no economic benefit to Sky).

Incidentally I agree with your comments on the very old Sky boxes that dated from before Sky offered PVR's. But they are now well past their best and some weren't very good even when new!

The OP might consider buying a Freesat box from Argos, as a replacement, as you do enter your postcode and that sets the region! They offer a Freesat HD box without recorder for under 50 Buy Bush Freesat HD Digital Set Top Box at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Set top boxes, recorders and satellite, Set top boxes, All Technology clearance, Limited stock Technology. You then simply swop this box for the old Panasonic and turn on!

Whatever route the OP takes I hope it sorts her Dad out!

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks

Freesat from Sky is still available. Check out: FREESAT from Sky - Call now to order
      According to the FAQs viewing cards can be purchased for 25 but as dms05 has already said a Freesat box that doesn't require a viewing card can be purchased for around 50 which, as the Panasonic box is old and probably unsupportable if defective, is most likely to be a better deal.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Freesat from Sky is still available. Check out: FREESAT from Sky - Call now to order
      According to the FAQs viewing cards can be purchased for 25 but as dms05 has already said a Freesat box that doesn't require a viewing card can be purchased for around 50 which, as the Panasonic box is old and probably unsupportable if defective, is most likely to be a better deal.
      On the systems (at Sky) the Freesat from Sky cards come up as 55 now, with a 30 discount if bought without a box!

Thanks

Thank you all for your replies - even though some sound a bit "techy" (don't know what an OP is - sounds like Old Person to me !). The original Sky dish was bought and installed by my brother-in-law a few years ago along with a second hand Panasonic box (with slot for viewing card). We purchased a viewing card from Sky for 20. I will look at the suggestions again when I next visit my dad (not in same town) and see which is the least confusing for him - he's still getting used to a widescreen tv. Might have to try messing with it all when he's out. Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast