Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Freesat card

This is a discussion on Freesat card within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; A neighbour is considering signing up to Sky Freesat. He's concerned at the cost of a replacement card - £25. ...

Keelhaul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01792
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Freesat card

A neighbour is considering signing up to Sky Freesat. He's concerned at the cost of a replacement card - £25.

According the T&C's -

How long is the Card valid for?
      (a) For security reasons Viewing Cards may be inactivated from time to time. In this situation, if you wish to continue to receive all the encrypted Free to View channels, you will have to purchase a new viewing card at our then applicable standard charge.
      How frequently do Sky replace cards? He's not prepared to cough up £25 a year or face the possibility of a card costing £50 in a couple of years.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Freesat card

The last card replacement was about three and a half years ago when blue viewing cards (VCs) were replaced with white ones. Nothing has been said about when the next replacement will occur though there is talk that there will be changes in the near future that will prevent old Thompson Sky boxes from working. Whether this will coincide with a VC change is not known. For Sky the replacement of all VCs is an expensive undertaking and is only done when there is intelligence suggesting that their security may have been (or is about to be) compromised rather than as a routine event. The last price rise for a Freesat from Sky VC was from twenty to twenty five pounds.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Keelhaul (15-06-13)

Keelhaul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01792
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks.

That could mean my neighbour having to pay £25 next year to replace his car. I don't understand why encrypted cards are necessary for Sky Freesat.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Free to air channels are not encrypted. Free to view channels are encrypted as the rights to broadcast certain programmes on these channels restricts reception to an audience within a specific geographical area. The encryption prevents people outside this area from viewing them. An example is RTÉ which is not a subscription channel but can only be viewed using a viewing card registered to an address in Ireland.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keelhaul View Post
      Thanks.

That could mean my neighbour having to pay £25 next year to replace his car. I don't understand why encrypted cards are necessary for Sky Freesat.
      They will typically (or they did at the last changeover) replace cards bought in the last 3 years for free. Everyone else had to buy one.

If they do the same next time [don't NDS recommend a 3 to 5 (maximum) year window on each card changeover?] Then your neighbour should still be okay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky