Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Keep Sky HD, but add additional feed from dish to Freesat HD TV - Will it work?

This is a discussion on Keep Sky HD, but add additional feed from dish to Freesat HD TV - Will it work? within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; If i have Sky HD in 2 rooms on a quad LNB already (2 Sky HD boxes fed from Dish ...

mnavarra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hengoed
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Keep Sky HD, but add additional feed from dish to Freesat HD TV - Will it work?

If i have Sky HD in 2 rooms on a quad LNB already (2 Sky HD boxes fed from Dish with paid Sky subscription)...

...would i be able to add a bigger LNB, then add another feed from the dish, and connect this to a new Samsung LED TV which has Freesat HD built in. All whilst keeping Sky running and working from same dish? Would the Freesat HD on Samsung TV work ok and get signal etc?

If so, how much would it cost to get someone to come in and add new LNB and cable feed from dish to my new TV only?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Keep Sky HD, but add additional feed from dish to Freesat HD TV - Will it work?

Both Sky and Freesat use the same groups of Satellites. The only difference is the EPG and the available channels, so yes this will work perfectly well.

An Octo-LNB suitable for Sky will set you back around 22-30 if you were to buy on-line. The cost of the coaxial cable will depend on the distance involved.

My understanding is that there are two fittings for a Sky dish.

Personally I would be tempted to look around for a local contractor or two to get an estimation of the full costs involved.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Re: Keep Sky HD, but add additional feed from dish to Freesat HD TV - Will it work?

Got a local guy coming today who i just rang and he confirmed it will work fine with octo lnb and new feeds. Says he wants 100 for octo lnb, cable, installation inc VAT. I found an octo lnb for 59 online, and other quotes were 80-100, so this seems fair to me.

Scubbie - Whats the deal with this issue i am having with my new DLink Wireless Powerline. I lost as to what issue is? Is new powerline with 500 mb/s speed capability, yet when its connected up, it only gives me 25mb speed when it should be near the 75mb i get when mac is plugged direct into router, surely? Is this 10/100 ethernet interface it has the issue/an issue? Would make no sense if it was given it says 500mb/s speed capability? See my post in powerlines thread yesteray.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Sounds like a good price.

I was following the thread where you discussed your HomePlugs. Whilst they are a huge benefit in areas where it is hard to lay an Ethernet cable, I am more convinced that HomePlugs are not currently capable of sustaining a suitable connection for power users. With the continual increase in broadband speeds, I do not believe that they are good in this environment either, if you are looking for a fast connection.

The wiring in your home plays a huge part, but I believe that local interference also plays a part. I know that it is not recommended to run an old pair of HomePlugs on the same wiring. Old meaning say a pair of 85mbps HomePlugs or slower. We have also seen instances where people have accidently used a neighbour's HomePlug to connect to their Internet connection. It is quite possible to surmise that if a neighbour is using an old pair of HomePlugs that they could interfere with yours.

What would really help is for someone to do some real testing with a variety of different HomePlugs in several different locations and to publish the results. This would help to guide people better towards what would be suitable for them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Am pretty sure neighbours not using any homeplugs. I never had issues before when i had 85mbps homeplugs. I got these 500mbps homeplugs as wanted to maximise speeds i now have on fibre. I wanted to connect it to router downstairs, to then plug in other homeplug upstairs by Sky HD box to connect that up via ethernet to get better on demand download speeds. The one i bought (Dlink) has upto 500mbps speeds and also has wireless feature to extend my wireless signal. However, speeds since installing them are worse than the 85mbps?!

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Homeplugs will default to the lowest speed of any Homeplug on your network. Poor connections in the mains cabling will reduce the data transfer speed further (which is why flying leads are not recommended - they may add further unwanted noise to the network).

Don't forget that Homeplugs (like WiFi) have an enormous overhead on encryption and that does slow their speed dramatically compared to LAN cable. I've seen it reported that WiFi and Homeplug have roughly the same speed loss due to encryption.

Finally the claimed Homeplug speed is not the data transmission speed but the speed at which their clocks sync. Actual transmission speed will be a fraction of the quoted speed.

If you can use LAN cabling. If you can't them Homeplug may be more secure than WiFi but otherwise it will offer similar speeds.