Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

bt sport and freesat

This is a discussion on bt sport and freesat within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Originally Posted by Isitme I doubt if Sky will pair a card when neither the box or the card has ...

robinsmith30 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: bt sport and freesat

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I doubt if Sky will pair a card when neither the box or the card has been purchased from them, even for FreesatfromSky. Buy the card from Sky as dms05 suggests and you should be OK.
      Thanks for the advice. To avoid any problems I have purchased a Sky viewing card fromFreeSatFromSky directly via 08448 244 400 so it will be registered to my home address (and be brand new).

The friendly Skylady told me
      1. The card will take 3-4 days for delivery
      2. It will need to be renewed every 3-4 years at a cost of 25
      3. When I have a Sky HD box to call 08448 244460 to register card to box

Thanks for theadvice

Robin

2. Advertisement
      shawfield is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Forgive if I am on the wrong forum, however, I will attempt to make my queries as understandable as possible.

I have a Sky freesat system, purchased around 6 years ago via a Sky promotion for 50.

It consists of a sat dish and a white decoder box (labelled "DV3") and appears to work perfectly well, at least as far as non-HD reception is concerned.

Leaving aside the HD issue, which I understand can be resolved by upgrading both the dish cabling and the decoder box, (my Toshiba Regza TV is HD compliant), my questions revolve around my current lack of capabilities of recording either Sky or freeview broadcasts.

I note that e-bay for example, offer suitable recording devices for around 60, but which imply upgrading or pairing of an already existing "card" which my decoder box does not include.

Can anyone advise?

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

You have two options for recording. The first is to pay Sky a monthly fee to use one of their PVR's (it's not a subscription, it just activates record/playback) and it costs about 10/month. The second choice is to buy a genuine Freesat PVR such as a Humax and use the included record/playback for free. The cost for a Humax will be 200+. So no 'free' choice in that you will have to spend money one way or another. I'd personally go the Humax / Freesat route but that is up to you.

If you want 'free' BT Sport then you will have yo go the Sky route as BT seem to be using the Sky Viewing Card database to verify user details and make sure no one acts fraudulently. You would then need a current Sky Viewing Card (Freesat from Sky should be OK) registered to your address and paired to your Sky PVR. To record you would have to pay Sky the PVR record/playback fee.

You will need at least a twin LNB and dual cables for either method and that will involve a cost if you can't DIY the fitting.

shakey1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: New Brancepeth NENP
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

isitme is right sky will only pay a card that belong to the owner they will also need to verify you are the owner viewing card on ebay are sometimes blocked by sky
      try this

already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?

All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just 25. If you’d like to access the interactive services available, you’ll also need a working phone line. To purchase a viewing card please phone Sky on 08448 244 400.
      it is explained further up the thread viewing cards are the property of sky subscriber services and it isint legal for a seller to sell a used card on ebay for what ever reason. cards should be destroyed if you don't use them never sold or passed on

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234