Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Provided Box for New FreeSat Sky Installation

This is a discussion on Provided Box for New FreeSat Sky Installation within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hello, Thank you for taking your time to read this question. It's a quick and simple question hopefully (and unfortunately, ...

Prestige is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Provided Box for New FreeSat Sky Installation

Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to read this question. It's a quick and simple question hopefully (and unfortunately, I cannot find a confirmed answer to on the net via a deep search). So, thank you again for reading this, and I appreciate your replies. Thank you.

So, to get straight into it; as the title describes clearly (IMO); with a new Freesat from Sky installation at 175 (FREESAT from Sky - Call now to order), which Sky set-top box will I receive? As I'm planning to purchase one myself off eBay, and repair my current install, rather than paying 175 (as my current installation is pretty much setup).

My question basically is, which set top box (model, if possible) would I receive from Sky if I purchased the Freesat installation?

The picture on their web site shows a Sky HD multi-room box (model: DRX595). But I don't trust pictures, most of the time, they're only there for show. Or in this scenario, is this actually the case? Will I receive a DRX595? Which is a multi-room box? And will it work as my main setup, rather than having it in another room?

Sorry about all the hassle, and thank you very much for reading this post! I extremely appreciate it. Thank you again.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Provided Box for New FreeSat Sky Installation

It will be the DRX595.

Unless you are willing to pay the extra 15 per month to enable the Sky+ recording service, then there would be no benefit of having a DRX890 or DRX895.

Personally if I were considering Freesat I would be looking at the Humax Freesat+ HD STB. Although a lot of money (around 250) and the installation of the dish and cable on top, it offers a good set of features IMHO. These would include BBC iPlayer and a few other Internet based features too.

The DRX595 does not have the ability to download content off the Internet.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Prestige is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thank you for your response Scubbie, I extremely appreciate it.

Thank you for your suggestion too on the Humax box, but I'm trying to keep costs rock-bottom low; as much as possible. I only need the channels offered by Sky's Freesat service, plus the free-to-air HD content is welcome. I only had to confirm which box would be provided, as I'm planning to purchase the box off eBay, then set that up; pay a Sky engineer to repair my current dish for 65 (wind knocked it off course), then purchase a Freesat viewing card, and I'm good to go with Freesat. Rather than paying 175, I'd end up paying around 130 (saving 45). I know it's not much of a save; but considering 65 of it's going to Sky, it's not too bad (so I'm paying 65 for the box + card, and another 65 for repair).

It's for my mother, and she's not too familiar with the latest technology, so a DRX595 is perfect. No recording is fine, and the HD is welcome. As for BBC iPlayer and so on features, unfortunately there is currently no phone line, or broadband at my mother's home. She's happy with her current setup from 10 years back, but recently wind blew the satellite out of position, so a repair will be required. In the process, I might as well upgrade her setup, and purchase her a Freesat from Sky Box and a HD TV. I'm looking at a 19" widescreen HD TV. For 200, instead of only being able to purchase Freesat, I will be able to get Freesat from Sky and an Alba 19" HD LED TV. I'm only a student at the moment, so I'm not getting a full-time job's pay; so I'm on a budget (if this wasn't the case, my mother would have Ferrari's [notice the plural ] parked outside, even though she doesn't have a licence).

One more question, sorry about the hassle, isn't the DRX595 box a multi-room box? Will it be compatible as the primary box, with no other boxes in the household? Sorry about these questions, and thank you very much!

Thank you for everything!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

For a new Sky customer the normal STB supplied will be the DRX890 with the recording facilities. A Sky customer would be paying the monthly subscriptions and have the Sky+ feature included FOC.

Sadly non-subscribers have the Sky+ feature disabled, unless they pay an additional 15 per month.

I guess that since the intention is to provide an STB with no monthly subscription, they send out the DRX595. This will function perfectly well without any other STB.

For interest, there are plenty of other Freesat+ HD STBs. I would suggest that you sweet-talk the Sky Engineer to install a twin feed from the LNB. Should you or your mother wish to change the SkyHD STB for one with recording features at a later date, it would be considerably easier.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

She's happy with her current setup from 10 years back
      With a box that old if she is a current Sky subscriber she may very well qualify for a free or discounted upgrade. You should look into this first.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.