Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Freesat works but sky doesn't!

This is a discussion on Freesat works but sky doesn't! within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Apologies if this question has been asked before but I did a search and couldn't find anything. My wife and ...

Megazak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01772
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Freesat works but sky doesn't!

Apologies if this question has been asked before but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

My wife and I purchased a property on the Costa Blanca in Spain last year and we were delighted to find out that our urbanisation has a community satellite dish through which all apartments can receive UK freesat channels with the appropriate receiver. I was even more delighted when a neighbour informed us with a sky box we could get sky channels as well so I duly brought my sky box over and voila, we now have sky in Spain. We only have one cable coming into the apartment so we don't have the functionality of being able to record one channel whilst watching another but we can live without that while we are here.

I told a friend who lives on the same urbanisation about sky and she duly brought her sky box and card over, but when I set this up for her, I got the 'no satellite signal is being received' message. Thinking her settings were still on dual feed rather than single feed (which they were) I altered it but it has made no difference. She still couldn't get a signal. Thinking then her box was the problem, I took mine over but to my surprise, that doesn't work in her apartment either. Thinking then her cable feed was faulty, I reinstalled her freesat box which worked perfectly!

What I now suspect, and this is where I would welcome advice, is that the cable run to her apartment is too great. Whereas the community dish is directly outside our apartment, hers is about 300 metres from the dish. Would the signal loss in this cable run be that great as to prevent her sky box receiving a signal and can anything be done to overcome this, such as a signal booster perhaps? But if denigration of the signal is the problem, why does her freesat receiver get a signal?

If anyone can throw any light on this or suggest how to resolve it, I would be extremely grateful.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks

Re: Freesat works but sky doesn't!

Perhaps this could be the problem: http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/Reso...cess%201.3.pdf

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Megazak (13-04-13)

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

It may well be the default transponder (tp) setting. If a Sky box can't receive the default tp then it won't work on any channel because it isn't receiving the EPG data stream. When we spent time in Spain I reset the default tp to the Sky News tp. Every tp on the Astra 2 satellites carrys a sub-set of the EPG for one day (rather than 7 on the default tp). You can find all the tp details at Astra 1N / Astra 2A / Astra 2D / Astra 2F / Eutelsat 28A / Eutelsat 28B (28.2E) - All transmissions - frequencies - KingOfSat but the Sky News tp details are 12207 V, 27500, 2/3. Find the default transponder settings in the Menu for the Sky box and enter these details. The link in the previous post tells you how.

Equally relevant is the fact that not all satellite receivers share the same tuner sensitivity and it's well known that certain receiver models are preferred in Spain.

I would expect the communal dish you are using (I assume it's very large!) to have a distribution amplifier between the dish LNB and your incoming feed so even though the box is at the end of a long lead the signal should still be enough to power the box.

Finally just for background - Astra 2 is a series of satelltes with different footprints. UK Terrestrial stations (ie BBC/ITV etc) are on a satellite focused tightly on the UK and in Spain you need a BIG dish to receive any of these. The same applies to those Astra tp's designated N (north) beams. However many Sky channels are on S (south) beams and can be received on a small dish. I could (just) receive some Sky channels on a standard Sky dish on the Costa Blanca but needed a 2.4m dish for BBC/ITV. In the latter case you not only need a big dish but also an expensive LNB built to a high standard (as everyone know whilst size counts it's also a question of signal quality).

Good luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dms05 For This Useful Post:

Megazak (13-04-13)

Megazak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01772
      Thanks

Thanks seawright and dms05 for your speedy responses. I shall certainly look into both and let you know how I get on.

By the way, the community dish is massive, at least 3 metres I would estimate.