Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is Freesat from Sky good value for money

This is a discussion on Is Freesat from Sky good value for money within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; At under 100 I always thought that Sky's Pay Once Watch Forever package was a good deal for anyone without ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Is Freesat from Sky good value for money

At under 100 I always thought that Sky's Pay Once Watch Forever package was a good deal for anyone without an existing satellite dish who did not want to be tied into a twelve month subscription. Unfortunately this package is no longer available.

The only alternative from Sky is their Freesat package at 175 which I consider to be rather expensive albeit it does allow HD reception of 6 channels which were not available with the previous package. There are many Freesat packages available from high street retailers and other sources covering a range of prices from around 100 to considerably more than Sky are charging.

I am just wondering from the point of view of value for money whether to advise a retired relative to purchase Freesat from Sky or whether they should be looking elsewhere. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts
      To be fair if I wanted a Satellite service without a subscription I would just buy a Freesat STB.

The Humax range is probably the best on the market at the moment. Get one which can record too.

Check Wikipedia for a list of the available channels to see if this is what he wants. Search for "list of freesat channels".

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Forum Runner

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

seawright (20-11-12)

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Is Freesat from Sky good value for money

Why won't the Freeview service suffice? It's built into most modern TV's, it uses an existing aerial and is free. It's also a single remote control!

No matter how you look at it Freesat involves some expense. The cheapest Freesat HD box and installation will be over 200. If you go for a Freesat HD recorder and installation then it's 300.

Of course if you already have a dish installed then the costs can be lower. But what extra over Freeview would you get for the money?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dms05 For This Useful Post:

seawright (20-11-12)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Why won't the Freeview service suffice? It's built into most modern TV's, it uses an existing aerial and is free. It's also a single remote control!No matter how you look at it Freesat involves some expense. The cheapest Freesat HD box and installation will be over 200. If you go for a Freesat HD recorder and installation then it's 300.Of course if you already have a dish installed then the costs can be lower. But what extra over Freeview would you get for the money?
      Freeview reception with the existing aerial is not very good so a new TV with new aerial sounds like a very expensive option if the only advantage is a single remote control.

If the cheapest Freesat HD box and installation will be over 200 then 175 for Freesat from Sky sounds like an attractive proposition where there isn't an existing dish.

Prestige is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Freesat is basically two words merged into one. "Free", so no price involved after installation (free to air). Then, "sat" for satellite (a method of communicating to receiving TV). If you already have a satellite dish installed, you can simply get a Freesat box, and hook it up and you're good to go. You pay for the box, but not the channels; as it's free to air (it actually is free, if you understand where the costs are going + ignoring TV License)!

However, since you do not have an existing dish, Sky would probably be your most cheapest and best bet. Freesat from Sky gives you way more channels than any other provider, plus provided additional HD channels. Furthermore, since you don't already have a dish, Sky will set that up for you.

Since you do not have a satellite dish, Sky seems very promising, and I would probably go down that road. For 175, you would get a Sky satellite dish installation (+ coax cables), Sky HD box, and HDMI/Scart cables to hook up with your TV. The engineer will either install a HDMI or Scart cable based on your TV setup. You will also get a whole range of channels: FREESAT from Sky - What can I watch?

I'm not trying to promote Sky in anyway, but since you don't have a dish installed, Sky would be the best method. If you don't want Sky, you would need to purchase a Freesat box, and install a dish yourself (or pay someone else to do it). Since Freesat boxes are quite expensive, it seems better to go with Sky.

However, you need to consider few factors. Let me start off with a positive, I just need to get this thought out my head. With Sky you get a much more pleasant, branded EPG (Electronic Programme Guide). It's a beautiful interface. Additionally, you will receive 1 year warranty; and if anything at all goes faulty (dish/cables/sky box); they will replace it at no additional cost. If you're outside your warranty, they will offer the same service for 65 (they will fix your setup; so if there is a problem with a dish, box, cables or all, they will replace it). After the repair, they then provide another 3 months warranty. So if your setup becomes faulty within 3 months of the repair, they will again repair your setup for free once again (provided you're within the first 3 months after repair).

Freesat on the other hand, you would probably have to manage yourself.

I don't want to go into too much detail of Freesat, as I don't have much experience with it; and from my searching, it seems as if it's all DIY. Of course, you can look into it yourself and see which suites you; but from my perspective, and price, it seems Sky is a much better deal for you.

All the best!

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

One big difference not yet mentioned - the ability to record costs another 10 per month with Sky whilst it is free with FreeSat and an appropriate box!
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think Sky will supply their basic box for Freesat, ie, one that does not have any recording functions. A similar HD box from other sources will be around 65, 35 for the SD version. Fitting a dish would cost around 120 with a local installer, so the Sky price is very attractive.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.