Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Which connectors will I need?

This is a discussion on Which connectors will I need? within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Have just ordered a new TV which has Freeview HD & Freesat HD built in. (Samsung ue55es6300) 1) I know ...

Almost Interesting is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Which connectors will I need?

Have just ordered a new TV which has Freeview HD & Freesat HD built in. (Samsung ue55es6300)

1) I know I will need an aerial to operate the Freeview ~ but does a normal coax cable just plug in to a coax socket on the back of the telly? (I don't know if there is even such a thing as a coax socket on the back of modern TVs?)

2) I already have Sky+ and I know that I will need a quad LNB for the satellite dish in order to get a connection for the Freesat. What I don't know is how exactly I will connect the "other end" of that satellite cable to the back of the TV? Is there a socket (or sockets) on the back of the TV that will accept the F plug(s) that I assume may be used at the TV end of the satellite cable? . . . or will I have to connect the end of the satellite cable to another type (possibly HDMI?) of connector in order to make the final connection into the back of the TV ???

(Sorry for the naive questions, but there seem to be so many different sockets on the back of TVs now.)

Thanks for any help.

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Which connectors will I need?

Freeview operates through a standard TV aerial so you just plug your new TV in as you had your old TV. Don't be confused with any talk of a 'Digital aerial', no such device exists and your old analogue aerial should be OK (as always their are some minor qualifications to this if you are in an area where the move to digital has seen a move to a different aerial band at the same time - just try it by tuning the TV).

Freesat is connected by the 'F' connector on the end of the satellite feed from the LNB. Just plug it into the TV's 'F' connector socket and again tune in as the manual tells you. You seem to have two LNB feeds for Sky+ and will need another for Freesat. Your LNB may well be a Quad (ie 4 output) as Sky have fitted them as standard for many years. So you may just need to run an additional coax cable for Freesat, at worse you can fit a new Quad LNB and run the cable at the same time. Sky BSkyB Quad LNB/LMB MK4 Adaptor x 4 F Connector | eBay

Freesat will obviously give you the FTA programmes you currently receive on Sky so it has no obvious advantage over your current set up but will offer the opportunity to watch a third programme whilst recording 2 at the same time on your Sky+ box - but most will be available on Freeview in any case.
      Last edited by dms05; 11-11-12 at 09:24 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dms05 For This Useful Post:

Almost Interesting (11-11-12)

Almost Interesting is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Which connectors will I need?

Thanks for your helpful info, dms05.