Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Free sat in more than one room

This is a discussion on Free sat in more than one room within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I want to get freesat as aerial reception is crap. I have a normal aerial in the roof with a ...

rpr
      rpr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01379
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Free sat in more than one room

I want to get freesat as aerial reception is crap. I have a normal aerial in the roof with a splitter to provide a feed to 3 rooms. can I send the feed from the dish to the splitter in the roof, via the existing system and then back to the other two rooms without the need for massive re-wiring? Any help / advice helpful. I can t get any sense out of anyone on the sky helpdesk.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Free sat in more than one room

Moved to more appropriate forum for help.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Unfortunately the satellite dish is actually 4 different aerials. Only one can be in use at any time, and its selected using a combination of voltages and an audio tone. You cannot split a satellite feed correctly as only one of the destinations can be selecting the required aerial feed from the dish.
      If you want to feed three Freesat boxes, then you need an LNB with three or more outputs.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You will never get a great reception with an aerial in the loft, especially if it is also split.

You need to get a decent digi aerial on the roof with a 4 way masthead amp and then a feed to each TV.

Then you should have no problems

Depending on the signal strengh, you may be able to put the amp in the loft and use the existing cables but I would recommend new runs to each TV as the old coax will not be digi spec.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      You will never get a great reception with an aerial in the loft, especially if it is also split.

You need to get a decent digi aerial on the roof with a 4 way masthead amp and then a feed to each TV.

Then you should have no problems

Depending on the signal strengh, you may be able to put the amp in the loft and use the existing cables but I would recommend new runs to each TV as the old coax will not be digi spec.
      He wants Freesat.
      The cable should still be fine, theres no such thing as digital spec, the qpsk(Satellite)/COFDM(DTT) signals are still analogue.

Thanks

Last edited by Smithy99; 21-08-08 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks

Yep, cable specs. But no mention of digital or analogue. Like I said Digital TV still uses analogue signals. If it works for analogue it will work for digital with the same frequency range.
      Theres also no such thing as a Digital Aerial - they are simply wideband analogue antennas suitable for receiving the DTT frequencies.

Thanks

Sorry, didn't include the details of the scheme:-

Cable Benchmarking Scheme

The basis of the scheme is to lay down minimum standards for the technical performance of TV coaxial cable based on the specific requirements for satisfactory DTT reception. It is not intended to address general quality issues, such as standard of construction, durability etc., which can largely be assessed by visual inspection and from practical experience. This benchmarking scheme covers coaxial cables only. It does not cover the complete aerial installation, or installation practice.

Conformance to the minimum standards is determined by independent measurements against a technical performance specification. This has been compiled by an industry wide committee who will monitor the implementation of the scheme and agree any necessary changes to the detailed procedures, test methods, and specifications.

The scheme allows the measurements to be carried out by any test house that is able to demonstrate that it meets the required standards of measurement accuracy. The use of the 'mark' will be authorised for specific products by the CAI, once the 'pass' certificate and supporting documentation has been issued by the test house. Testing of random samples sold to installers or retailers will ensure ongoing conformance.

The Cable Benchmarking Scheme is a purely voluntary arrangement within the industry and the DTG/CAI have no intention of seeking any form of mandatory status at this time. It is however expected to be widely adopted and reference may be made to specific types of CAI/DTG benchmarked cable in manufacturers literature, purchasers' requirement specifications or supply contracts.

Benchmarked aerials should always be used in conjunction with good installation practice as laid down by the CAI Code of Practice and the recommendations in DTG R Book 2.

__________________________________________________ _______

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the existing cable won't work but if your going to all the expense of fitting a new aerial and amp then I feel it wise to run in new cable.

Just about every house I have installed an aerial in where the coax has been ran into the loft has had a poor quality coax, usually the cheapest the electrician can get.

As digital is more likely to suffer electrical interference than standard analog I would expect any coax used should be double screened for peace of mind.

Thanks

Sorry, didn't include the details of the scheme:-

Cable Benchmarking Scheme

The basis of the scheme is to lay down minimum standards for the technical performance of TV coaxial cable based on the specific requirements for satisfactory DTT reception. It is not intended to address general quality issues, such as standard of construction, durability etc., which can largely be assessed by visual inspection and from practical experience. This benchmarking scheme covers coaxial cables only. It does not cover the complete aerial installation, or installation practice.

Conformance to the minimum standards is determined by independent measurements against a technical performance specification. This has been compiled by an industry wide committee who will monitor the implementation of the scheme and agree any necessary changes to the detailed procedures, test methods, and specifications.

The scheme allows the measurements to be carried out by any test house that is able to demonstrate that it meets the required standards of measurement accuracy. The use of the 'mark' will be authorised for specific products by the CAI, once the 'pass' certificate and supporting documentation has been issued by the test house. Testing of random samples sold to installers or retailers will ensure ongoing conformance.

The Cable Benchmarking Scheme is a purely voluntary arrangement within the industry and the DTG/CAI have no intention of seeking any form of mandatory status at this time. It is however expected to be widely adopted and reference may be made to specific types of CAI/DTG benchmarked cable in manufacturers literature, purchasers' requirement specifications or supply contracts.

Benchmarked aerials should always be used in conjunction with good installation practice as laid down by the CAI Code of Practice and the recommendations in DTG R Book 2.

__________________________________________________ _______

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the existing cable won't work but if your going to all the expense of fitting a new aerial and amp then I feel it wise to run in new cable.

Just about every house I have installed an aerial in where the coax has been ran into the loft has had a poor quality coax, usually the cheapest the electrician can get.

As digital is more likely to suffer electrical interference than standard analog I would expect any coax used should be double screened for peace of mind.
      The last bit I do agree with. Digital uses a far lower power transmitter so will be more prone to interference, however digital also includes some error correction capabilities. A double shield will help with noise rejection.