Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Recording from Free Sat

This is a discussion on Recording from Free Sat within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi I have a free sat setup and wish to record all free view channels. At present I have a ...

Chris Windscheffel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bridgend
      Broadband ISP: Free Sat user
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Recording from Free Sat

Hi I have a free sat setup and wish to record all free view channels. At present I have a HDD DVD recorder which I suspect has a analogue tuner only as it will record only the terrestial channels, will I have to invest in another recorder with a digital tuner? Can any one please help before I spend (and possibly) waste more cash. Regards Chris

2. Advertisement
      Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Recording from Free Sat

Can your HDD recorder accept a scart input? If so then it can certainly record from your freesat box, just means you have to tune the freesat box prior to any recordings.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

It has a scart socket and I've tuned the freesat box but no luck yet. The only channels I'm able to record are BBC1&2 ITV1 and S4C.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

In that case you haven't selected the correct input. Your Digibox is outputing through a SCART lead connected to it's VCR output. This connects to the INPUT SCART on your DVD/HDD box. You then have to select the SCART input on the DVD/HDD box - it sounds as if you are simply still trying to record from the analogue tuner built into the recorder. You will need to select AUX (or something similar) and see if it works.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've now discovered how to set the scart control on the digibox, but I am not sure as to how to retune the digibox to the HDD DVD recorder, does any one have any more help? ( Still only able to receive the terrestial channels ). PS As far as I can be certain, I'm not able to select scart input on DVD HDD, also not sure as to select AUX on the HDD DVD or even if it is possible. I have a Yakumo HDD DVD recorder if that is of any help.
      Last edited by Chris Windscheffel; 07-07-08 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Further information supplied

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Your viewing this problem from the wrong end. You don't tune the digibox to work with the DVD/HDD recorder - your digibox outputs by SCART and all that is fixed, you need to select (or to use your term, tune) the DVD/HDD input source to be the digibox. The best solution is to look at the DVD/HDD manual and see what it says.

How many SCART sockets has the DVD/HDD box have? I suppose it's just possible this box only outputs through SCART in which case you will have phono inputs for external sources like the digibox. In that case you need a SCART (connected to the digibox) and the phono ends connected to the DVD/HDD box.

But the Manual will be the best source of this information.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Windscheffel View Post
      Hi I have a free sat setup and wish to record all free view channels.
      Just for the record, this is impossible because all the "Freeview" channels are not available on Freesat.

To record Freesat channels, I recommend you wait for the Humax PVR which is due to be released some time after August.

Freesat-Box is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

One thing to do is like Sam Radford suggested, is to wait for a PVR which will allow you to record at the touch of a button, and most probably do a lot more things like pausing live tv.

If you want to record from your freesat box I'd recommend doing it this way - connect your tv to your freesat box, freesat box to your HDD/DVD recorder, and your HDD/DVD to your tv. If you are familiar with AV/EXT/scart input channels then on your tv you will have one for your freesat box and one for your HDD/DVD recorder. With the link between your freesat box and your HDD/DVD recorder, make a note which socket you are putting the scart lead into on the HDD/DVD. Some HDD/DVD recorders might have input sockets, others will label them with numbers. If you change to the HDD/DVD recorder channel on your television and then on your HDD/DVD recorder remote control go through the input channels you should be able to see a picture from the freesat box. Another option is to set the HDD/DVD recorder to record from the SCART channel and then try to watch it back.

If you turn your tv on one day and you find that you have no menus from the freesat box, it might be worth checking which channel that you are on on your television. If it's set to the HDD/DVD recorder box then you might not have any menus so that you have a clean recording.

For recording I'd thoroughly recommend using the reminders function on the box. If you get the box to automatically change over channels with reminders, then before going out you set all the reminders on freesat box, and input the times into the HDD/DVD recorder box. That should mean that you will record programs on different channels without needing a human to change over the box.