Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wanting to replace my Sky ER110 with something better

This is a discussion on Wanting to replace my Sky ER110 with something better within the Extracting Sky Router passwords forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi there I am currently with Sky Broadband on Sky Fibre Max but have no idea what "type" of broadband ...

smillar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Wanting to replace my Sky ER110 with something better

Hi there

I am currently with Sky Broadband on Sky Fibre Max but have no idea what "type" of broadband it is (like FTTC, FTTP, copper, etc). Whatever type it is, my Sky router has a DSL plug on the back that connects to my phone line and it is listed as a Sky ER110.

I am wanting to get rid of this as it has very few features that I find in any way helpful for monitoring and controlling my network and the internet usage beyond some very basic features, but to be able to do this I will need the username and password so that I can use the credentials in the new modem.

The new hardware I am eyeing up is a D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ modem and a Linksys WRT3200ACM, the modem to make the internet connection and the router to control network and internet access (as well as provide wifi). I have previously tried using another type of router hanging off the existing network, plugged into the Sky Hub, but with the hub's DHCP and wireless turned off. It all worked ok, but the second router didn't play nice with being connected to the Sky Hub in terms of collecting and controlling the network traffic as it seemed to be seeing devices connecting through it but unable to control the other network or internet traffic. So, nice internet access, good wireless range, but a lot of money for what was essentially just better wifi. A work buddy has the exact same setup as what I'm eyeing up, and using the same connection type (DSL plug from his modem to his phone line) so I'm confident this will all work and have seen his in action along with the management pages... which gave some pretty sweet control over everything from what I saw.

So, it's literally just the username and password stuff that I think will be holding me back here and I'm hoping there's someone more knowledgeable than myself who can point me in the right direction or confirm if any of the other posts about this cover exactly what I need. Hypotheticals are all well and good, but I don't want to shell out for this new kit only to be unable to use it in the way I want because of something Sky specific that I haven't taken into account.

TL;DR - I think I just have to supply a username in a specific masked format and any password, but I may be reading things wrong. As usual.

Advice welcomed please

Edit: I've just stumbled upon something called "option 61" and that anything trying to connect to Sky Broadband that doesn't support this just won't work (apparently)? Now I'm dead with confusion. Death by confusion? Is that a thing? ;-(

Thanks
      Steve
      Last edited by smillar; 20-06-18 at 07:53 PM.

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Wanting to replace my Sky ER110 with something better

If you have Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro then you are on FTTC and need a VDSL modem, not an ADSL modem, the D-Link you have specified appears to be ADSL only.

With regards to the Linksys, I don't think it supports option61 which is a requirement to connect to Sky, you may be able to flash it with the third party firmware though.

I suggest you look for a second hand Openreach modem on Ebay, as for the router, scan these forums, there are several options, the Asus AC68 is a popular choice. Details of how to make it work with Sky are available by searching this forum too, Search for Asus AC68.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

4. The Following User Says Thank You to marjohn56 For This Useful Post:

smillar (21-06-18)

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

modem types.. 8800nl v1's, hg612's, vmg8324's will all work in bridge mode to a router provided it supports option 61 which is needed for sky. Asus routers you can flash with merlin for easy config of the wan port to sky.
      Supported device list
      https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-mer...ported-Devices
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to skyeci For This Useful Post:

smillar (21-06-18)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info so far guys. I've looked at the AC68U on Amazon and because I'm having to grab a VDSL modem to bridge with I need to keep the monies in check, but even for both a modem and router combination the price is still affordable for what I'm getting. Modem-wise I'm using your pointers and Googling and seeing people push VDSL2 instead of VDSL, but I'm not seeing a lot of 2's bolted on VDSL when searching for actual modems. I did find the Vigor 130 which on the DrayTek page itself says VDSL2 but on the Amazon site (same model) it just says VDSL. Still, it's the same picture (I know, I'm that "it looks the same" guy) and isn't ringing any alarm bells so I'm assuming they've just left the 2 out (or maybe the 2 isn't important?). It helps that there are a few people saying that they're using the Vigor 130 in combination with an option 61 capable router too, so my hopes are a boatload higher than they were earlier.

So, 100% glad I posted here before committing and your advice is *really* appreciated. The Merlin firmware looks amazing and I hope I don't something to completely mess the new router up when it gets here

Exchange:
      Thanks

well vigor 130 is ok but if you are on a huawei cab then I would have gone for a broadcom device like the ones I mentioned.
      Do you know your vdsl cab type?. If it's a small single door box then most likely eci, if it's a large double door unit then it's huawei. 130 will work well on the eci cab. not to say it won't on huawei but if the cab type is huawei I may have chosen a broadcom device over the 130... being picky though so ignore me lol..

merlin settings for sky which should get you connected

WAN Connection Type = Automatic*IP
      Enable WAN = Yes
      Connect to*DNS*Server automatically = Yes or enter your preferred choice

Authentication* = None
      Manual clientid = whatever@skydsl|apassword (bottom of the page, this is the option 61 bit..)
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

9. The Following User Says Thank You to skyeci For This Useful Post:

smillar (28-06-18)

Exchange:
      Thanks

After much learning about "stuff" and how to find things out about my cabinet, and walking around a bit to actually find it, my cabinet is apparently a "Huawei 288 /384HD FTTC" which is going to be Broadcom! Which is pants because I've went and ordered the Vigor before seeing your reply. I've requested a cancellation of that part of the order so am crossing my fingers now.

So before I go and click yet more buttons, I've done digging and "Billion 8800NL R2 Wireless VDSL/ADSL2+ Modem Router" looks both affordable and suitable but I noticed that in the list above it's a v1 mentioned while the one I listed is an r2. Will the one I've shown there be ok to run in bridge mode as just a modem or am I down a different rabbit hole entirely? Sorry to be a pain, I really don't understand this stuff and Googling is the only thing keeping me afloat. Well, kind of... sinking slowly

Exchange:
      Thanks

personally I would buy a working 8800nlv1 over the v2. The chip in the v1 is much better than the v2. Probably get a v1 a lot cheaper too .
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, cheers, I can't see a v1 on the normal sites I buy stuff from but will have a more general search on eBay and the like at lunchtime when I have more freedom to do stuff on my hands instead of just from my phone.

As a matter of interest, what's the whole Huawei / eci thing about? Is it some kind of incompatibility at a software or device level between the modem and the cabinet?

Exchange:
      Thanks

huawei vdsl cabs have software improvements that ECI cabs do not such as... G.INP, lower snr DS profiles both of which can lead to faster syncs and for very lucky people vectoring...
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

Exchange:
      Thanks

Huge thanks to skyeci for his pointers and sound advice here, plus coaching via PM (again, much appreciated!). I am now running a non-Sky hub setup on Sky Fibre Max (FTTC), which turns out to be a Huawei type cabinet, using a Billion BiPAC 8800NL v1 modem to connect to DSL and an Asus RT-AC68U acting as my main router and wifi access point. Some minimal config was required on option 61 and LAN settings (both on the router).

One very happy Sky customer using much superior non-Sky equipment successfully

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast