Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Flashed Firmware on TP-LINK router and now username and password no longer works

This is a discussion on Flashed Firmware on TP-LINK router and now username and password no longer works within the Extracting Sky Router passwords forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi Guys, Several years back I replaced my Sagem Sky router with a TP-Link N600 adsl router. It's worked well ...

malc-c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Flashed Firmware on TP-LINK router and now username and password no longer works

Hi Guys,

Several years back I replaced my Sagem Sky router with a TP-Link N600 adsl router. It's worked well up until recently when the wifi connections kept dropping and I needed to reboot the router on a daily basis. I checked the firmware and updated to the new version - according to the website the settings should remain untouched, but after loading the router was back to default, so I needed to enter the username and password that I extracted years back using the now defunct site CM9.net

The router then checks a few things and then connects to the network, displaying the up and down speeds, db settings etc, but the PPP section just sits there waiting for connection. I've dug out the old Sagem router and have managed to get on the net and scoured the forums etc for assistance - I've downloaded the extractor from this site, and after booting the router it gives me an Option 60 as = MSFT 5.0 which looks nothing like the normal username and passwords, and then displays the mac address. I tried the option given by an online generator based on the mac address and default wifi key (even though I had changed the wifi key, I assume that the user details is based on the factory settings).

The exchange is ADSL 2+ - would that effect the settings - the sky router shows PPP0A as the "type" but I'm sure before the drop out the N600 displayed PPP0E ? (tried both still no joy)

Anyone got any further suggestions ?

Malc
      Cheers

Malcolm
      www.micro-heli.co.uk

2. Advertisement
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Flashed Firmware on TP-LINK router and now username and password no longer works

I tried wireshark after posting - that too gave #TY2 for option 61 and <MSFT 5.0 for option 60

I would really like to get the TP-Link router working as I use the attached storage option with 2 x 2TB drives as a media server and back up drive. It also has the 5GH wireless option.
      Cheers

Malcolm
      www.micro-heli.co.uk

gmangt4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Re: Flashed Firmware on TP-LINK router and now username and password no longer works

Hi, as its stndard broadband have you tried these details, that what I use to setup a 3rd party router on Sky ADSL:

Username: install@o2broadband.co.uk
      Password: install
      Connection Type: PPPoA
      MTU: 1500
      VPI: 0
      VCI: 38

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmangt4 View Post
      Hi, as its stndard broadband have you tried these details, that what I use to setup a 3rd party router on Sky ADSL:

Username: install@o2broadband.co.uk
      Password: install
      Connection Type: PPPoA
      MTU: 1500
      VPI: 0
      VCI: 38
      Yeah, I tried that, but I wasn't an O2 customer so I'm guessing that's why it didn't work.

I don't recall having to, but the TP-LINK router obviously has a different MAC address... should this be changed (is that possible) to the same MAC address of the Sky router ?

I've entered the default network key and MAC address of the sky router into this calculator Sky BB Pasword Calculator and that gives me the same userID and password as the CM9 skypass generator that was originally used all those years ago.

This is really doing my head in...!!
      Cheers

Malcolm
      www.micro-heli.co.uk

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok... based on your suggestion I tried a further search and came up with this Answered: Settings for own router. - Page 2 - Sky Community

It was basically the same suggestion, but left the password as blank rather than install - and it connected and pulled down the DNS / Gateway and IP mask settings - thanks for the heads up
      Cheers

Malcolm
      www.micro-heli.co.uk

gmangt4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Good your sorted, can be frustrating, handy to know for troubleshooting.