Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Username/PW from dead Sky router

This is a discussion on Username/PW from dead Sky router within the Extracting Sky Router passwords forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi all, I apologise in advance if this has been asked before... My partner has had Sky broadband for several ...

Noo_Noo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Toll Bar End - Coventry
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Username/PW from dead Sky router

Hi all, I apologise in advance if this has been asked before...

My partner has had Sky broadband for several years, but last night the router ceased to work (it would either alternate between constantly rebooting itself, or just lighting up the lan port LEDs).
      After speaking to a representative from Sky, we asked if a non-sky DSL router would work and he said it would. Obviously, after purchasing it (another netgear) and plugging it in, we called back and were told that was completely wrong.

So, having had a look around the forums, and the various ways of extracting the username and password from the Sky router to use on a non-sky router, I'm a little confused. Is there a way of extracting everything I need to use a non-sky router without actually running the Sky router? Seeing as it's broken. The methods I've seen so far all involve flashing new firmware onto it, obviously this isnt an option in our situation.

It was a Netgear DG834GT as far as I can fathom... the white one with the clear front panel.

Also, as an aside, what recourse do we have for getting a refund for the new Sky router my partner has already ordered? It'll apparently take until Wednesday to get here... I can't survive that long without internet!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Username/PW from dead Sky router

From what I understand, the Netgear DG834GT doesn't need to be connected to the Internet to get the information that you require.

Check out the link below and follow the link in the first page to the generation site.

Getting your V1 and V2 router passwords - the safe way

For anyone with any other router, my advice would be to obtain this information NOW whilst your router is working, just in case.

For everyone: Copy and paste the information into the generator tool. Then copy and paste the result into Notepad/text editor and save the result to your computer. Make sure that you have used the correct MAC address. Often people use the wrong one. In all three cases you need to use the 'LAN MAC address'. People have been known to use the WAN MAC address, which is wrong.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms