Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Please read this first.

This is a discussion on Please read this first. within the Extracting Sky Router passwords forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; SkyUser, as a website is neutral on this subject i.e. We do not endorse the "hacking" of the Sky routers, ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Please read this first.

SkyUser, as a website is neutral on this subject i.e. We do not endorse the "hacking" of the Sky routers, however we would like to make our members aware of the risks/concerns, but we are continuing to allow the posting and discussion on this subject so that we can ensure our members have the latest information and so as to make an informed choice.

Please also be aware, that you risk the chance of having your Sky Broadband connection terminated for breaking the Terms and Conditions.

(c) You are responsible for the security and proper use of your username and password and you must not disclose either. You are also responsible for the security and proper use of each additional userís username and password. You are also responsible for all activities that occur under these usernames and passwords. If you know or suspect that your username or password or any username or password of your additional users has been compromised, or you suspect or become aware of any other breach of security, you must tell us immediately. In these circumstances, you must also ensure that any such username or password is changed as soon as possible.

(d) If we believe that there has been, or is likely to be, a breach of security of your username or password or of the username or password of any of your additional users, we may suspend such usernames and passwords and require that any or all of them are changed.

(c) Your Wireless Router (except the software in it) will become your property on installation if you choose Home Installation, or on delivery if you choose Self Install. The software in your Wireless Router is owned by or licensed to Sky or another member of the British Sky Broadcasting group. You must allow this software to be updated. Updates will happen automatically at no extra charge.

(d)Sky Broadband must only be accessed via your Wireless Router. Your Wireless Router is not supplied as being capable of being used to access any other Internet service.

Sky.com - Sky Products;tg&Broadband>Terms and Conditions

As an extra measure of stopping casual people from seeing this forum's information, we have decided to limit it so that only members of SkyUser can view it.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Please read this first.

As you say NewsreadeR , you can only give the members the full facts and let them decide themselves .

benbot80 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01494
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How likely is it that they will catch you using a different router and boot you off their service? I mean, is it a regular occurence?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Not one case reported so far, however Sky could implement this whenever they felt like it.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Hugh72 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: broadstone, dorset
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Talking Re: Please read this first.

the only way i believe this can be done is mac address scanning against the provisioning database/radius login db,

where the users id (user and pw) is scanned against the mac address stored and compared against on the arp cache on the router at Sky.. if the mac address at the wan side doesn't match, then it would infer that the user is using their own hw.

but it's so simple to spoof mac addressing using the right hardware and some clever jiggery pokery to allow remote firmware updating... ie, redirecting tftp data ports to the original router.. a simple tcpdump on a linux host over time would identify the firmware update from sky..
      Last edited by Hugh72; 17-02-08 at 11:39 AM.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

There's also Vendor ID checking - much harder to spoof than a MAC address. Mind you, with Broadcom and TI hogging so much of the ADSL microcontroller market, there's a good chance that the router you replace your Sky router with, actually has the same microcontroller.

But there's an easier way of getting non-Sky routers kicked off. Sky routers periodically connect to Sky's update servers. It would be no big deal to monitor this and if a router doesn't connect for, say, a month, the corresponding entry in the RADIUS servers could be removed. (The period of a month would allow for people who had gone away on holiday and had switched their router off).

That technique would have a number of advantages:
      • people using a non-Sky router would be kicked off
      • the RADIUS server database would be "purged" of the details of a huge number of unused routers (such as routers that had been replaced because they were faulty)
      • the Sky update server is running a customised version of the Apache web server, and is probably easier to modify than the DSLAM firmware, or the RADIUS server
      Of course, there would still be ways around this, but the number of people who had the skills to do this would be quite small.

RupertTHEbare is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSLES
      Broadband ISP: FAST
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      But there's an easier way of getting non-Sky routers kicked off. Sky routers periodically connect to Sky's update servers.
      I don't mean to imply that it would be trivial to write a small piece of code that ran, say, at startup, and spoofed the router's call home with a dump to a local file if an update was found. But I think it would be closer to 'trivial' than it would be 'very difficult', for one who knows how, that is.

At first I thought, no, at least the guys who've got a clue would be stupid not to not see that one coming. And then I thought, no, CST would need feedback from the router that the update went OK and it didn't brick the router.

Finally I had to give myself a good hard slap and shouted "wake up -- this is SKY we are talking about here".

RTB.

ColdFire is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01792
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks alot.
      Cheers man

sickbhoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St. Asaph
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have been having problems with my sky router, and am currently waiting for my 3rd router from them. My first was a netgear, my second was a sagem. I've had intermittent broadband for nearly 3 months now (they were certain it was an issue with the line, but it was actually a faulty router).

I was advised by Sky's Tier 1 AND Tier 2 broadband support that it was possible to get a 2rd party router working with Sky, and although it was against the T&C's, they would only ever need the sky router connected if you have issues with broadband. Sky record their calls etc, so I don't think they could advise that and then cut you off... I think that hacking the sky router would possibly cause you issues, but using a 3rd party router and keeping the sky one for a rainy day should be fine.