Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Should everyone wear a face mask when out in public or at work?

Voters
    15. This poll is closed
    • Yes - Everyone should wear a face mask whilst out

6 40.00%
    • No - Only medical professionals should wear them

1 6.67%
    • No - Only medical professionals and care workers should wear them

8 53.33%
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree11Likes

Face masks - to wear or not?

This is a discussion on Face masks - to wear or not? within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; Hello everyone, A short poll for you all... Do you think that we should all start wearing face masks to ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Face masks - to wear or not?

Hello everyone,

A short poll for you all...

Do you think that we should all start wearing face masks to help reduce the transmission of COVID-19?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Face masks - to wear or not?

Yes I do! I’m no expert but I think it must make it less likely for you to catch the virus if you are wearing a mask, and why are many other countries advising and in some cases insisting people wear them?

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

My view - no. They will give a false idea of safety, they offer virtually no protection even when they are properly fitted and nobody will have any idea of how to care for then, when to change them and how to dispose of them.

In any event, we are told that of the approx 16000 deaths, 90% are of people whose health is already seriously compromised. Have we really destroyed the economy because less than 2000 otherwise reasonably healthy people have died? That's about the annual toll on the roads and nobody has suggested banning all vehicles. Everybody under 65 withourt serious underlying health conditions should resume their normal life immediately. The rest of us should have the risks properly explained to us and then allowed to choose the degree of protection and isolation we think necessary. Only those with seriously compromised health require full protection.
      Annie UK likes this.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So 2000 healthy people have died in 4 weeks, the same amount that would normally die in a year on the roads, ok then that 24000 healthy people will die in the next 12 months! I know 3 people that have been seriously ill with it and being in my mid 50s with a few minor health issues I really don’t fancy taking my chances with it. So will be continuing to follow the rules until advised otherwise, and as an extra measure wearing a face mask when going in supermarkets or doing deliveries in my van!

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Thing is we have been living in a "pandemic" ever since life evolved on this planet. I know none of you want to hear this BUT every living thing on this planet will die. There are only two absolute inevitabilities in every living things lives. You/they/it are born. You/they/it will die, end of. Everything else is down to the luck of the draw. Even you youngsters who like to think that you are invunerable could walk out today and die. This virus thing doesn't give anyone a "nice" death. Do you really think that when your time comes your lead up to the final curtain will be a bed of roses. The huge chances are that you will die a painful, debilitating, frightening death and death will be a welcome release. I have no idea what happens to us after we die. All I know is that I don't remember anything before December 11th 1950 when I was born. I don't remember that to be honest but others have told me about it. Again I know that this is not pleasant to hear but like it or not all of this is an unavoidable fact of life, so to speak.

Bring it on I say. I aint gonna be here for ever and whatever time I get is a bonus Don't get me wrong the thought of death frightens the hellout of me but it, probably, wont be any worse no matter how I die.

Thanks

From my understanding, there are a variety of standards for these masks.

The higher spec'd masks will protect the wearer from breathing in the virus. The lesser specified masks will stop an infected person's breath from spreading the virus to other people.

Since any mask could have the virus resting on it, all masks should be disposed of after use. So unless you have a disposable filter and a reusable mask, the masks should be safely disposed of.

Some countries are mandating that everyone who goes outside should wear a mask. Others are thinking about it.

Since some people may not present any symptoms with the virus, this is why we must isolate ourselves at this time. In most cases, symptoms take a few days to show.

Whilst a person may be symptom-free, they can unknowingly be spreading COVID-19.

So the logic behind getting everyone to wear the masks is simply to catch those who may be infected from spreading it to anyone else.

The downside is that we would need a lot of masks. Far more than are currently available in this country.

People will also need to be taught how to put them on correctly (may not be difficult, but some will struggle) and how to remove & dispose of them after in a safe manner to prevent the wearer from getting the virus which may be present on the mask.

Sometimes I wonder just how many people know how to correctly remove latex or polyurethane gloves without any contaminants getting on their hands? It's an important skill taught in some first aid courses.
      speedyrite likes this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

@pete.i : None of us will live forever, but as you say, this Coronavirus isn't very pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
      Bring it on I say. I aint gonna be here for ever and whatever time I get is a bonus Don't get me wrong the thought of death frightens the hellout of me but it, probably, wont be any worse no matter how I die.
      I can think of better ways.

From what I have learnt, getting this virus could result in long-term lung damage. This could heal. It is simply not known at this time.

This does have severe implications for myself, should I catch it.

There is a severe risk that it could mean that someone couldn't dive after. Since diving is important to me, I would be more than a little upset.

Thanks

then that 24000 healthy people will die in the next 12 months
      1 That assumes that the infection rates will stay the same for a year

2 It represents a very small percentage of the normal death rate in this country (~600000 per year).

Any death is a tradegy for the immediate family and I do not mean to denigrate this in any way, but the current lockdown is destroying the economy and hence the ability of the country (and the NHS) to respond to any future pandemics.

Thanks

There is a severe risk that it could mean that someone couldn't dive after. Since diving is important to me, I would be more than a little upset.
      I am sure that you have considered the risks involved to your future health and happiness, as should everybody. However, unless you buy medical grade facemasks, they will not protect you. The idea behind the use of facemasks is to stop infected, but symptomless, people infecting others unknowingly.

You may have to take additional precautions for some considerable time.
      speedyrite likes this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FelixTCat View Post
      I am sure that you have considered the risks involved to your future health and happiness, as should everybody. However, unless you buy medical grade facemasks, they will not protect you. The idea behind the use of facemasks is to stop infected, but symptomless, people infecting others unknowingly.

You may have to take additional precautions for some considerable time.
      I agree that if I wear a mask it may not protect me from someone else who has COVID-19 and isn't wearing a mask. However, if they were wearing a mask as well, then everyone else would be safer.

As I mentioned above, you can catch this vius and not show any symptoms for serval days but still pass it on to others during that time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast