Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree4Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie
    • 1 Post By speedyrite
    • 1 Post By BurnIT
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Life with COVID-19

This is a discussion on Life with COVID-19 within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; Hi folks, I know that these forums are quiet at the moment and that I am sure you are all ...

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,220 Times in 2,089 Posts

Life with COVID-19

Hi folks,

I know that these forums are quiet at the moment and that I am sure you are all dealing with this pandemic in your own way.

We all live in various places across the UK and Ireland so we are all going to experience this in different ways.

Currently, I'm fine at home. Several things have been cancelled and the local shops have been blitzed by those who appear to have a large need for toilet paper and other such products.

Several of my friends are in the potential high-risk group and I wish them all well. Conditions vary from low or non-existent immune systems to type 2 diabetes and include a couple with known lung conditions which could be worrying. There are also those whom I know who are on the wrong side of 70. I wish them all well and as much as I would love to be there for them, it is perhaps safer that I stay away.

There is a site which has popped up, should you be interested in local help or getting involved. Nextdoor is available as both a website and an app ( Google & Apple ). I know that in my local one there is an active thread with people discussing options for providing help. A small, but important piece of advice, please be careful.

Should the country become locked down, which I consider a real possibility, Sky is still broadcasting. The Internet still works. This forum is still here.

So please, try to have some fun. Put some padding on the walls as the children start to bounce off them (yikes!) and follow the advice provided by the government & NHS to stay safe.

NHS Advice on COVID-19

UK Government Advice

Please DO keep an eye/ear on the news. All the news channels appear to be covering this very well, along with a lot of social media posts.

Please be aware that there are also a lot of silly posts on social media. Some with some misleading advice. For example, it is actually quite safe to use Ibuprofen. However, paracetamol is the better choice for dealing with this for those who have a mild form.
      speedyrite likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Life with COVID-19

Stay safe. And remember:

Like everything else (good or bad) in life - “this too shall pass” ️Tom Hanks (courtesy of Wittertainment)...
      Scubbie likes this.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I have always done a mass shop every couple of months, and guess when I needed to do so??
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,220 Times in 2,089 Posts

We managed to get out yesterday for a walk with cameras. I took a few and I have posted some of the better ones on my FB feed. Below is one of the images, slightly reworked for here.

Life with COVID-19-p1360320-bw-sign2-3000.jpg

If you find yourself at home and unable to get out, please do consider reworking some of those older photos which have been stuck on your phone or tucked away somewhere on some unforgotten memory card. Why not post the results up here?

If you don't have any software to do this, there are plenty of packages out there. some free, whilst others cost a relatively few pounds. Personally I use Corel PaintShop Pro Ultimate and have been doing so for a few years. I know that it is a lot more capable than what I use it for, so why not do something yourself.

Another interest of mine is video editing. I've been making quite a lot of progress in this area over the past few years. Once more, if you have any pieces of video that you have recorded, why not spend some time putting a short video together? 3-5 minutes is a good timeframe to aim for at first. There are plenty of tutorials out there to help. If you need some advice, post up here.

Once more there are plenty of products out there to help. Whether they are Open source, designed for the Mac or Windows environments, some are free, some are paid for. Most offer a 30-day free trial. I'm using Corel VideoStudio Ultimate (most people go for the Pro version) and really love pushing this to the limits. There are a lot of useful templates which are available for this. They used to be supplied as a download link within the product, but I'm not seeing this at the moment with the current version. However, I know that they are still available to download, just well hidden should you need them.

Personally I wouldn't use things such as Windows Movie Maker as they offer too few features for what I do. That's my choice. Another reason for avoiding WMM is that it is no longer supported and the Open Source products, such as OpenShot, really do offer a far better product.

For all these products, there are plenty of guides available online. I know that the products which are made for the professionals are superior. I personally don't have the same budget of a major movie production company, so quite happily use something that works and does a great job.

Remember too that you can upload your videos to YouTube and post a link here.
      speedyrite likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms