Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree8Likes

UK bans microbeads in beauty products in bid to cut plastic in oceans

This is a discussion on UK bans microbeads in beauty products in bid to cut plastic in oceans within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; I believe that the Sea Bin is working and the one in Portsmouth Harbour is just one installation. I don't ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: UK bans microbeads in beauty products in bid to cut plastic in oceans

I believe that the Sea Bin is working and the one in Portsmouth Harbour is just one installation. I don't have a list of other sites, but they are selling them to anyone who is interested.

Seabin Project

As for stopping plastics from getting into our seas, yes the damage is already there. Some of it, such as the Walkers Crisp packet that was shown on this morning's BBC Breakfast, has been floating in the sea for decades.

What is upsetting is that these plastics are often being eaten by fish, turtles, dolphins, whales and anything else that lives in the sea. The idea behind Sky's plastic whale was to promote an awareness. It's getting there. The message is getting out, but slowly.

Microbeads are being found in the sea. They are also being found in every kind of living creature in the sea as they are entering the food chain. Sorry, correction, they have entered the food chain.

Because they are so small, the filtration systems employed at the many sewage works around our country, and every other country, just can't cope. so they simply flush straight through them.

All this waste apparently cleaned of bacteria, flows down many rivers and out into the sea. It'll have seeped into the mud. Everytime a river, the estuary or any seaway into which it flows, is dredged, the dredging will release those microbeads back into the water column.

I cannot see how, with the technology and knowledge we today, how anyone would begin to remove all those plastic microbeads from the sea and from the bottom of the sea.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: VMG1312-B10A & Asus RT-86U with Merlin FW
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Notice they even do Swarfega wipes now too.
      yep, we use these at work Swarfega® Red Box® | For the Workplace. still nothing beats some washing up liquid and sugar

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Mostly those beaches stay pretty clean most times, except during the summer months hottest busy days when families leave their rubbish on the beach from their picnics.
      Just don't understand why people can put their rubbish in a bin, or if one is not available to take the rubbish away and dispose of it properly later.
      dog-man likes this.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      Just don't understand why people can put their rubbish in a bin, or if one is not available to take the rubbish away and dispose of it properly later.
      Today we live in a world where we expect a paid employee of the local council to rush around everywhere, whilst we are tucked up in bed, to clean up everything. This person sweeps our streets, empties the public little bins, rakes over the sandy beaches, cleans the toilets and replaces the soap and toilet paper.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Today we live in a world where we expect a paid employee of the local council to rush around everywhere, whilst we are tucked up in bed, to clean up everything. This person sweeps our streets, empties the public little bins, rakes over the sandy beaches, cleans the toilets and replaces the soap and toilet paper.

What you are really trying to say is that people are lazy. And they are especially younsters specifically teenagers. I was walking behind a bunch of them the other day, one of whom I knew, and they were just dropping rubbish as they went. Because I knew one of them I said that they shouldn't be doing that. I just got a load of abuse. The one I knew did apologise later and didn't take part in the abuse but I, for sure wont be doing that again. Of course the other thing with this "ecological" thing is that industry and industrial countries are far more to blame than individuals. I'm all for reducing or stopping our use of plastic. The suggestion of using washing up liquid and sugar is an excellent one and it smells better than Swarfega. I have also been using the same plastic bag for the last year or so when I go shopping as has my wife. We also recycle but a lot of what we recycle ends up in land fill anyway. Getting back to polluting countries, India, Germany, China, Japan and America, especially America, all pour massive amounts of pollutants into the enviroment INCLUDING plastic micro balls which are used extensively in manufacturing. None of these countries seem to be doing much, except talking, to reduce their pollution. Our industry, such as it is these days since Maggie got her hands on it, dumps it's pollution into the enviroment. As for America some clown took them out of the Paris agreement which wasn't doing much to reduce pollution but it was a start.

As individuals we are not going to be able to do much. As said the stable door is open and the horse has already bolted. Governments, all governmets, need to spend massive amounts of money to reduce and eventually eliminate waste and pollution. did you notice the bit where I mentioned money? Every single government in the world is pleading poverty. None of them will do a damn thing when it is going to cost huge amounts of money, which it will. I do not know what the answer is I'm, probably, not going to be around to worry about it too much. The generation that should be worried don't give a flying whotsit about anything very much so it seems to me that we will just have to live with it until this planet gives up the ghost and I don't think that will be very long in the grand scheme of things.

Oh yeah I DO expect council employees to run around taking my junk away. I do do quite a lot myself but I also pay huge sums of money to my council, and I have paid huge sums for a lot of years, to remove my junk, which in fairness they do. But yes I do expect them to do that.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

I didn't want to point the finger so much at a specific demographic group of people as some wish crack will point out that they are a part of that group and complain as they are innocent of the crimes and how dare anyone accuse them. The simple truth is that too many people today are guilty of just leaving their rubbish anywhere but in the bin.

When I visited Berlin in 2000 I did note that their bins in public places are always in groups of 4. This allows people to separate glass, paper, plastic and other rubbish at that point. I've no idea how successful it was, but it is sadly something that I've yet to see in this country. Sure we can separate our rubbish at home and I hope that most people do this now, but we need to do better. Allowing the local councils to just throw it into landfill sites isn't really helping. If you find ou that your local council does this, let them know you are unhappy. Find out which councillors are allowing the practice and when the next round of local elections comes up, make sure they know why you are voting for someone else. Also, encourage others to vote in the same way. Likewise, should your local counsellor be fighting hard to improve recycling, offer them some support and advertise their positive contributions.

Again this country cannot claim to be innocent. We started the Industrial Revolution and many other countries are still playing catchup. Yes, our record has improved, but at one point you couldn't bathe in the River Thames as it was far too polluted. Thames water spent a lot of money and manpower fixing that problem and things have improved a great deal. Most of our other rivers are also clean now as well. Occasionally we do hear of problems though.

Let's not mention the clown. Seriously, please don't mention him. All those eggs I bought weeks ago sadly won't get used in February now.

Yes, there is much damage done through our pollution. Much of it will take probably thousands of years to undo. However, as individuals, we can take some actions to prevent further damage. One idea, as you have pointed out, is to reuse our shopping bags. Whether we reuse plastic bags or purchase stronger cloth bags or bags made from recycled plastic, we can make steps. There are many others.

It will cost money to put right the damage we have done to this planet. Ok individually we didn't do all the damage, but our industries have frequently tried to cut costs but shoving their pollution into the rivers, seas and oceans. Perhaps they put it into some hole they dug or some other out-of-they-way-site which they thought would be safe. I guess you could say that this is the time when someone bites back for all that penny-pinching.

Businesses aren't going to do this off their own back. They fight to cut costs all the time so that they can remain in business. They constantly compete against one another, often forcing the lowest costs and worst polluter to make things worse. You quite rightly state that it will take action from our governments to put this right. They need to hear it from us. They need to work with each other so that all the countries bring in suitable measures, that are enforced, to not only reduce pollution further but to reverse it. They each need to encourage their populations to clean up things and become less wasteful.

Since this thread started the UK Government has announced a 25 year plan. Wow! What a cop-out. Which, if any, of them will still be around in 25 years time and in a position to complete the task? I can't think of any previous government initiative that had a 25 year plan at the beginning and I can't imagine that anyone is taking it seriously enough to ensure that it will be kept on schedule.

As for paying local councils to have someone take away your rubbish, Ok yes most people do pay local taxes for that. Our bins are emptied periodically and the contents are taken away for analysis, sorry that should read 'to be disposed of in a suitable manner'. The point is that we've got to a point where we expect someone to magically clean up any mess we leave behind in a public place. Too many individuals think that it is perfectly acceptable to drop their empty drink carton on the footpath when they've finished. This has got to stop. Pointing it out is good, but sadly another issue came to light when you did this. Too many people don't respect themselves, so lash out at others when they've done wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12