Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Like Tree12Likes

General Election

This is a discussion on General Election within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; Originally Posted by BurnIT Britain does not need Europe as much as Europe needs Britain. America trades through Britain (mostly) ...

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: General Election

Quote Originally Posted by BurnIT View Post
      Britain does not need Europe as much as Europe needs Britain.
      America trades through Britain (mostly)

If the EU REALLY needed the UK then they would have done more to try and prevent us from leaving, they have not done so.

When will people realise that we are in effect a small island group of the north west coast of mainland europe. We are not a super power and we do not have an empire anymore, we barely have a navy!

(We have nuclear weapons but they are about as much use a chocolate teapot in this instance.)

You cannot change the way a club operates by ripping up your membership card and throwing a tantrum. You need to get other members on your side and get a majority in favour of changing the rules.

BMW, VW, Mercedes and the rest of the German industrial complex will have a hiccup in the thier profits for a while if there are tarrifs in place, but they won't lose tens of thousands of jobs, anyone who thinks that is in cloud cuckoo land..

I used to travel a great deal around the U.K. and the 'Funded by the European Union' signage was not a rare sight, we are also going to lose out on a lot of research and development that is funded by the EU.

As for the Americans trading through Britain, not really, Ford has plants around Europe, GM has just sold its plants to PSA. The financial sector will just move its offices to the EU; as Scubbie rightly points out, most europeans speak either fluent english or a sufficient amount to get by on anyway. No deal and the Japanese companies will also move much of their plants to Europe, so that's Toyota, Honda and Nissun down the drain too.

We NEED to trade with the EU, they would like to trade with us but they do not need it in the same way we do. Any trade deal will mean accepting free movement, no ifs and no buts. So what will we have achieved, nothing apart from maybe cheaper beef and lamb from Australia and shooting ourselves in the foot in the process.

We are going to be in the **** in about 5 years time, the only question that remains is just how deep.
      dog-man likes this.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Something to add to marjohn's comments...

In 2012 the EU gave Ford, who declared a pre-tax profit of $1.7 Billion in 2012, 80 Million to move it's Ford Transit factory from Southampton to Turkey. This resulted in a non-EU country getting a huge investment.

Initially one local UK factory was closed in 2013. The remaining UK factory was closed last year, resulting in job losses. Southampton council are trying to get it redevloped, but it doesn't look like as many jobs will be created as were available before. Also the jobs are totally different so it will be either different people with suitable skills or those who were there before will have to e retrained.

Ford Posts $8 Billion 2012 Profit on Strength of North America | Industry content from WardsAuto

Last shift at Ford's Transit van factory in Swaythling - BBC News

Focus on Ford: The 80m EU loan for Ford's Turkish Transit plant (From Daily Echo)

https://rtuc.wordpress.com/2016/06/1...ampton-closes/

Work to start at ex-Transit van factory in Southampton - BBC News

I am starting to think that if the EU wants blood from us for leaving then we should just turn around and advise ALL UK citizens in Europe to return home immediately. Then to advise ALL Europeans in the UK to either apply for a Visa or return home.

Of course such visas would be strictly time limited to make it ever so inconvenient for them all, with those who come from countries that have made it more difficult being refused.

Would this upset people? <bleep> yeah.

It would get the message across to Europe that we're not to be bullied.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

I am starting to think that if the EU wants blood from us for leaving then we should just turn around and advise ALL UK citizens in Europe to return home immediately. Then to advise ALL Europeans in the UK to either apply for a Visa or return home.

Of course such visas would be strictly time limited to make it ever so inconvenient for them all, with those who come from countries that have made it more difficult being refused.

Would this upset people? <bleep> yeah.

It would get the message across to Europe that we're not to be bullied.
      Great idea... so all the ex-pat pensioners ( 100K+ ) living in Spain will need to find homes in the U.K. and the NHS, hotel and associated sectors in the U.K. will grind to a halt.... hmm, on second thoughts not a great idea.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

eh?? Free NHS treatment when they've been living outside of the UK. Not a chance. Make them wait a couple of years first. They can get private insurance instead.

Besides, under the current system we still have to pay for their treatment if they have been using the EHIC.

They are also free to apply for citizenship within another EU country, as have many non-UK citizens already done here.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I've said my five penneth word on the subject, and I'll not comment further on this topic as it's pretty pointless, but for those who still believe the crud peddled by both remainers and leavers, here are some proper statistics that affect a lot of people.

Read the article, then make up your own minds.

https://qz.com/846820/how-many-briti...ing-in-the-uk/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      eh?? Free NHS treatment when they've been living outside of the UK. Not a chance. Make them wait a couple of years first. They can get private insurance instead.
      They've already paid for it during thier working lives in the U.K. or is that automatically forfeited in this forthcoming utopia?
      Scubbie likes this.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

The bottom line to all of this is that for better or worse we are out unless, of course, May does a Uturn which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. But the reason why the majority voted out has absolutely nothing to do with trade with Europe or what we will or will not lose. It is purely because us Brits do not like being told what to do by people (put your interpretation on that word., I know what words I would substitute but they would get me banned.) in Brussles and Germany. We also don't like to see the MEPs who have jumped on the gravy train and are putting millions of Euros into their pockets whilst our NHS and our nurses and our doctors suffer along with other trades. Trade with the EU is fine. Nobody said we didn't want the common market. We will have lost that now because it isn't us that is throwing the tantrum it is the European Union and those petty little bureaucrats in Brussels and Berlin will do their damndest to ensure we do not trade with them. Yes we will suffer massively for the next ten or fifteen years. But you know what, those of us that voted out couldn't give a flying monkeys. We are going to come out no matter what it costs. We could rejuvenate our industry, that was given away or closed by Thatcher (if that wasn't a treasonest act I do not know what is) providing whoever is in power has the balls. None and I mean NONE, of the present encumbents will have the guts to put the amount of money into the system that will be needed they will to a man/woman be lining their own pockets but there you go. As I said we are out for better or worse unless May reneges and as someone else said if the EU cared that much about us they would have done a hell of a lot more to keep us in. They didn't so we are out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234