Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Like Tree10Likes

The day I hit a child at 20mph - and realised the speed limit must be cut

This is a discussion on The day I hit a child at 20mph - and realised the speed limit must be cut within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; Originally Posted by LeeH1978 You can kill somebody at 20, where will it end? Moronic. The point is that its ...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: The day I hit a child at 20mph - and realised the speed limit must be cut

Quote Originally Posted by LeeH1978 View Post
      You can kill somebody at 20, where will it end?

Moronic.
      The point is that its a lot less likely, what's moronic about that ?
      Scubbie likes this.

2. Advertisement
      LeeH1978 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Barrow Upon Humber
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

The fact that it is also less likely that you would kill somebody doing 10MPH. So let's blanket every road in the UK with that.

Control your kids, don't push everything back on the motorist.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I don't really understand Dr. Foreman's premise. He hits a kid at 20mph in a 30mph zone, but suggests the speed limit should be cut to 20mph. What difference would reducing the speed limit to 20mph make? He would still have hit the kid!

I think his whole story should be taken with a pinch of salt. I wonder if he has an ulterior motive, maybe he has been lobbying for speed reductions and just made the story up. I also find it hard to believe that the father, whose child had just been knocked over, would be very 'friendly' with the driver of the car that had done it. Especially so soon after the incident.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Ok why 20mph, not 30mph?

It's an old graphic, but one that all drivers should be familiar with...

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

The braking distances in that table are calculated from the formula d=v2/20 where d is the braking distance and v is the speed in mph.

The overall stopping distance is d+v feet.

This formula is derived from the decelleration obtained by applying the brakes and has been unchanged for decades, despite the significant improvements in braking, e.g. ABS, tyre compounds etc. The fact that the overall stopping distance is less from lower speed is a mathematical fact, not an argument for reducing speed limits per se.

Thanks

I posted the table in response to the question about that asked what next after reducing the speeds to 20mph.

The point was to show that there is a significant difference between being able to stop when you are driving at 20mps compared to 30mph.

Yes the table suggests that the total stopping distances are:

• 20mph : 12m
      • 30mph : 23m

However you look at it, it's got to be better if you can stop in a shorter space by driving slower.

One important thing that tends to be forgotten is that you should only drive to a suitable speed so that you can stop in the distance you can see.

If you want to play devil's advocate then potentially a small child could run from the back of every single parked car when you are driving down a residential street.

Life teaches us that this doesn't happen on a regular basis, in fact we soon learn that it rarely happens. This means that we increase our driving speed as we become resentful of the fact that we would otherwise have to drive at say 5mph all the time. It means too that we can get to where we were heading a little more quickly and why not?

Of course most people respect that driving at 60mph in a road with parked cars either side is dangerous.

Many years ago someone worked out that 30mph was a good speed limit to set for towns.

Since then there has been a huge increase in the number of parked cars on our roads.

Should we continue to believe that 30mph is still a safe speed limit for those residential roads which are now heavily littered with parked cars on either side of them?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

LeeH1978 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Barrow Upon Humber
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Yes, 30 is perfectly safe when pedestrians stick to the path and follow the green cross code.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Qnan37HiU

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeeH1978 View Post
      Yes, 30 is perfectly safe when pedestrians stick to the path and follow the green cross code.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Qnan37HiU
      Who's being moronic now posting a 40 year old video which shows a road which is not likely to be reduced to 30.
      Last edited by dholdi; 22-01-16 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks

The argument for 20mph speed limits isn't for the main roads or trunk roads going through our towns and villages, as shown in that video.

The argument is for a 20mph speed limit to be introduced for all the residential roads. The roads which today we see lots of parked cars either side of. The roads where it is possible for a 5 year old child to become excited and run around his or her home, then to find that a front door has been left open, followed by a gate...

As adults we can see the risk. As adults we are responsible for supervising those in our charge.

However we are all human.

Sometimes things happen. Sometimes those things can be bad.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

That might be acceptable if only residential side streets were limited to 20 mph. But that isn't the proposal, is it. ALL streets in towns should be limited to 20 mph under the proposal and that is not credible. People will drive at the speed that they consider to be reasonable under the conditions; that's why the 70 mph limit on motorways is often disregarded.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234