Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Using Mobile Broadband While on Holiday is Growing More Common

This is a discussion on Using Mobile Broadband While on Holiday is Growing More Common within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; Using Mobile Broadband While on Holiday is Growing More Common - ISPreview UK A new AeroMobile and OnePoll survey of ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Using Mobile Broadband While on Holiday is Growing More Common

Using Mobile Broadband While on Holiday is Growing More Common - ISPreview UK
      A new AeroMobile and OnePoll survey of 4,250 adults in the UK, Germany and UAE between 25th March and 7th April 2015 has shed new light on how much people use their mobile phone while abroad versus when at home, which is despite the often significantly higher roaming charges that can be incurred.

Overall the study found that 78% of tourists use their mobile phone abroad, with SMS (text messages) being the most popular service (41% used it on a daily basis at home vs 26% while on holiday) and Internet related services are also very popular.

Mind you most people will probably prefer to use hotel WiFi via their Smartphone, although the study only factored mobile data (3G / 4G) based Internet usage.

Service % of people who use this at least once a day at home % of people who use this at least once a day abroad
      Text (SMS) 41 26
      Instant Message 28 21
      Call 36 16
      Check voicemail 17 9
      Send work emails 17 10
      Send personal emails 23 13
      Surf the internet 35 19
      Update / check social media sites 29 17
      Play games 20 12
      Shopping 12 5
      Stream video/TV 14 7
      Stream music 13 7

Itís likely that these figures will rise over the coming years, not least because Europe appears to have finally agreed to a new Single Telecoms Market policy that among other things will reduce and ultimately end excess roaming charges when using your mobile around EU member states (here).

Naturally AeroMobile also has its own vested interests in the results because they provide technology that allows the safe use of a passengerís own mobile phone while on-board an aircraft. The service is available on airlines including Emirates, Etihad, Aer Lingus, Singapore Airlines, Lufthansa and Virgin Atlantic.
      Comment: With the summer holidays upon us, this article makes for interesting thought. Please remember though that not all providers currently give easy access whilst abroad and the charges can soon mount up. Internet can be especially expensive. Also services such as BBC iPlayer and Sky Go don't work outside the UK/Ireland. Last year I was unable to stream Sky Go whilst on the train in Ireland and I suspect that the same would be true for anyone using an Irish phone in the rest of the UK. This was despite my provider allowing unrestricted Internet usage in Ireland.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Using Mobile Broadband While on Holiday is Growing More Common

Perhaps not so useful if visiting Spain or other none English speaking countries but to use the above example would the RT… Player app work while on holiday in Ireland?

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

We recently found Three's "Feel at Home" feature to be very useful for catching up with email, browsing, downloading more podcasts etc. whilst visiting various major European countries at no extra cost (as it just used my allowances the same as when we're in the UK). We found that it worked very well.

To cater for the streaming restrictions when outside UK, we downloaded some content into the BBC iPlayer and Sky Go apps on our "iDevices"
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Perhaps not so useful if visiting Spain or other none English speaking countries but to use the above example would the RT… Player app work while on holiday in Ireland?
      With Sky Go I got blocked in Ireland because my phone was 'roaming'. If the RT… app has the same restrictions, then I suspect that the same problem would exist.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      We recently found Three's "Feel at Home" feature to be very useful for catching up with email, browsing, downloading more podcasts etc. whilst visiting various major European countries at no extra cost (as it just used my allowances the same as when we're in the UK). We found that it worked very well.

To cater for the streaming restrictions when outside UK, we downloaded some content into the BBC iPlayer and Sky Go apps on our "iDevices"
      I too am with Three and benefited from the FAH feature whilst in Ireland last year. I was staying in NI but did travel through Ireland and also visited Dublin for the day, so used the Satnav on my phone when we were on the road and tried to use Sky Go when visiting Dublin. Reception where we stayed was pants, so streaming content wasn't possible.

I did use my MiFi for checking emails where possible, I have an external aerial for pulling in a stronger signal. I refrained from streaming as it was on a Pay-as-you-Go SIM.

Certainly I would consider downloading some content before doing a similar trip again. Just annoying that you can't watch live content though.
      speedyrite likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms