Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Should Scotland stay in the UK

Voters
    36. This poll is closed
    • Yes - I am Scottish

3 8.33%
    • Yes - I am not Scottish

6 16.67%
    • Couldn't care less.

10 27.78%
    • No - I am Scottish

2 5.56%
    • No - I am not Scottish.

15 41.67%
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree9Likes

Say Yes/No to breaking up the UK

This is a discussion on Say Yes/No to breaking up the UK within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; Just a bit of fun to see how near we can get to the result. I consider 'Couldn't care less' ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Say Yes/No to breaking up the UK

Just a bit of fun to see how near we can get to the result. I consider 'Couldn't care less' as the status quo so it will count as a Yes.

Edited to change status quo from No to Yes.
      Last edited by Isitme; 04-09-14 at 02:19 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Say Yes/No to breaking up the UK

Just wondering if Scotland won their vote for independence, how it would effect Sky subscribers. Currently it is not possible to do a home move from the UK to the Republic of Ireland or vice versa.
      With a devolved Scotland would home moves between England and Scotland no longer be allowed?

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

If the majority want it, then good luck to them.

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Thanks

Hello Isitme
      I think dog-man is quite right if the majority of Scots want !! fine let them have it & good luck
      funny thing last night on bbc southeast news : interview with a Scotsman asked the question
      yes / no & he stated Yes !!
      But he lives & works in Kent !!!.............

Just a Thought.........

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I don't think i'd ever fully understand all of the implications for either way, even if i read every broadsheet front to back for an entire month.

So how could i vote?

Think i'll go with 'couldn't care less'.
      If the scots want it & get it then great.
      If not, i'm in essex so it won't affect my blade height.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Isn't it great.

Yet again the English don't get a chance to have their say.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland each have their own rulers, voted in by their respective countries, and the English have always had to put up with a single Parliament which has represtatives from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland voting on our laws, yet we can't vote on the laws of Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Sure Wales mostly follows English law, but they too can now tweak things a little.

In some ways I want to say "Got for it Scotland!". Shove it in the face of all those MPs who you never really voted for.

At the same time I also want to point out that whilst Cameroon and Salmond may have come to some agreements, if Scotland votes 'Yes' then surely we have every right to erect a physical border fencing, shove in some border crossing guards and allow people to claim back any VAT for goods which are exported from England to Scotland.

Perhaps at the same time we could add some export duty to pay for all this and insist that everyone carries a suitable passport.

Sure Scotland has Oil. Whether it will run out in 25, 25 or 50 years, it will run out. If the money isn't invested wisely and alternative methods of producing electric created, what will happen next?

Salmond doesn't want the Royal Navy to have their bases in Scotland. What would happen if Russia decide that Ukraine wasn't enough? Would the English, Welsh and Northern Irish be honour bound to protect Scotland, who most likely would not be paying an equal share to protect itself?

What about all those jobs lost in Faslane and Rosyth? All those jobs going from Scotland to England or Wales?

I'm sure that the people of Portsmouth will be really happy though. With no orders for Royal Navy ships being placed on foreign soil, the recently closed ship building will have to be reopened and the remains on the River Clyde close for good. I guess more jobs will go.

As for the Army, sure you have a couple of regiments. The current UK Army wouldn't fill Wembley Stadium its been reduced in size so much already, so we wouldn't have much left as we don't have much now. However the basic training is now done for all the regiments in Yorkshire. More money that Salmond will need to spend if he wants the Scottish Army to be independent.

I'm not sure how the RAF would figure in all this, but yet again everything has been integrated for the whole of the UK as it stands.

It's a nice idea. The Scottish have always resented the Houses of Parliament. I know its some 270 miles from Westminster to the Scottish border, but don't forget the Brown is a Scottish MP who will lose his job (Woohoo!) if the vote goes for yes.

I wonder how many Americans resent Washington D.C.? Most of them live more than 500 miles for the White House & The Senate.

I'm sorry if what I am posting here upsets someone, but I get the impression here that it is all coming from Salmond. Is he that power hungry?

He's been told that he can't have sterling as the currency of Scotland. He's been told that he won't get in Europe (Spain will veto that one) and he's been told that he has to share the joint UK debt, a debt that is so high it would never be repaid in the lifetime of out great(x10) grandchildren. Publicly e refuses to acknowledge these truths and say that he'll refuse to pay and stick it to Westminster.

One big worry though, which any Scottish person on holiday or living/working abroad will need to think about: UK Passport.

I guess that will be something they will need to worry about.

Does my opinion matter? Well I don't get a chance to vote so I guess not.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

There has been much talk about a federal Europe. If the vote goes against the United Kingdom perhaps we should form a federal Dis-united Kingdom modelled on Australia or The USA where each state, territory or country would have its own legislature but a federal territory could be formed with powers to govern the armed forces and other matters which effect the British Isles as a whole.

We could scrap the Pound Sterling and have the British Dollar, construct a congress building in Berwick and all be part of the commonwealth.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I have probably worded the question wrong as it requires an opposite answer to the actual poll which is 'Should Scotland become an independent country - Yes or No'. I will leave it as it is in the hope everyone understands the question.

The way things are it looks like some just can't wait to get rid of us. I hope everyone realises that if Scotland leaves the UK, the UK as such will cease to exist. I wonder what you will call what's left.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I am all for a Federal Europe, but am in the minority.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Don't misunderstand me Tom.

I've seen first hand how the MPs work and it isn't pretty.

I could never trust them and I totally dislike them.

I don't think that Salmond is any different.
      dog-man likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast