Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Like Tree22Likes

New iPhone 5

This is a discussion on New iPhone 5 within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; Originally Posted by Isitme I think this suggests that this is another Apple fanboy having a dig at anything non-Apple- ...

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New iPhone 5

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think this suggests that this is another Apple fanboy having a dig at anything non-Apple-

Maybe to divert attention away from the complete mess they have made of Apple Maps.
      Question. Have you actually used the new maps on any Apple device, yes or no?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Question. Have you actually used the new maps on any Apple device, yes or no?
      I have not got lost using them if that is what you mean, but I have had a very good look at them on my iPad.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Here is one from my own iPad - I hope the Big Apple residents know that one of their bridges is now a ski jump
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New iPhone 5-bridge1.jpg  

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

update...
      BBC News - Apple apologises for Maps switch 'frustration'
      I like this bit...
      "While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app," he added.
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Having tried out Apple Maps some more... it really is awful

Oh sure, streets and roads are fine, and it has turn-by-turn, etc. etc., but... So many points of interest (POIs) are completely wrong. Some are in the wrong place, some ceased to exist years ago, and some are not listed at all and so do not even show up in a search No use having turn-by-turn or a search function if it doesn't find the location you want, or it does find it but takes you to the wrong place.

I've tried it out for a few locations here in Cambridge. I've used it to check out areas I'm particularly familiar with, pubs, my walk to work, and so on.

Just on my walk to work there are several errors: Pubs are on the wrong side of the road, McDonald's is on the wrong side of a roundabout, a B&B is on the wrong block completely, an Indian restaurant that closed down five years ago is still shown, a branch of MFI that ceased to exist when MFI went into administration in 2008 is still shown...

I was out on Thursday night at a popular local pub that has been around for years in the same location: Google Maps has it in the correct location, while Apple Maps has it at the other end of the road and round a corner, while a different pub is shown in its place instead of on the opposite side of the road as it is in reality.

Mrs D and I went to London yesterday for my birthday. She took me to see the stage version of War Horse (which is excellent btw).

War Horse was at the New London Theatre in Drury Lane, not far from Covent Garden. The theatre opened in 1973, and according to Wikipedia is well known for Cats, which premiered there in 1981 and ran for 21 years. It's not some random little back-alley theatre that no one has heard of.

While in Covent Garden, I tested both Apple Maps and (via the web app) Google Maps.

I searched for "New London Theatre", and Apple Maps gave me a theatre in New London, Connecticut, USA.

I tried again, with "The New London Theatre". Apple Maps found nothing. I tried again with "New London Theatre London", and it gave me a location in New London, New Hampshire, USA. I tried "New London Theatre Drury Lane", and it gave me Drury Ln, New London, New Hampshire, USA. I tried "New London Theatre England", "New London Theatre UK"... all returned no results.

Mrs D suggested I try some other well-known theatres in the West End's "Theatreland".

"Savoy Theatre" gave me a theatre in Savoy, Illinois, USA.

"Queen's Theatre" gave me Shaftesbury Avenue, Harrow instead of Shaftesbury Avenue, London.

"Novello Theatre" gave me no results.

"Lyceum Theatre" gave me no results.

And what did Google Maps find? It found every location first time, without problem, and without even needing to refine the search by adding "London" or "England" to the end (not that that helped with Apple Maps!).

Another test: Public transport.

The old Map app, which Mrs D still has on her iPhone 4S as she refuses to update to iOS6, would also handle directions via public transport as well as car or foot. She uses it regularly when she goes to London to see musicals (hence refusing to update to iOS6). Stick in a start point and an end point and it will tell you how to get there by public transport, with detailed information regarding e.g. where to walk to get the bus, which number and destination bus to get, what time the bus is and how long it will take... [This also still works via the Google Maps web app]

Apple Maps on iOS6? Ask it for a public transport route, and... it takes you to the App Store, to the section for transport apps. Useless

Poppet25 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Thanks

Someone left an iPhone 5 with one of the drivers (taxi) because they didn't have the money to pay the fare last week and the driver brought it into the office, (the lad had queued for 18 hours to get it). I had a look and TBH I wasn't impressed one bit.

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Ace and I'm not over keen on it either. It is good for tethering it to my lappy for Internet at work though.

As someone else has said you need big pockets or a handbag for an S111.

I think a Smartphone is a jack of all trades device and master of none...

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but a phone is a phone, laptop is a laptop etc etc. Best phone ever was a Nokia 6210...

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Is this like the 3G on the iPad which no-one in the UK could use, and where Apple were forced to redefine the wording on the box ?

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old_nick View Post
      Is this like the 3G on the iPad which no-one in the UK could use, and where Apple were forced to redefine the wording on the box ?
      4G, not 3G.

The "Cellular" version of the iPad 3 supports 3G, HSPA, HSPA+, and DC-HSDPA in the UK. It also works with 4G LTE (700MHz, 2100MHz), but only in the US and Canada. Apple got into trouble here and in Australia because of not being clear enough regarding the lack of 4G support elsewhere.

The situation with the iPhone 5 is not the same, though.

Apple has been clear from the very beginning that you can only use 4G LTE on the iPhone 5 in the UK if you are with EE (not yet launched, but soon). Open and upfront at the launch and on the website etc. right at the start. The media has also run stories on it (including the BBC etc. as well as the tech press). As for why only EE... It will be the only 4G LTE network in the UK until the 4G auction finally takes place next year and the other networks finally start their own 4G LTE services. And when they do, the iPhone 5 won't be able to use their 4G LTE anyway as the UK's 4G auction is unfortunately for different bands (EE will work as it uses a different band that the iPhone 5 supports, re-farmed by EE for 4G LTE).

We could potentially have actually had 4G LTE in the UK years ago if certain networks hadn't tried to delay the auction by taking Ofcom to court...

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

People also keep saying the iPhone 5 is not a true LTE handset, that's complete and utter rubbish, it's just that it wont work on O2's and Vodafone's proposed LTE networks.

Their proposed bands are 800 MHz and 2600 MHz - quite frankly the 2600 MHz band will be a disaster as it wont work very well indoors (even less so than 2100 MHz 3G) and many more masts will be required to provide coverage as the higher the wavelength, the shorter distance the signal will travel.

T-Mobile and Orange are now both selling a range of 4G ready handsets ready for the EE4G launch on Oct 30th, but as with the 3G launch, you will need a new handset and SIM card to be able to use 4G. I know a few people have been incorrectly told that their existing 3G handsets will be able to work on 4G with software upgrades - this is simply not the case.

You will also have to switch to a Pay Monthly EE4G tariff (not a T-Mobile or Orange tariff and EE4G will not be offering PAYG initially), have a 4G ready handset and will need a 4G SIM card to be able to use 4G from Oct 30th. You can still switch to EE4G if you are not in a 4G launch city as their network will still drop back to 3G and 2G where 4G is not available.

There are also rumours circulating that Apple could well refresh their iPad to include EE4G UK 4G connectivity shortly.
      Last edited by James_Mitchell; 13-10-12 at 11:25 AM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011