Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Results 21 to 30 of 83
    Like Tree2Likes

    Clarkson puts his foot in it!

    This is a discussion on Clarkson puts his foot in it! within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; oh dear wouldnt want to hurt those poor pensions tuff everyone is going to suffer with cuts so there....

    1. #21
      deadman1984's Avatar
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: vodafone supafast 2
      Router: vodafone isp router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      Location
      newcastle upon tyne uk
      Posts
      3,235
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts

      Re: Clarkson puts his foot in it!

      oh dear wouldnt want to hurt those poor pensions tuff everyone is going to suffer with cuts so there.


    2. Advertisement
    3. #22
      dholdi's Avatar
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Preston
      Posts
      5,295
      Thanks
      34
      Thanked 47 Times in 45 Posts

      Re: Clarkson puts his foot in it!

      Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      oh dear wouldnt want to hurt those poor pensions tuff everyone is going to suffer with cuts so there.
      Another stupid post, but can we expect anything else.
      Not everyone is going to suffer tho, your benefits will get increased in line with inflation.


    4. #23
      deadman1984's Avatar
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: vodafone supafast 2
      Router: vodafone isp router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      Location
      newcastle upon tyne uk
      Posts
      3,235
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts

      Re: Clarkson puts his foot in it!

      hum well least thats something i supose lol.

    5. #24
      Alan b's Avatar
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      4,202
      Thanks
      18
      Thanked 57 Times in 53 Posts

      Re: Clarkson puts his foot in it!

      Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      21k complaints is probably people who have been told about it in the pub, not by those who actually watched it.
      Its a good job that those 21K people who have companied don't watch Top Gear but as this was the BBC is anyone really surprised by the outrage ?

    6. #25
      reddwarfcrew's Avatar
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      6,088
      Thanks
      32
      Thanked 93 Times in 86 Posts
      Just watching QI tonite and a question was about interview answers. Fry said of one of the responses that if someone said that to him he would get a rusty knife and thrust it it and out of them till they died...... Watch out for the headlines on the front pages tomorrow and the tens of thousands of complaints as what he said is no different to Clarkson.

      Oh yep, that's right we won't hear a single thing about it.

    7. #26
      steelysteph's Avatar
      steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Posts
      400
      Thanks
      27
      Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts

      Re: Clarkson puts his foot in it!

      Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      oh dear wouldnt want to hurt those poor pensions tuff everyone is going to suffer with cuts so there.
      Thirty years ago I signed a contract, along with my employer and my County Council (my pension provider).
      • The contract included a clause that stated that I would pay a percentage of my salary towards a pension, my employer agreed to this as did the County Council.
      • The contract stated the amount that my pension would pay when I retire on the agreed date.


      Now my employer wants to rip up that contract and make me pay more, for longer, and get less in return. What if I decided that I didn't like something in the contract, would I have the right to tear it up and insist that my employer accepts the terms that I want? - I think not.

    8. #27
      reddwarfcrew's Avatar
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      6,088
      Thanks
      32
      Thanked 93 Times in 86 Posts
      Hmmm not quite the point. If you don't like the new terms you can hand In your notice. Equally if the company didn't like your terms they would serve you notice. The argument doesn't quite hang together.

      I've had the same done to me in the private sector. My contract was for a non contributory final salary scheme. I now pay 6% and have been put onto a money purchase scheme with a significantly higher retirement age. If I don't like it I can exercise my right to leave.

      All good things come to an end unfortunately.

    9. #28
      dholdi's Avatar
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Preston
      Posts
      5,295
      Thanks
      34
      Thanked 47 Times in 45 Posts

      Re: Clarkson puts his foot in it!

      Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      I've had the same done to me in the private sector. My contract was for a non contributory final salary scheme. I now pay 6% and have been put onto a money purchase scheme with a significantly higher retirement age. If I don't like it I can exercise my right to leave.
      Does your 6% go to your pension fund or is it used to reduce the defecit ?

      I have no issue with paying more or working longer, the current climate and people living longer makes this a necessity.

      However, what I do have an issue with is paying more for longer and ending up with less because the money I "invest" hasnt been invested but used for someones elses better broadband, road and rail links, and bailing out bankers who messed up yet still get paid huge bonuses.

      The Tories and all those that see the public sector as an easy target (i.e. many in the private sector) use the argument that the pension benefits are no where like the real world (i.e. private sector) and want to pull them back in line. The truth is though the private sector pension schemes have been reigned in, but to new entrants only. This is the difference, those that signed up for the deal should be entitled to have it and the taking away of entitlement is basically moving the goal posts and wholly unfair.

      Cut's are necessary we all know but you cannot withdraw the food from the table after it has been served.

      Aim some of these cuts at the older generation who have better tax breaks (higher tax allowances than you and I) - ball park 10k pa before tax is due (2500 more than the working population). I should add the caveat here that this age allowance is withdrawn on a sliding scale as income exceeds 23k+ iirc.

      Also remove the winter fuel allowance which is costing the tax payer billions and paid indiscriminately to all and sundry - Paul Mccartney, Richard Branson to name but a few. Oh but its difficult to manage and pick out the high earners, well they seemed capable enough to withdrawn the child allowance from anyone who is a HR tax payer.

      Quite simply it is politics and the Tories won't as it will enrage their voting populous who will also get a five percent payrise in March on their state pension. Times are hard reign it in there, I'm sure the pensioners will understand. As if. As Nick Robinson said last week, the Tories will allow student fees to triple and deal with riots in the capital but at the end of the day they are more scared of their grandmothers.

      Thanks to HoS @ SEATCupra.net - Your #1 source for SEAT information - Home for some of this as I couldnt have put it better myself.

      Oh yes, and lets not forget that benefit payments have been raised in line with inflation, whilst public sector wages have been static for the past 2 years and will only be 1% per year in the future, well less than the current rate.
      Last edited by dholdi; 04-12-11 at 02:14 AM.


    10. #29
      reddwarfcrew's Avatar
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      6,088
      Thanks
      32
      Thanked 93 Times in 86 Posts

      Re: Clarkson puts his foot in it!

      Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Does your 6% go to your pension fund or is it used to reduce the defecit ?
      Irrelevant, the money that my company used to pay is now being used to bail my company out. You can account for the money how you like but the same argument still stands that times are hard and what was promised in the past cant be delivered in the future

      Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      However, what I do have an issue with is paying more for longer and ending up with less because the money I "invest" hasnt been invested but used for someones elses better broadband, road and rail links, and bailing out bankers who messed up yet still get paid huge bonuses.
      With a career average scheme or final salary scheme it all boils down to how the money is invested. Your pension 'fund' could actually be more than you get from a final salary or career average, or a lot less. With FS and CA you are lockinging your accrued pension. If the government invest well then they will use the excess to fund the pension when times are hard.

      Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      The Tories and all those that see the public sector as an easy target (i.e. many in the private sector) use the argument that the pension benefits are no where like the real world (i.e. private sector) and want to pull them back in line. The truth is though the private sector pension schemes have been reigned in, but to new entrants only. This is the difference, those that signed up for the deal should be entitled to have it and the taking away of entitlement is basically moving the goal posts and wholly unfair.
      Rubbish, sorry mate but I have worked at the same place for 20 years in July next year (well assuming i make it as my office is being closed). I have lost my final salary pension scheme and been moved to a money purchase. I have to pay a hell of a lot more a month more into my pension scheme since they changed it, and I have to work 5 years longer. So I'm afraid it's not just new entrants but long standing members in the private sector who are suffering..... and I work for a pensions provider!!!

      I signed up contractually to a free final salary 40/60ths scheme with retirement at 60 and that's been taken away from me. The public and private sector are being treated the same.... the public sector just choose to turn a blind eye to that fact.

      I also had to increase my working hours last year for no extra pay as a way to reduce costs due to the climate.

      I dont know why the public sector feel so hard done to. Both the public and provate sector are feeling the same pain.

      Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Cut's are necessary we all know but you cannot withdraw the food from the table after it has been served.

      Aim some of these cuts at the older generation who have better tax breaks (higher tax allowances than you and I) - ball park 10k pa before tax is due (2500 more than the working population). I should add the caveat here that this age allowance is withdrawn on a sliding scale as income exceeds 23k+ iirc.

      Also remove the winter fuel allowance which is costing the tax payer billions and paid indiscriminately to all and sundry - Paul Mccartney, Richard Branson to name but a few. Oh but its difficult to manage and pick out the high earners, well they seemed capable enough to withdrawn the child allowance from anyone who is a HR tax payer.

      Quite simply it is politics and the Tories won't as it will enrage their voting populous who will also get a five percent payrise in March on their state pension. Times are hard reign it in there, I'm sure the pensioners will understand. As if. As Nick Robinson said last week, the Tories will allow student fees to triple and deal with riots in the capital but at the end of the day they are more scared of their grandmothers.

      Thanks to HoS @ SEATCupra.net - Your #1 source for SEAT information - Home for some of this as I couldnt have put it better myself.

      Oh yes, and lets not forget that benefit payments have been raised in line with inflation, whilst public sector wages have been static for the past 2 years and will only be 1% per year in the future, well less than the current rate.
      No real comment on that as it's a different argument to the pensions and it won't solve the pension problems and broken promises in the private sector.

      All I would say is lets not forget which government got us into this mess and they also would make cuts..... they just haven't got the balls (okay they have Ed) to actually lay out what they would do.

      Anyhow, politics is a dangerous thing for forums.

      My main issue is that the private sector is facing the same pain as the public and we need to remember that, so lets treat all workers the same.

    11. #30
      Chug a Bug's Avatar
      Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Location
      south coast
      Posts
      369
      Thanks
      4
      Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

      Re: Clarkson puts his foot in it!

      I'm not going to say anything much I've already had a fair few insults thrown my way on another forum for even mentioning it but I thought his comments about suicide were... misjudged, but as for the strikers, well I thought they were fair game.

      Naturally there are now calls for negative comments about public sector workers to be banned, etc. So much for free speech.

      But as I always say, politics are the quickest way to start a row on internet forums. People seem incapable of talking about it without hurling insults at each other.

      Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Just watching QI tonite and a question was about interview answers. Fry said of one of the responses that if someone said that to him he would get a rusty knife and thrust it it and out of them till they died...... Watch out for the headlines on the front pages tomorrow and the tens of thousands of complaints as what he said is no different to Clarkson.

      Oh yep, that's right we won't hear a single thing about it.
      Ken Livingstone said "Honestly, we should shoot one banker a week until the others improve". The outrage is deafening by it's silence.
      Last edited by Chug a Bug; 04-12-11 at 11:57 PM.

     

     
    Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION