Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Should women be allowed to play with technical things?

Voters
    29. This poll is closed
    • Yes

16 55.17%
    • No

3 10.34%
    • Yes, as long as my dinner is cooked & the ironing is done

7 24.14%
    • Not when I'm watching the sport at home

0 0%
    • Yes, when he's not around

0 0%
    • No, he only blames me for breaking it

0 0%
    • Can't answer (wife/girlfriend looks fierce)

3 10.34%
    • Undecided

0 0%
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Women and Technology

This is a discussion on Women and Technology within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; Why is it that so often people assume that it is only men who know anything about things that require ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Women and Technology

Why is it that so often people assume that it is only men who know anything about things that require a degree in technology?

I realise that it is often harmless comments and even more often that people do not realise what they are saying, but why do people automatically assume that anyone who knows something about computers or Hi-Fi equipment or a Television is automatically a man?

Don't women know anything?

Sure there are many of us who would rather concern ourselves with other issues, such as 'where are the kids?' or 'those trousers look as if they've never been ironed' and leave the testosterone driven men to jump in quickly to fix it all. After all it does you men folk some good to feel as if you have achieved something.

The Equal Opportunities Commission had a campaign no so long ago with various posters. A winning catch-phrase used was "Prepare your daughter for working life - give her less pocket money than your son." It struck a nerve with a lot of people at the time.

Today we are starting to see a lot of people being pressured into a stereotyped lifestyle as a bad thing.

Yesterday David Cameron got picked up on saying "Calm down dear" to a female MP. This appears to actually be a common turn of phrase within Parliament. Even so, he's being picked on for passing the comment by a raft of people.

As a woman people often refer to me as 'dear'. I don't think men get this from anyone other than a parent or partner.

Us women are around. We do all sorts of things.

A friend I have is a highly trained mechanic. Whenever she takes her car to be fixed, which is rare as she does most of it herself, or when she looks to purchase a new car, the mechanics and salesmen treat her as though she knows nothing about cars. If only they knew how stupid it made them look.

Perhaps the men should be scared? Women can scare men after all. Seriously! Women can scare men! Have you ever heard of Mary Shelley? She wrote some really scary books.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Women and Technology-eoc-prepare-work.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Steev is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01270
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Women and Technology

My very short and simple answer to the poll question ....................... YES

Steve

emmikins is offline Guest
      Exchange: 01484
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Well Said Scubbie
      you go girl us women can do stuff them blokes can do plus can have babies as well !!

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Well said. Although to be honest, I hadn't considered whether you were male or female. Your avatar just shows a person with long hair and sunglasses ... so that could be a woman, or a "rock" dude with long hair. It's not in enough detail to pick out male or female facial qualities.

(apologies if I'm digging a hole!)

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

A friend I have is a highly trained mechanic. Whenever she takes her car to be fixed, which is rare as she does most of it herself, or when she looks to purchase a new car, the mechanics and salesmen treat her as though she knows nothing about cars. If only they knew how stupid it made them look.
      She should play the "dumb blonde" and see how much they try to fleece her, and then kick up a stink.

I have a female friend who is a highly trained electrician. She frequently shows the men up!
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwern View Post
      Well said. Although to be honest, I hadn't considered whether you were male or female. Your avatar just shows a person with long hair and sunglasses ... so that could be a woman, or a "rock" dude with long hair. It's not in enough detail to pick out male or female facial qualities.
      I know the photo doesn't particularly show everything, I didn't want to bring certain connotations to this forum. I may change it at a later date, but it won't be too revealing (sorry guys! ).

(apologies if I'm digging a hole!)
      [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003D0BJY0/ref=asc_df_B003D0BJY02714858?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&t ag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B003D0 BJY0]Draper 19174 Multi-Purpose Polyurethene Shovel: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools[/ame]

She should play the "dumb blonde" and see how much they try to fleece her, and then kick up a stink.

I have a female friend who is a highly trained electrician. She frequently shows the men up!
      She does play the 'dumb blonde' once they get started and making things up.

I've also relished taking the mickey out of German 3-Star SCUBA Diving Instructors in the past - they really ought to learn their subject better than the average British Instructor when it comes to diving.

I always has amazed me at how many people still consider that women know nothing about anything technical. At the same time though, many women do like to leave technical stuff to the men for many reasons, one being that they don't want to fight all the time.

Admittedly my knowledge isn't as current as it used to be, due to personal circumstances and changes in occupation, but I also have plenty of other skills.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Women can scare men after all. Seriously! Women can scare men!
      Only if it starts to rain and the make·up come off.

Btw I voted yes. Women are GoOoD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      Only if it starts to rain and the make·up come off.

Btw I voted yes. Women are GoOoD.
      lol - hmmm.....

I thought that you might have voted 'Yes, as long as my dinner is cooked & the ironing is done'.

I did toy with the idea of not allowing the vote to be anonymous, but too many would never have voted if they had their user names showing beside their vote.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

I did toy with the idea of not allowing the vote to be anonymous, but too many would never have voted if they had their user names showing beside their vote.
      I am sure a PM to the one of the admins can take care of this when the voting closes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      I am sure a PM to the one of the admins can take care of this when the voting closes.
      Some say that I have an evil streak inside me, but I'm not that evil, am I?

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

And a massive yes from me as well Scubbie lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast