Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fox Boss on ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Revival: ‘It’s Something We Talk About Frequently’

This is a discussion on Fox Boss on ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Revival: ‘It’s Something We Talk About Frequently’ within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; Fox Boss on ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Revival – Variety JERUSALEM — With reboots and revivals dominating the television landscape, ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Fox Boss on ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Revival: ‘It’s Something We Talk About Frequently’

Fox Boss on ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Revival – Variety

JERUSALEM — With reboots and revivals dominating the television landscape, it’s only natural that studios are scouring their archives for the titles worth dusting off. So it comes as little surprise that Fox has looked at bringing back cult favorite “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.”

“I think if you look in our library, ‘Buffy’ is probably the most ripe show we have for bringing back,” said Fox TV group chair Gary Newman at the INTV Conference in Jerusalem. But he acknowledged that he “wouldn’t get out of the building alive” if he actually announced it.

“It’s something we talk about frequently, and Joss Whedon is really one of the greatest creators we ever worked with,” he said. “When Joss decides it’s time, we’ll do it. And until Joss decides it’s time, it won’t happen.”

Despite the network’s recent revivals of “The X-Files,” “24” and “Prison Break” — along with the pilot “Greatest American Hero,” in development for ABC — Newman said that such efforts “aren’t actually a focus” for the studio.

“Most times when we brought things back, it started with the creator coming into us and saying I’ve got another story I want to tell,” he said. “It seems to me that if there isn’t a real sense of nostalgia, a passionate fan base demonstrating they still want it then I don’t really buy bringing these shows back.”

Newman acknowledged, though, that revivals do have a built-in advantage when it comes to breaking through a noisy landscape. “I think more than anything it’s a marketing opportunity,” he said. “People are aware of the show, you don’t have to build awareness. If the show’s beloved, you get a great deal of intent to view right from the get go.”

But it has to be done with a legitimate sense of purpose. “Greatest American Hero,” he said, is being cast with a young Indian-American woman in the lead role. “If you do it cynically, if you don’t have a great creative reason to do it, I don’t think it’s going to work.”

2. Advertisement
      James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Re: Fox Boss on ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Revival: ‘It’s Something We Talk About Frequently’

It was bad enough the first time round....please not again

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: Fox Boss on ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Revival: ‘It’s Something We Talk About Frequently’

This started off well and really enjoyed it, but as it went through the series it got very samey and dull and became a switch off.
      Not sure any reboot would be on my viewing list, right for the time, not now.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      It was bad enough the first time round....please not again
      Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      This started off well and really enjoyed it, but as it went through the series it got very samey and dull and became a switch off.
      Not sure any reboot would be on my viewing list, right for the time, not now.
      Buffy the Vampire Slayer series was hugely popular amongst some people. Obviously not enough which is why the cut it. After 7 seasons, the series finale did end with a big bang, leaving a large hole where Sunnydale and the Hellmouth were once located.

After it was taken off air a series of comics were produced that picked up the story.

With actors such as Sarah Michelle Gellar, Alyson Hannigan and David Boreanaz, there was also a great sex appeal for many people. The fact that there were several leading women in the series was also something that even today isn't that common.

Many of the actors have gone on to play major roles since. David Boreanaz, for example, will be playing the lead roll in the new series 'SEAL Team' that is coming to Sky 1 on Thursday 22nd March.

For me, I'd not like them to restart from the early days. I'd prefer them to either pick up from season 8 with the comics, although that would be difficult as Buffy figures heavily in those and Sarah Michelle Gellar has grown older since then. Alternatively, they could pick up the theme from the comics and bring in either new characters who are not in the comics or use some of the new ones who re in the comics as well as other new characters.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms