Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

The end of FM radio

This is a discussion on The end of FM radio within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; 'Golden age' of digital could see FM radio scrapped | Daily Mail Online The end of FM radio: 'New golden ...

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

The end of FM radio

'Golden age' of digital could see FM radio scrapped | Daily Mail Online
      The end of FM radio: 'New golden age' of digital broadcasting could see the traditional signal scrapped this year

• 48 million adults listen to more than 1 billion hours of radio in the UK each week
      • Rather than buying traditional radio to tune to FM, people are moving to digital
      • Now, analysts predict digital listeners will become the majority within a year
      • Fovernment to undertake a review which could result in FM being switched off

For decades the demise of radio has been a hot topic, with songs such as ‘Radio Gaga’ and ‘Video Killed The Radio Star’ predicting a decline in listeners.

But 80s pop songs may have been wrong – as it appears we are entering a ‘new golden’ age of radio which is seeing more people access their favourite stations online.

However, surge in digital listeners could trigger the end of FM listening as early as this year.

Radio use in the UK is now at record levels, with 48 million adults listening to more than 1 billion hours each week, according to industry monitor Rajar.

However rather than buying a traditional radio to tune to FM, there has been a huge shift in the number of people accessing live streams through their tablets and smartphones.

The change is happening so quickly that some analysts predict digital listeners will become the majority within a year – and it could spell the end of FM.

Once this is reached, the government will undertake a review which could result in the FM being switched off.

Norway became the first country in the world to end FM radio when it cut the signal in January this year.

‘Even five years ago this situation was unthinkable,’ said Ford Ennals, chief executive of Digital Radio UK, the company overseeing the nationwide digital switchover.

‘People predicted radio would fall away – it’s extraordinary when you think about the fragmentation of the media’, he told the Financial Times.

During the last three months of 2016 170 new local and national digital stations were launched, bringing the total number in the UK to 339.

Despite its current success, digital radio will have to adapt to shifting listening habits as younger listeners replace older ones.

Data suggests that just over half of people between the ages of 15 and 24 listen to live radio, compared with 88 per cent of people over the age of 55.

BBC Radio 1, which is principally focused at a younger audience, lost 1 million listeners last year.

Bob Shennen, director of Radio at the BBC, said: ‘Young people are just not listening for as long’, but added the medium was ‘very good at reaffirming its core values’.

The BBC currently enjoys a dominant share of the total listening hours in the UK, account for 53 per cent, with Radio 2 alone accounting for 17 per cent.

A NEW GOLDEN AGE OF RADIO

Radio use in the UK is now at record levels, with 48 million adults listening to more than 1 billion hours each week, according to industry monitor Rajar.
      However rather than buying a traditional radio to tune to FM, there has been a huge shift in the number of people accessing live streams through their tablets and smartphones.

The change is happening so quickly that some analysts predict digital listeners will become the majority within a year – and it could spell the end of FM.

2. Advertisement
      James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Re: The end of FM radio

Improve digital radio where I live and I'd gladly switch to it. It's utterly hopeless here in East Lancashire. The checker still says I can only get the BBC channels and no much else but even that is over-optimistic as it barely works indoors.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

It's great when it works, at home I can get stations from all over the south-east region, plus the nationals. The car gets them too, until I drive 300m up the road then naff all!
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      Improve digital radio where I live and I'd gladly switch to it. It's utterly hopeless here in East Lancashire. The checker still says I can only get the BBC channels and no much else but even that is over-optimistic as it barely works indoors.
      Digital radio isn't only DAB. While this may be the only format suitable for in car reception, there is also internet radio, FreeSat/Sky radio and radio channels available on FreeView.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I like FM radio. I use the FM Radio App on my smartphone so would be sorry to see it go.
      There are no smartphones with DAB of any variant, AFAIK.

Streaming is too patchy when on a moving vehicle. I have been using Iplayer Radio App more, recently, to download the programmes I want to listen to...from Radio 4 if anyone cares.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + pfSense 2.4 N3150 unit + asus ac68 as WAP
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

live sport broadcasts are still fm radio only

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Nope, 5 live extra for one. Test Cricket is usually on there and if the BBC have broadcasting rights, football matches too.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Do not care if its on FM, MW or whatever as all listening, which is mostly sport or The Two Mikes on Talksport, Talksport 2 and RLM (Radio Le Mans, throughout the year live motorsport coverage and commentary) is all on a tablet and phone via something like the tunein or talksport app.

DAB is just hopeless down here and we ditched the DAB radios we had many years ago, they were just hopeless. The FM tuner worked well on them though.
      As for music that is all better served from Spotify, youtube and Google play these days.
      Travelling is all listening to audiobooks for me on tablet/phones or in car. No radio makes an appearance.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

I've heard complaints about weak signals previously with DAB. I was hoping that by now someone would have turned the signal strength up. However this was also the same situation that DVB had until the analogue signals were turned off. So maybe, just maybe, it will remain the case for now.

One issue I would have is that currently I only have analogue radio receivers at home. I don't do a lot of radio listening and can't justify the expense of buying something that'll only be used periodically.

Mobiles, now that's a problem. Sure that can stream content over the Internet, but there lies a problem. It forces everyone to get a decent data package if they want to listen to the radio. The mobiles have the tech to listen to FM transmissions, but the apps are supplied in phones any more. I've searched the android Play Store before now and found nothing was available. They really don't want you to tune into FM analogue of DAB.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I've heard complaints about weak signals previously with DAB. I was hoping that by now someone would have turned the signal strength up. However this was also the same situation that DVB had until the analogue signals were turned off. So maybe, just maybe, it will remain the case for now.

One issue I would have is that currently I only have analogue radio receivers at home. I don't do a lot of radio listening and can't justify the expense of buying something that'll only be used periodically.

Mobiles, now that's a problem. Sure that can stream content over the Internet, but there lies a problem. It forces everyone to get a decent data package if they want to listen to the radio. The mobiles have the tech to listen to FM transmissions, but the apps are supplied in phones any more. I've searched the android Play Store before now and found nothing was available. They really don't want you to tune into FM analogue of DAB.
      Tunein or the radioplayer app has every radio station you would ever want want, UK and worldwide. been listening to talksport through the radioplayer app on my smartphone and tablet this morning since 7-30am in the garden and house.
      The bbc iplayer radio app and website streams all their stations, not that I listen to any BBC.
      You can also just listen through any radio station web page.
      Radio audio data is very small indeed and even on 4g takes up very little data, if you listened for say 1 hour a day it would be about 50mb. But then if its over wifi its costing you nothing in data.
      You can also record radio nicely (no manual) on sky q and play it back as a recording on the sky q app at home or away from home. I often record The Two Mikes when they broadcast in the early hours like that and play them away from home.
      Also, a lot of the radio shows on radio station websites like talksport are available as podcasts to play listen again via their websites and/or download.