Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree5Likes

Government could ban BBC from showing top shows at peak times

This is a discussion on Government could ban BBC from showing top shows at peak times within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; I think the trend towards recording programs to watch at your leisure has largely defeated so called 'prime time' viewing. ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Government could ban BBC from showing top shows at peak times

I think the trend towards recording programs to watch at your leisure has largely defeated so called 'prime time' viewing. Sitting down with the family to watch TV at 7-8pm has very much died. The only thing 'prime time' does is produce 'viewer ratings' which are pretty meaningless.
      speedyrite likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,206 Times in 2,075 Posts

The simple truth is that whether it's a family group or individuals, most people tend to be watching the TV between 6pm and 10.30pm during the week days.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Could not care less if the BBC goes into a meltdown or not, its had it time and times have changed too. Its had its gravy train run and that should now end.

As for the BBC and appearing in any kind of election mainfesto, has no bearing whatsoever for me and have seen nothing about the BBC in anything at any election time and to be honest if there were it would not really jump out or make any impact on my vote.
      Well maybe a pledge to scrap its current state and make it much more commercial.

As for prime time clashes (sounds more like the daily mail and guardian anti-bbc agenda exaggeration), cant say we ever watch anything prime time at weekends on BBC, that I can recall. We certainly never watched or listened to anything on the BBC over this weekend.
      Our BBC viewing has declined dramatically over the last few years;
      During the week it gets down to Pointless, Eggheads, Uni challenge, Connect and Beechgrove. I will give the beeb their due, their quiz shows are good and we do not watch any quiz shows on any other channels.
      Sometimes the odd drama, not that I can recall one recently that we have watched.
      Used to watch Eastenders regularly, but this year its turned for the worse with poor plots and characters and we have now ditched it.
      Only other prog I would watch is Doctor Who, but as I recall mentioning on here before, the last few series with Peter Capaldi have been poor.
      Of course, it would be the Olympics, Wimbledon and international football, only because that is the only channels its on.
      Not watched BBC News for a long time, its sky, bloomberg, cnn, fox and a few of the other foreign news channels. Sky in my view do much better news event coverage, like royal pagentry and elections.
      Do not listen to any BBC radio, Talksport does a great job for us, mostly sport, but shows like 'The Two Mikes' are just superb.
      From The Guardian recently http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...harter-renewal:
      "Recently a private experiment with people who claim never to use the BBC took away BBC channels from all their devices. After nine days all begged to get the BBC back: they and their children missed BBC programmes they had wrongly thought were on commercial channels. Despite previous resistance to the licence fee, they thought the price of one Subway sandwich per week was well worth all they had missed."

A report on the story here: 'Pointless' PR stunt by the BBC to prove its importance | Daily Mail Online
      Not that recently, TBH.

The sensationalism of the story is kinda killed by recent developments from Whittingdale. Also from the Guardian article it implies ALL wanted to keep the BBC unchanged but the Mail article says it was two-thirds.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It is not just the BBC broadcast channels that would disappear. I suspect that a huge number of "independent" programs would as well since many are sponsored by public (BBC) money.
      Certainly the quality of programs would fall dramatically; really dramatically!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12