Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Disney to launch UK film and TV streaming service for £9.99 a month

This is a discussion on Disney to launch UK film and TV streaming service for £9.99 a month within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; Disney to launch UK film and TV streaming service for £9.99 a month | Media | The Guardian DisneyLife, to ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,204 Times in 2,074 Posts

Disney to launch UK film and TV streaming service for £9.99 a month

Disney to launch UK film and TV streaming service for £9.99 a month | Media | The Guardian
      DisneyLife, to launch in November, offers music and books as well as movies including Frozen, the Toy Story franchise and classics such as Snow White

Disney is to take on Netflix and Amazon Prime with a UK streaming service that will make its films, TV shows, books and music content available for £9.99 a month.

The new service, DisneyLife, will launch next month as an app for Apple iOS or Android mobile and tablet devices.

Disney says that the new streaming service, which will be rolled out to other European markets, will give access to thousands of Disney Channel kid’s TV episodes, hundreds of albums, books and movies, including the complete Pixar catalogue, which includes Frozen, the Toy Story franchise, The Lion King and classics such as Snow White and The Jungle Book.

“DisneyLife is a great example of our strategy to utilise technology to connect with consumers in more direct and compelling ways,” said Bob Iger, chairman and chief executive of The Walt Disney Company. “Families are accessing entertainment in completely new ways but their love for Disney and our unique characters and stories remains the same.”

Subscribers to DisneyLife will also be able to temporarily download some content to watch offline, although it has to be downloaded on an UK internet connection or a download on the app while in the UK, so the content can be watched while travelling.

The service will make content available to watch or read in five different languages - English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.

“DisneyLife will put those memorable scenes, songs and stories at your fingertips, and provide families with a new, convenient way to enjoy the magic of Disney at home or on the move,” said Andy Bird, chairman of Walt Disney International.

The service allows each membership up to six people to have individual profiles, represented by Disney characters such as Nemo, Woody, Mickey and Snow White, while parents will have the ability to set time limits for children’s viewing on their profiles.

Earlier this week YouTube announced the launch a $9.99 a month subscription service covering video, music and gaming.

YouTube Red, will allow customers to access YouTube videos, the company’s gaming app and a new music app without commercials.

It also includes exclusive series and movies from YouTube stars such as PewDiePie. The service launches in the US next week.

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER or is it?
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Disney to launch UK film and TV streaming service for £9.99 a month

So now how many separate services is it to guarantee to be able to watch a program?

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

I dont know the answer to that. What I do know is that unless I get a very large pay rise and/or win the lottery I will not able to afford to watch all of the services. Then again there is not enough hours in the day to watch what I do pay for.

I feel quite sorry for parents whose children see all of these services and want them NOW!
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

I feel at the moment they are all jumping on the bandwagon.
      But soon enough they are going to start having to share or combine the services as the average user is no way going to be paying for 5+ services at £9.99 a month on top of their current TV subscriptions.
      From what we have seen recently, traditional tv subscriptions have so far not been affected, more these add additional content.
      Does though seem for families, its going to be the biggest hit, a lot of the youtube redtube content is really aimed at a no ad zone for the younger generation.
      Its early and will be another gamechanger and intersting battle to follow.
      Makes me wonder what skys future plans are for this. They will certainly need to get all these apps/services on their future boxes and do some kind of reduced cost customer deal to have some of them there.
      In sport also, mostly motorsport, the apps for live, stats and extra content is plentiful, but very good, but noticed its getting to the stage where many are picking and choosing which series to follow/pay for.

Do see it will be very tricky a number of years down the line and ofcom and the EU sticking their noses in and pushing the content providers to share content for the supposed customer benefit.