Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

E4 election day shutdown

This is a discussion on E4 election day shutdown within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; E4 will 'shut down' on election day - BBC News Channel 4 will shut down E4 on the day of ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

E4 election day shutdown

E4 will 'shut down' on election day - BBC News

Channel 4 will shut down E4 on the day of the general election, in a bid to encourage more young people to vote.

Instead of The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother, viewers tuning in on 7 May will see "Darren", the man in charge of keeping E4 on air, sitting in the channel's control room.
      It is believed to be the first time a UK channel has closed on polling day.

E4 is one of the most popular youth channels on television, reaching 8.7 million 16-34 year olds every month.
      Its regular schedule will be suspended from 07:00 BST, when polls open, to 19:00 BST, when the channel will return to normal with Hollyoaks (polling closes at 22:00 BST).

Dan Brooke, Channel 4's chief marketing officer said: "Less than half of under-25s voted at the last election so we've engaged the most powerful weapon that we have at our disposal to try and boost that number - switching off their favourite TV channel for the day."

A pre-election advertising campaign, running on all of Channel 4's stations, will alert viewers to the reason for E4's absence.
      The adverts will ask viewers: "How many times have you missed life-changing events because you wanted to watch your favourite show?
      "May 7 is election day and Darren is going to turn E4 off so you might as well go and vote. You won't forget will you Darren?"
      However, viewers will only be able to use the switch-off as an excuse to vote if they have already registered - and the deadline has already passed.

Meanwhile, Channel 4 will present an "alternative" to the election night coverage on the BBC and ITV, with a programme co-anchored by Jeremy Paxman and comedian David Mitchell.

Paxman, who left BBC Two's Newsnight last June, said: "Elections matter. But that doesn't mean the coverage has to be dull. I hope there'll be room for both insight and laughter."
      David Mitchell added: "Our aim is to keep people watching much later than they intended and we will be judged by the dip in the nation's productivity on Friday 8 May."

The show will also include special election-themed episodes of Gogglebox and The Last Leg.
      The BBC's coverage of the election will be anchored by David Dimbleby, while Tom Bradby presides over ITV's election show and Adam Boulton anchors Sky's coverage.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: E4 election day shutdown

What a joke! I'm sure that that age group has plenty of other things to occupy there time! Perhaps one of the other 3 or 4 hundred channels available, or the Internet or social media, or there Xbox's and Play stations, Or? I could go on!
      I can't imagine any youngster who is not that interested in voting, is going to think:
      'Oh my god E4 is off air! I am so so bored! there is nothing for it I'm just going to have to go and vote!
      Last edited by Koala5; 24-04-15 at 10:55 AM.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Exactly.

I thought it was so odd i had to post it.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

Persoally I think that all the MPs, SMPs, WMPs, NIMPs and all the prospective candidates should be dumped in a very very very deep hole. Then for that hole to be filled with quick setting concrete.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

vfx
      vfx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub 2 SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x4 MS
      Thanks

They'll just be replaced.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
      They'll just be replaced.
      Perhaps this is true, but they might be a little more honest and actually have some proposals that are correct for the country.

I think that any replacements should have a mental age at least 15 years above the current crop. Ok that would place it in the late teens, but it's better than what we have.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms