Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

More Freeview HD Channels on the way

This is a discussion on More Freeview HD Channels on the way within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; ...from early 2014 in the 600mhz band: http://www.seenit.co.uk/bbc-to-launc...acity/0728818/ The BBC says it will launch five new subscription-free HD channels after ...

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

...from early 2014 in the 600mhz band:

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bbc-to-launc...acity/0728818/

The BBC says it will launch five new subscription-free HD channels after telecoms regulator Ofcom confirmed plans to boost the amount of spectrum available for Freeview channels.Ofcom has awarded transmission company Arqiva a temporary licence for spectrum freed up by the digital switchover which will allow up to ten additional high-definition channels to be broadcast on digital terrestrial TV (DTT).

The licence runs until the end of 2018.

The BBC’s new channels – BBC News HD, BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD – will launch by early 2014 with additional channels from other providers expected to follow soon after.

At present the DTT platform – which provide the live channels on both Freeview and YouView – is limited to just four HD channels. The arrival of new subscription-free HD channels is likely to boost the number of homes who buy a HD TV or set top box.

That in turn could allow the entire DTT platform to move to a more capacity-efficient broadcasting system, meaning it would need less spectrum in future.
      Ofcom says just 20% of households who watch DTT currently have a HD capable product and retailers will be hoping the arrival of new channels spurs interest in newer equipment such as LED TVs which offer major improvements in picture quality.

Arqiva says channels on the newly released space will be available to up to 70% of the UK population. The BBC says it will also offer its channels to satellite and cable operators to ensure they’re available to all licence fee payers.

BBC Director-General, Tony Hall, says: “BBC One HD and BBC Two HD have already proved to be highly valued by our audiences and I’m delighted that we’re able to follow this with the launch of five new subscription-free BBC HD channels by early 2014. These new channels will allow us to showcase more of our programming at its very best.”
      Last edited by stereohaven; 16-07-13 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Spielung...
      Scubbie likes this.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: More Freeview HD Channels on the way

These will also be available on all digital platforms according to avforums, so I assume sky too.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Providing that they can all agree on things first.

Sadly the BBC Red Button HD channel is not currently available on Sky, yet is being transmitted via the Astra satellites.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      These will also be available on all digital platforms according to avforums, so I assume sky too.
      Glad to see you read the quote...

The BBC says it will also offer its channels to satellite and cable operators to ensure they’re available to all licence fee payers.

I blame it on the heat!

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I was thinking that it's been possible for a long time & the bbc have only gone HD on all channels now because freeview have opened up the bandwidth.

Which seems a little fairer than being available via sat/cable only, considering we all pay the licence fee.
      Still need a HD tuner inside something though of course.

They've got to be careful after this:
      BBC scraps 98m digital initiative, admits 'huge waste of licence fee money' - Media News - Digital Spy

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stereohaven View Post
      Glad to see you read the quote...

I blame it on the heat!
      Fair shout, I had to re read it three times as the article is heavily weighted on free view (as is the thread subject)
      stereohaven likes this.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I suspect Freeview is the easier option because you just need to feed the 'local' content to the appropriate transmitter(s) and your distribution is complete when a suitable MUX is available due to the changes. Satellite presents a who lot additional problems such as obtaining duplicate transponders for all the current 'local' feeds. Not an easy task and not cheap. I half expected the BBC to say 'local' HD content would be available via iPlayer as this involves far less additional costs as well as not needing more transponders.

Remember providing all the 'local' production facilities with HD capable equipment won't be cheap, it's far more than just slipping in an HD camera you need a complete HD infrastructure such as editing suites and so forth. Historically BBC TV has shipped out old equipment to 'local' sites when renewing at main studios but that won't be an option this time.

I also suspect the Beeb were worried that Freeview was in danger of disappearing with satellite/cable/IPTV and so forth. This places a marker in the terrestrial spectrum and I'd dare any government to now sell that portion off to the mobile phone industry.

Thanks

Of course there is a degree of pressure for the local BBC stations to have HD capabilities.

One additional issue now will be for when a local station records a news event that may be rebroadcast on the national network for the BBC. If the BBC News HD Channel has to keep broadcasting SD quality output, then someone is going to ask why? The next question will be something to do with the budget.

Sky News HD has been broadcast for a few years now. Most of the ITV network now shows HD content for all their broadcasts. I accept that not all of STV is shown in HD. This is annoying for those affected as they do not get any ITV content in HD.

I believe that the BBC2 HD channel is the same for the whole of the UK. BBC2 actually has national broadcasts (England, Wales, Northern Ireland & Scotland).

I know that the additional broadcasts cost more money. I appreciate that there may be a desire to upgrade everything in due course to HD. For the time being we are left with a stepping stone as everyone tightens their belts, unless you are one of the BBC directors who lost their job last year.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Rturner003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01242
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

It is not actually as many channels as first sounds as if it is like Sky the children's channels will share the space with Three and Four

Thanks

True, but it is a step in the right direction.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast