Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Freesat says 4oD coming to Free Time in June, contradicts Channel 4

This is a discussion on Freesat says 4oD coming to Free Time in June, contradicts Channel 4 within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; Freesat says 4oD coming to Free Time in June, contradicts Channel 4 - Recombu Looks like Freesat wont be getting ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

Freesat says 4oD coming to Free Time in June, contradicts Channel 4

Freesat says 4oD coming to Free Time in June, contradicts Channel 4 - Recombu
      Looks like Freesat wont be getting 4oD out to Free Time as quickly as we first though. We've now been told to expect 4oD to land in June.

After we were told earlier that we'd see 4oD landing on Free Time this month, we've since been told by Freesat spokespeople that his isn't the case. Here's the official statement:

"An update for our customers about 4OD on . Were doing everything possible to launch in June, and will be unveiling the exact date very soon. Both Freesat and Channel 4 teams are working really hard to get this right and we promise itll be worth the wait."

Thats a little different to what we originally heard from Sarah Rose, commercial & business development Channel 4.

Free Time from Freesat is a new service that blends regular digital satellite TV with on-demand catch-up content accessed through a super-slick programme guide. Its perhaps best thought of the Freesat equivalent of YouView, except that YouView launched with a fuller range of on-demand services.

As well as this, Freesat has also announced plans to get Demand 5, Channel 5s on-demand service live by the end of the Summer:

"Were working closely with the Channel 5 team to launch Demand 5 on . Its been a challenging engineering exercise, as were both using shiny new html5 tech, and were both really sorry that its taking longer than originally planned. Wed never launch anything but the best, so please bear with us for a bit longer whilst we get this right. Were all confident that by the end of Summer 2013, Demand 5 will be live on and will keep you posted on the exact date."

Exact launch dates for both 4oD and Demand 5 have yet to be confirmed but we'll keep you posted as soon as we hear anything official.

2. Advertisement
      Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Freesat says 4oD coming to Free Time in June, contradicts Channel 4

Hmm, so I need to shell out another hundred quid plus on a special "Free Time" freesat box to access 4oD and ITV player now instead of my regular 100+ Humax Freesat box?

I'll just stick with my PS3 methinks.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

It's a bit like the Personal Computer scene in the 1980's. Everyone invented their own box and operating system and all required different hardware. Some struggled on for a few years but were eventually destined for obscurity when the winner was finally announced - the original IBM PC. The IBM wasn't the best nor the cheapest but it supplied a set of standards for the industry to work to and the rest is history. I can see some similarities with the current masses of competing hardware with competing OS's. The consumer will decide with his wallet and his feet!

Thanks

I can't see why a firmware update can't be rolled out to many of the existing Freesat+ & Freesat+ HD STBs to allow 4oD, just like Sky did with the Sky+ HD STBs.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I can't see why a firmware update can't be rolled out to many of the existing Freesat+ & Freesat+ HD STBs to allow 4oD, just like Sky did with the Sky+ HD STBs.
      I suspect the reason is Sky as sole supplier have control over all the STB's whereas Freesat has a number of independent suppliers who will have their own firmware to run Freesat software. So it will be much more complex with differing versions needed for differing Freesat STB's.

Thanks

True enough. I would have expected each to be able to add the various players though.

Of course it would be too easy for all the providers to work to the same standard.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      True enough. I would have expected each to be able to add the various players though.

Of course it would be too easy for all the providers to work to the same standard.
      The trouble is likely that that both ITV and Ch4 both apply DRM to their streams and use server side scripts to obscure their content whereas the iPlayer uses a very simple system and does not apply DRM at source. Ch4 in fact radically changed its encryption system a few months back. I'm not familiar with the hardware/firmware capabilities of the regular boxes but my guess would be they don't have the capability to deal with it. My Humax box hasn't had a firmware update since 2008 despite getting a message every day about would I like to check for updates? It won't even show the iPlayer HD streams.

Thanks

I would definitely check for some firmware updates.

Some of the hidden firmware changes in the current Sky+ HD firmware will affect your STB.

Saying that, the top end Humax Foxsat needed an emergency firmware update last summer due to the Olympics. It could not cope with the system which the BBC were using.

Thanks

Its permanently connected to the 'net, there are just no updates for my model.

A thread here seems to confirm my suspicions about the lack of firmware/hardware capability of the non-freetime boxes:

Humax Foxsat-HDR and 4oD, Freetime etc - freesat

I can view iPlayer HD content as well as ITV player and 4oD on my PS3 though so it's no big deal. No Ch5 yet, though. Mind you, I've yet to find much worth watching there anyway.