Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Google targets spam apps, malware and clones in Play Store

This is a discussion on Google targets spam apps, malware and clones in Play Store within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; Google targets spam apps, malware and clones in Play Store (Wired UK) Google plans to rid its Android app store ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Google targets spam apps, malware and clones in Play Store

Google targets spam apps, malware and clones in Play Store (Wired UK)
      Google plans to rid its Android app store of malicious apps, obvious copycats and spam. Big changes to the Google Play developer policies mean that rogue apps will be booted from the shop in September.

In an email to Android developers -- picked up by Android Central -- Google says that its updated policy provides "more detail on the kinds of dangerous products that are not allowed on Google Play."

That includes apps that collect information (such as location or behavior) without the user's knowledge, and apps that cause users to unknowingly download or install stuff from outside of Google Play.

Apps that send text messages or emails without some kind of notification will be against the rules, as they are considered spam apps. Same goes for apps that are primarily designed to drive affiliate traffic to a website.

Google is also restricting the use of names or icons that are confusingly similar to existing system apps -- "to reduce user confusion" -- and restricting in-app purchases to Google Play's proprietary payment system...

2. Advertisement
      FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Google targets spam apps, malware and clones in Play Store

About time, but it doesn't go far enough.

That includes apps that collect information (such as location or behavior) without the user's knowledge
      There are also apps that collect that information when there is no need to do so for the functionality, albeit they declare that in the permissions. If Google were serious, they would also ban that. However, this, from the company that captured personal details in the Streets drive-by, is not very likely!
      Wireless

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Google targets spam apps, malware and clones in Play Store

I agree with you Felix.

Going through my phone bill today I found that I was be charged 3.75 for a text message that I never asked for. It turns out that it is related to an app which I downloaded that was supposed to be free and I am not the only one.

This in my mind is exploitation and theft. I am waiting for a response before I lodge a complaint with a suitable organisation.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms