Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

• Port forwarding - Setting up Port forwarding (use existing & set up custom services)

Some programs, games and hardware may require you to open specific ports on your Sky Hub. If the product doesn't support UPnP or you have disabled this feature, then you will need to enable the specific ports to be opened and the traffic diverted to the device that the game or program is on or the specific piece or hardware.

With the Sky Hub there are a two specific pages in the GUI that you need to use. One of them is required for some custom ports so isn't always needed, the other will always be required.

We trust that this guide will provide you with the basic knowledge on how to make the changes. For guidance on specifically which ports will be needed for a program, game or hardware device, please refer to any specific guides on the forum, elsewhere on the Internet or create a suitable thread.

There are essentially two parts to setting up port forwarding on this router. The first part is to create a 'Service'. The second is to forward the 'Service' to a particular IP Address. There are some services which are predefined.

Step 1
      Note down which ports you need to open and for which device. Setup static IP Addresses for each device that requires a port to be forwarded to. Please see the guide on 'IP Address Reservation' to help with this or set a fixed IP Address on the device.

For the purpose of this guide we will assume that your router is using the default IP Address and that you want to set up ports 21 and 12345 to be forwarded to something with an IP Address of 192.168.0.200.

Port 21 happens to be a predefined service. We will need to create a 'Service' for port 12345.

Step 2
      Using your browser, type in your router's IP Address ( 192.168.0.1 ).

Step 3
      Click on the 'Security' tab. At this point you may be asked to enter router's username and password details. The defaults are:

• username: admin
      • password: sky (unless you have changed this)

Please note: Both of these should be entered using lowercase letters only.

Step 4
      Now click 'Firewall Rules'.

Under 'Inbound Services' click the 'Add' button to see the screen below:

Click the arrow beside where is says 'Service HTTP(TCP:80)' and a list of predefined 'Services' will be shown. Check to see whether the port you wish to forward is listed here. In this first instance we are looking to forward to port 21 for an FTP device. Both ports 20 and 21 are listed together in one service, select this option.

Change the 'Action' from 'BLOCK always' to 'ALLOW always'.

Now enter the IP Address next to ' Send to LAN Server'. In this example we are using the address 192.168.0.200.

Your screen should now look as shown below:

Now click the 'Apply' button.

Step 5
      The above is great for any 'Services' that have been previously defined, but sometime you need to create your own specific service to enable a port to be forwarded to a device. In our example we want to forward both ports 21 and 12345. Port 21 was listed, but port 12345 is not. We now need to create a 'Service' for port 12345.

To do this, now click on 'Services' and you will see the screen below (I have blanked out ones which I have defined previously):

Now click on the 'Add Custom Service' button. You will now see the screen below:

In the box beside 'Name' type in a suitable name for the service that you are creating.

Change type as require. In this example we are going to change this to 'TCP/UDP'.

Now enter the number '12345' in the box beside 'Start Port' and 'Finish Port' as this is the port we wish to create the service for. In our example we are using just one port number. If you are creating several custom ports, it makes sense to group them all together sequentially and create one rule for them all. So if you were forwarding ports 12345 to 12400 you would have '12345' as the ' Start Port' and '12400' as the 'Finish Port'.

Click the 'Apply' button.

You should now be taken back to the 'Services' screen which should now show the service that you have now created, as shown below:

Step 6
      This is much the same as you did in order to forward port 21 in step 4 above. So click 'Firewall Rules' and under 'Inbound Services' click the 'Add' button.

This time when you select the services you will now see your customised service listed. Please select it.

Beside where it says 'Action' change this to 'Allow always'

Set the TCP, UDP or TCP/UDP option as required and type the IP Address in the boxes beside where it says 'Send to LAN Server'.

You should now have something like the screen below:

Click the 'Apply' button.

Your screen should look something like show below:

You may reorder the port forwarding if you wish and finally click the 'Apply' button.

Remember that when testing a port is being forwarded it is best practise to do it from outside your LAN. If you have a smart phone, you could use its 3G connection to look at your network from the outside and check the actions of the port forwarding.
      Comments 17 Comments
        akat -
        I have set the inbound rules as : 1) default : http (TCP 80) [ this failed and 2) replaced with FTP ( TCP 21:21) > Always allow > Lan server ; 192.168.0. x >>> Port forward name = yawcam > Type TCP > Port from 8081 to 8081 ... >> Yawcam online status check is ok and everything looks fine ( Im making a little progress at last ) : for http://2.223.xxx.xxx:8081 ( I can successfully ping 2.223.xxx.xxx) > but when I type this url to access the yawcam the url cannot be found ..ie web address is incorrect ... pls help
        Scubbie -
        Could you try setting up the port forwarding for both TCP & UDP? This may correct the issue.

Also the home IP Address will change periodically. I would highly recommend that you set up a DynDNS address. If you do not already have one set up, check out this link for a free account:

https://www.dlinkddns.com/login
        akat -
        thanks .. tried port forwarding settings tcp.udp : Start : 8000 , Finish :8888 > yawcam online status check is still good but I still cant access the page.. The router address is 192.168.0.1, but the wifi connects to IP 192.168.0.9 ..( So I have changed to that.. and alternated between the two addresses but to no avail ).. I will try the DynDNS setting..my router is a Sky SR101 ..( Not a dlink .) .. your help is appreciated
        Scubbie -
        Sorry for the delay in responding. I can't understand what is happening properly here now. The knowledge I need would be to down with your Yawcam.

I know that you have contributed to a thread on the main forum. Hopefully the answer is there, else please fell free to comment there as more people will be able to assist you.
        akat -
        Thanks Scubbie... Ive cracked it after experimenting with variations of firewall rules and services setting, and gradually found the match ... would never have done it without you !!.. yawcam now singing and dancing ... Im happy again ... much obliged
        Scubbie -
        Well done. It would help, if you haven't already done so, if you would be kind enough to make some screen shots and post what you have done to get it all to work.

Please do not provide the actual port numbers that you are using and use something such as Photoshop to wipe the actual port number details from the screen shots.

If you could post them in a new thread of in the Yawcam thread it would make it easier for someone else doing the same thing.
        Aasof -
        I have read the advice on the Sky (official) forum and have read - and tried - the advice here.
        I'm trying to port forward an Avtech AVN80X camera using 'eagleeyes) and have tried everything advised.

I can access the camera over the wireless connection on both iPad and iPhone.
        However neither 'Alarms' with the 'Guard' something I'm sure should happen over the wireless connection?
        If the 'Guard' doesn't work then I guess the 'push video' isn't going to work?

Everything I try results in the camera 'blinking a Port Forwarding' problem.

I am using a MAC desktop but didn't think that Port Forwarding relied on a need to access the PC?

This camera was difficult to set up on an O2 Router - I eventually got it work but have forgotten how!

Peter (Aasof)
        Scubbie -
        Do you still have your O2 router?

I am thinking that someone familiar with the O2 router may be able to go through with you the settings that you used there and then help you to get the equivalent settings on your SR101.
        Aasof -
        Hello Scubbie - thanks for the response. theoretically it should be simple on the SR101 but maybe I'll have to retry with the O2 Thompson. Meanwhile I've trawled around the net and found a few with a similar problem. I have tried everything a number of times.
        The most noticeable cahange was in ignoring the Avtech guidelines and saving the file as a DCHP (lights stopped blinking until I tried push video guard)
        UPNP On/Off
        Address reservation - this seems to matter as 'Attached Devices' appears to drop devices not 'reserved'
        Dynamic DNS - not sure about this! It 'appears to be set up OK, but On/Off doesn't seem to change anything.

I'm sure that on the 02 Thompson it was something 'basic' that I had overlooked. On the SR 101 I seem to have tried every thing.

On the positive side - the notes with the SR101 have (so far) stopped me really messing up my broadband connection.

If i can't resolve it this week - I'll take your advice ant retry with the Thompson.

Thanks Peter (Aasof)
        Un_Known -
        just not helpful at all.
        you need to assume none of us are IT experts. thats WHY we came to this page!
        dose that help?

for example.
        how does a non-expert know what http,ftp,etc etc etc are? let alone the rest.
        is it for a pareticulat game? p2p? or so on,as these seem to use differeing protocols (TCP,UDP, etc)
        Scubbie -
        Forwarding ports on any router can be a headache for even the most experienced professional, let alone someone doing it one their own at home.

This specific article is one of several that are designed to work together to help resolve any potential problems you have. However some degree of assumption has to be made.

If someone really does need to know about HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, FTPS and all the other acronyms used within the port forwarding area, there are probably some very good articles elsewhere on the Internet. Without searching for them I don't know which one would suit you best, but I am sure that someone could direct you if you would make a suitable post on the forum.

Someone who is setting up a port forwarding on a Sky router should have a specific purpose in mind, such as setting up a NAS. This will provide them with a specific list of ports and what types of ports that need to be forwarded. So normally such knowledge is not going to be required. If you need more information that that, then you are likely to be someone who is building a server or something a lot more technical that a mere humble beginner.

Since there are a host of different devices which may require personalised port forwarding at home we can't provide a definitive list for them all. However our members have a huge amount of experience and a huge variety of their own devices to play with and test things in their home environments. If you are having a specific issue with something, please do create a new thread in a suitable section. One of the sections might be under the heading 'Sky Router'.

Sky Router

I didn't want us getting into the potential risks too much about which ports to or not to forward in general. So as a group we have not gone into this, keeping just to the specifics of the Sky Hub and how to do things. Debates on port forwarding (i.e. Pros and Cons) are welcome on the main forum and will always be subject to change with different security risks.

I mentioned other articles which work together. Please feel free to browse the 2 pages of articles to see them all, but as a quick guidance, do look at these too:

IP Address Reservation

Port forwarding - What is Port forwarding about

Port forwarding - UPnP

WAN Setup DMZ Server explained

Dynamic DNS
        bubblegun -
        Quote Originally Posted by Un_Known View Post
        just not helpful at all.
        you need to assume none of us are IT experts. thats WHY we came to this page!
        dose that help?

for example.
        is it for a pareticulat game? p2p? or so on,as these seem to use differeing protocols (TCP,UDP, etc)
        This forum isn't an official forum.
        It requires some kind of technical knowledge to find it to begin with. The forum for idiots is Home - Sky Community
        although this forum can be a better help if you don't ask idiotic questions like,
        Quote Originally Posted by Un_Known View Post
        What is http? FYI.

Have you every heard of google? It will answer all these questions and others like these.

If you have a specific problem then please post a new thread as the OP on this thread seems to have a rudimentary knowledge of these types of things.

Am I grumpy? It must be too much Spice Girls , .
        madhatter -
        Using sr101 modem. I have set up port forwarding to work with Plane Plotter, which works successfully for a day or two then goes pear-shaped. In an effort to try and resolve the issue i noticed that i could set my own IP address, which i did, but did not affect the issue. Trying to revert back to the original IP address something must have gone wrong and now i just cannot get the modem/router to function correctly. Luckily i had kept the original Sagem version which does seen to work with the original IP settings. Have I bricked the SR router? Is there any way that I can reset this? I have tried the recommended put aside for 4 hours and re-connect, used the reset button and connected using the ethernet cable - all to no avail. Help !! Many thanks
        Scubbie -
        In order to 'Brick' a router you would normally need to fail to load a new firmware.

If the SR101 is unresponsive I would suggest that you switch the SR101 on. Allow it to settle down (2-3 minutes) and then press the RESET button on the rear for a good 10 seconds.

This will wipe the router an put it back to its default settings.

Can I suggest that when you try to do you port forwarding again that you reserve an IP Address for your Plane Plotter before you set up the port forwarding? This should help.
        madhatter -
        Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
        In order to 'Brick' a router you would normally need to fail to load a new firmware.

If the SR101 is unresponsive I would suggest that you switch the SR101 on. Allow it to settle down (2-3 minutes) and then press the RESET button on the rear for a good 10 seconds.

This will wipe the router an put it back to its default settings.

Can I suggest that when you try to do you port forwarding again that you reserve an IP Address for your Plane Plotter before you set up the port forwarding? This should help.
        Joy of Joys ! I,m back on the SR101. Whilst your suggestion did not work first time around, I must have contrived to do something different the next as I am up and running. Many thanks.
        Scubbie -
        No worries. Sometimes it helps to have someone give you some confidence in the kit.
        Ontap -
        Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
        No worries. Sometimes it helps to have someone give you some confidence in the kit.
        i just followed your procedure and forwarded port 32400 to my sky hub and am now able finally to connect to my mac ( PMS ) from outside of my local network on iPad . many many tx have been trying to sort this for weeks.
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION