Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

This Cloud is this the Sky Wi-fi I'm supposed to get free with my broadband?

This is a discussion on This Cloud is this the Sky Wi-fi I'm supposed to get free with my broadband? within the The Cloud forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just started my Sky fibre broadband and I've downloaded the free App for Sky Wi-fi into my new Medion Android ...

dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This Cloud is this the Sky Wi-fi I'm supposed to get free with my broadband?

Just started my Sky fibre broadband and I've downloaded the free App for Sky Wi-fi into my new Medion Android smartphone its called PEGI 3.
      When I try to register this device I get the message "This device is not supported by iOS version installed in your device. Upgrade App to latest version"
      What is iOS?
      Is it the App download PEGI 3 that is wrong or my Medion system?
      How do I correct please?

2. Advertisement
      lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: This Cloud is this the Sky Wi-fi I'm supposed to get free with my broadband?

Quote Originally Posted by dnpark38 View Post
      Just started my Sky fibre broadband and I've downloaded the free App for Sky Wi-fi into my new Medion Android smartphone its called PEGI 3.
      When I try to register this device I get the message "This device is not supported by iOS version installed in your device. Upgrade App to latest version"
      What is iOS?
      Is it the App download PEGI 3 that is wrong or my Medion system?
      How do I correct please?
      iOS is the operating system that Apple iPad/phones use. Sounds like you went to a web page to install the app for that OS?

As you have an Android phone, go to the Google Play Store app and search for the sky wifi app there.
      PEGI 3 is an age rating classification, 3 means the app is suitable for age 3 and above.

The app you need for sky wifi is this one;
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dwifi&hl=en_GB

The sky wifi app needs your phone to be on 4.0.3 (Android version Ice cream Sandwich) and up.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: This Cloud is this the Sky Wi-fi I'm supposed to get free with my broadband?

Thanks for your response.
      Got the Sky Wi-fi App from the Google Play.
      It is a Medion Life bought recently at Aldi and was made 08/2016 and is Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
      So all that seems to meet what you say.

Since posting I've tried to also prepare my laptop from My Sky website in the process of doing that it instructed I had to complete at a Cloud locatio, I'm doing what I posted with the Android at home.

Thanks

Thanks for your response.
      Got the Sky Wi-fi App from the Google Play.
      It is a Medion Life bought recently at Aldi and was made 08/2016 and is Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
      So all that seems to meet what you say.

Since posting I've tried to also prepare my laptop from My Sky website in the process of doing that it instructed I had to complete at a Cloud locatio, I'm doing what I posted with the Android at home.
      Ok, for the price they are not bad smartphones. Not the fastest or greatest, but do most things well.
      The phones we have had from Medion, also do not come with much bloatware, which is always welcome.
      We often have some of them in our testing bed for testing Android apps and they always work well.

I use sky wifi a lot out and about.
      I use on a phone or tablet, not a laptop.

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Free sky Wi-Fi and the Wi-Fi with your sky fibre are 2 different things. Are you trying to set up your phone and laptop with your home Wi-Fi, or with sky's Wi-Fi hotspots for when you're away from home?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayhab View Post
      Free sky Wi-Fi and the Wi-Fi with your sky fibre are 2 different things. Are you trying to set up your phone and laptop with your home Wi-Fi, or with sky's Wi-Fi hotspots for when you're away from home?
      Yes both are working at home via the Sky Hub wi-fi.
      Now trying to set up the Android for the Sky Cloud and install the Sky Wi-fi App. it fails with the error message in my original post.
      Also would like to use my lap top with the free mobile wi-fi and have tried the instructions in My Sky but I seems I have to do that when at my first Cloud location then ok for the future.

So yes aware of the two types of wi-fi and also the two different ways for the two different devices.

Thanks

Now trying to set up the Android for the Sky Cloud and install the Sky Wi-fi App. it fails with the error message in my original post.
      Also would like to use my lap top with the free mobile wi-fi and have tried the instructions in My Sky but I seems I have to do that when at my first Cloud location then ok for the future.

So yes aware of the two types of wi-fi and also the two different ways for the two different devices.
      Can you take a screenshot of the error message that you have and post it here?

For the pc, you do need to be at a sky wifi cloud hotspot location to complete the sign up and setup, looking for the _The Cloud network that will then be listed on your pc available networks.
      Detailed here http://wifi.sky.com/not-in-hotspot

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Ok that's clearer!

If I remember correctly, the Sky Wi-Fi app does very little except advise you where the nearest Sky hot spot is; I believe, once at a hotspot, you just connect using your Sky account details? It is a fair few years since I set mine up though; if I select WiFi at a Sky hotspot now, it just connects automatically.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

My App did that when Android M first came out but it works fine now. My phone uses Android 6.0.1

You can still use "The Cloud" hotspots but you will need to remember your Sky ID details to log-in to the hotspots manually. They have a Sky account option on their sign-in page. Essentially the App just saves a wifi profile on your phone so you don't need to manually enter them every time.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky