Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Very stupid question - apols in advance!

This is a discussion on Very stupid question - apols in advance! within the The Cloud forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've downloaded the Cloud app and it seems to update and do all the things it is meant to ...

Clementi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Hi,

I've downloaded the Cloud app and it seems to update and do all the things it is meant to do. I have registered my device and it seems to show up too but I simply cannot work out how to connect to any of the hotspots.

eg In my local area, there appear to be loads of hotspots, some practically next door to me! They show up but when I click on them it simply takes me to a page which asks if I want directions to the place. I don't! Or do I actually have to be AT the place, or the coffee shop, or wherever, to log in?

Next week I am going up to London (big scary prospect for a home-loving Welsh person!) and I would like very much to use my cloud access but I really do not know what I'm doing. I'm so sorry, I know this is very dim of me!

So, ok, I have the app on the device, it works, it updates, I know how to put in a postcode or streetname and update it for my area, I know how to zoom in on the places nearest, I know how to click on them (eg a coffee shop) but then what?

How do I actually CONNECT to any of these cloud spots?

I'm VERY keen to understand all of this because I'm considering buying a Galaxy Note 10.1 wifi but can't really afford the 3G model so if I can work out how to use The Cloud it would be wonderful as there seem to be a plethora of hotspots.

Can anyone, who is feeling very kindly and who feels like explaining it very slowly to an older internet user like myself, just run through for me how I actually connect to one of the hotspots and make it work? If you could also explain how Sky Go fits in with all of this, I'd be super grateful (I have the Sky Go app installed and it works at home fine).

Thank you and so sorry for my admitted stupidity.

(Edited to add : I have Sky unlimited broadband at home so I should have free access to Cloud I think).

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Very stupid question - apols in advance!

In most cases you will have to be in the establishment offering the service. Some may work in close proximity, but most wont. When you are in the pub/shop/restaurant, click search for networks on your laptop or the app icon on your phone/tablet, then select the network you want and put in your Sky Username and Password. You should connect. Better to practise in one of your local outlets before you unleash yourself on the big city.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Clementi (23-09-12)

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You only have to put your name and password in once, my phone picks up loads of cloud hotspots easily

Sent from my iPhone

Clementi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      In most cases you will have to be in the establishment offering the service. Some may work in close proximity, but most wont. When you are in the pub/shop/restaurant, click search for networks on your laptop or the app icon on your phone/tablet, then select the network you want and put in your Sky Username and Password. You should connect. Better to practise in one of your local outlets before you unleash yourself on the big city.
      Ah, I see! Thank you so much. I plan to try this out tomorrow locally as you suggested! Believe me, you haven't seen me out in the open trying to do anything at all with my phone, let alone trying to connect to something! I'm grateful to you and also to Paul 2003. I think I just imagined you could log on if it picked up the hotspot, I didn't entirely understand that you had to be IN the establishment or very nearby at the very least.

Thanks so much, very grateful to you.

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

I can pick up hot spots outside the buildings, probably the furthest was watching my son play cricket this summer, when a picked up the bars hot spot from the boundary edge, a good 20+ metres. You don't need to sign in, once you have signed in once on your phone, The Cloud remembers you and connects automatically. If you click on the cloud app, it lists all local hotspots for you.