Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Do I need microfilters everywhere?

This is a discussion on Do I need microfilters everywhere? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi. Having problems with the sky broadband, but my first question is about Microfilters. Do I need them on every ...

blp
      blp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do I need microfilters everywhere?

Hi. Having problems with the sky broadband, but my first question is about Microfilters.

Do I need them on every extention faceplate, even if they have no telephone plugged in?

Cheers

Brett

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Do I need microfilters everywhere?

No - one on each phone, digibox etc.

"every extention faceplate" worries me. How many have you got?

If you are having problems then a quick read of the posts on the forum (especially the stickies) will address most issues. If you're confused by what you read then post back.

blp
      blp is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, thank for that.
      We moved into the house a few years ago, and the previous owner had multiple extentions around the house.

The main line has 2 downstairs and 4 upstairs.

The old (and now disconnected) line has 3 upstairs.

Are you worried about the REN count?

Cheers

Brett

PS Im getting 288kps! Even on the test socket!!! Apparently its something todo with the Sky COnnect service...but of course I bought the Max service.

welshpet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01269y
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi

I just wanted to say that having had problems with my Sky Broadband connection since last October, I have now found out that if you have an unused phone extension socket that is not being used, you can connect your router to this with no problems. As advised on the BT website - 'you don't need to use micro-filter with spare telephone extension sockets that don't have anything at all plugged in to them.'

Hope this helps someone?

welshpet

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

A far better solution would be to ensure that the Master Socket is an NTE5 Socket:

NTE5 BT Openreach Type Socket (NTE5A with bellwire filter)

Then to fit a filtered faceplate:

ADSL Faceplate Filters

If you were to go for the vDSL filtered faceplate, then it will work with both ADSL and vDSL connections:

BT/Openreach VDSL/ADSL Premium Faceplate

By using a filtered faceplate correctly, all the internal wiring after the Master Socket would no longer carry the ADSL signal and no longer cause any interference to the signal. This means that they don't need any filters.

It is also worth checking for any Alarms, etc., which may be wired to your telephone line. I know of one case where the alarm company wired the Burglar Alarm to the back of the customer's Master Socket. This caused them to have a terrible broadband speed until it was identified.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

welshpet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01269y
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi again

Thanks for the information, but BT/Openreach put a master socket in my bedroom when I had already told them that my computer was downstairs. I'm a 63 year old lady and have been having problems with my Sky broadband since last October. They have sent me up and down stairs to check that the router would work on the master socket, and then said it would be best for me to move my computer upstairs. This is not possible, and having used a computer since the 1990's downstairs, I don't see why I should move for their benefit.

I have had broadband supplied in my time from NTL; Virgin; AOL; BT; SKY; Talk Talk and back to SKY. On all these occasions I've used my desktop computer downstairs with no problem. I only started having problems after a new neighbor moved in next door and BT had connected them to my phone line and had crossed the wires leaving me with no telephone/broadband at all. A BT/Openreach engineer called and put this master socket upstairs not explaining that it would be best for me to have it downstairs.

Earlier this month having contacted Sky about this problem since last October and being at the end of my tether I decided to try connecting a spare telephone cable I had with the connector that goes strait into the telephone socket and the connector that fits into the router on the other end. Hey presto! Everything has worked since doing this. I Googled 'why do we need micro filters?' and found on the BT website that they say there is no need to use micro-filter with spare telephone extension sockets that don't have anything at all plugged in to them. So I thought I would share this with you all on the Forum.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

No problem, and thank you for sharing.

Could I suggest something which may help you though?

You profile indicates that you are on Sky Broadband Unlimited. This benefits from not being used on an extension. If you were to connect the router to the Master Socket and install a pair of Home Plugs, you should be able to get a better connection speed. To check this before hand, it might be worth starting a new thread and posting your connection stats from the current position and the Master Socket.

How to get your router statistics - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

A cheap pair:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-P...5702517&sr=8-2

A pair with a pass-through socket:
      D-Link DHP-P307AV/B 200 MBPS Pass Through PowerLine Homeplug AV Network Starter Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms